New Owners --Flood in Casita 2008 FD - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2017, 10:42 AM   #21

Name: Brian
Trailer: Owner of a Casita Spirit Deluxe - 16 foot model
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Is it? I was told previously that Casita has fiberglass under the wood- the molded bottom of the shell- but not on top. I keep hearing different things...
If you rip up the carpet and see fiberglass only, then the fiberglass totally encases the wood...which is good. I believe that all models from 2000 to the current model year are indeed encased hence you will never need to worry about the subfloor which is protected....this should be evident looking around, under cabinets......you may see carpet but if you peel it up, there should only be fiberglass, NOT wood.....check it out and post your findings....I think you will discover I am correct about this
brian05150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #22

California
assuming that I am correct and your wood sub-floor is encased, just get commerical dryers and start ventilating. If you have to hire a restoration company, they have all of the commercial equipment that can assist you, but I would use commercial heated fans and spray with mold inhibitors and such......if you want to go hardcore, you can remove the fiberglass benches to gain greater access and airflow to the wet areas. I know what you are thinking....and the removal process for this stuff is not really all that hard. The Casita is basically put together by screws and rivets.....its not difficult, but then again if you have a really nice looking Casita, I wouldn't necessarily go ripping stuff out just to put it back together again afterwards. I think drying and wet vacuuming it out you should be fine......if it were a 1998 or older....you would probably be replacing the subfloor right now.....so I think you should be good to go
Old 04-19-2017, 10:52 AM   #23

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
With carpet you can dry it out and the wood will dry out also. If you had linoleum the water could get under it from the sides and get trapped. Keep the fans and dehumidifier running and keep checking all under the cabinets and everywhere you can find to touch. We had a flood in our motorhome one time and with carpet it was able to dry out. It takes some time but it happens. Take everything out of cabinets and let them dry real good. The faster you can dry it out the better. If it is cool you can use an electric heater with a fan also.
What year is your Casita?
Old 04-19-2017, 11:02 AM   #24

California
disregard my question.......I looked at the thread title....you have a 2008 Freedom Deluxe....trust me, your subfloor is protected and encased in Fiberglass. You will be just fine....just dry it out and spray some mold inhibitor in all carpeted areas that got wet.....you will be just fine......unlike ours that had rotted wood in certain areas......do not worry about this....your clean up is very minor.....just get it dried and you are good to go!
Old 04-19-2017, 07:16 PM   #25

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Jack up the front of the trailer and get a good slope on it. Now the water will collect in areas you can predict. Then suck up as much as you can.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:05 PM   #26

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
New Owners --Flood in Casita 2008 FD

Given that the "Great Flood" happened ten days ago, I'm thinking its time for a status report.

How's it going?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:23 AM   #27

Name: Brenda
Trailer: Casita
Alabama
All's well.....

Thank you guys for all your responses!

We did exactly as you said. Hubs jacked up the front and the water ran to the back. We used the wetvac and got up as much as we could. We aired it out and ran a very powerful fan for 3 days. Use DampRid and it's all good, now.

Thank you again for all the responses. No mold. No smells. So happy that we were a) there when the water happened b) have a fiberglass encased floor and c) members of this forum.

I would have answered sooner, but we went camping!!!
holder310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:25 PM   #28

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Perfect! Love a happy ending!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita