Propane Y-splitter Recommendations - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #1

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Propane Y-splitter Recommendations

Any pros and cons on specific brands of propane Y-splitters? Is there a brand that has a check valve on one side so only one hose has to be hooked up at a time? I'd hate to be leaking propane gas at the campground when I don't have my Camp Chef Ranger attached.

I've looked on amazon.com, specifically at the Bayou Classic Y-splitter but I first want to hear from the voice of experience in this collective group.

No messing around with propane!

Peg
herons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 03:56 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by herons View Post
Any pros and cons on specific brands of propane Y-splitters? Is there a brand that has a check valve on one side so only one hose has to be hooked up at a time? I'd hate to be leaking propane gas at the campground when I don't have my Camp Chef Ranger attached.

I've looked on amazon.com, specifically at the Bayou Classic Y-splitter but I first want to hear from the voice of experience in this collective group.

No messing around with propane!

Peg
If low pressure, the female QD fittings on the downstream side of a "Y" splitter will not flow propane if a male fitting is not inserted in them. In this case, you are visualizing a problem where one does not exist. Besides, if you only want to use one appliance and are "concerned," don't use the "Y" splitter. No reason to include a 2nd output if you only want or need one. The Bayou classic is high pressure. Appliances will need regulators. The acme fittings on the Bayou Classic will not flow propane unless something is connected. Again, no problem and again, if you only want one appliance, connect the single appliance directly to the tank without the "Y" fitting.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:56 PM   #3

Name: Peg
Trailer: 2016 -13' Scamp
Massachusetts
Good to know about the unused side of the splitter. I thought that was the case but wanted to be certain. I will cap it off when not in use to keep road debris from the threads.

My plan is to mount it for use on an every other day basis. So it's easier to leave it mounted than to take it off, put it on, etc.

Thanks for the advice.
herons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eco, propane