Ventura camper heater - Coleman brand removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: Ventura
Manitoba
Ventura camper heater - Coleman brand removal

It's rusted and been told dangerous so trying to remove and it won't remove lol
It's a Coleman model 9201

How do I get it out??
And what's best way to cover hole? Instert block of wood and fibreglass outside ?
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Cheyanna83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Manitoba
Front of it without its grill
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 09:26 AM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It looks like you removed the screws and found that it wouldn't move.

This is usually caused by the telescoping tube between the back of the furnace and the outside port has rusted together and/or has a securing screw or two in it to hold it in place.

I have had good luck with this by soaking the overlap joint with a good penetrating oil such as Blaster PB and then tapping on it with a small pressure application tool (aka: hammer)

You will also have a LP line that looks like it enters from the top. You may have to remove that line first to free things up a bit. Be sure get an appropriate cap to close that off.

If you don't want to attempt the body work you might be able to make an insert to install behind the exterior vent face and clamp that in place to just block off the hole. It will look perfectly normal.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:59 AM   #4

Manitoba
Gas line is off I'll go to store see if they know what the oil is!
Hmm a insert just dont want to risk leaks as it's leaking ATM from there one thing I saw googling is to lay Sarah wrap on a simmiliar area of the camper let dry then use that to fiberglass up the hole .. I plan to paint just not yet lol it can stay unpainted for a few?
Thank you!! after work going to go smack it some more lol
Old 05-22-2015, 10:01 AM   #5

Name: Dave
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 16 Delux
Oregon
Registry
Filling the open space with a storage access door

I had a similar problem with a 1974 Compact II. The space left by the heater was used for storage and I placed a locking storage access door over the old opening.

Look in my Registry (SouthwestOregon201) and those pictures are available in the
'1974 Compact needing a facelift"
file.

Dave Heffner
Roseburg, OR
SouthwestOregon201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:09 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am going to catch some flack for this, I am sure.
I don't see any significant rust. If your furnace works, (does it work?) then I would have it looked at by a qualified tech, and use it.

But as you seem to have decided to remove it, would you be willing to sell me the gas valve? I am pretty sure I can use it on a Duo-Therm furnace.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 10:31 AM   #7

Hole Filling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna83 View Post
Gas line is off I'll go to store see if they know what the oil is!
Hmm a insert just dont want to risk leaks as it's leaking ATM from there one thing I saw googling is to lay Sarah wrap on a simmiliar area of the camper let dry then use that to fiberglass up the hole .. I plan to paint just not yet lol it can stay unpainted for a few?
Thank you!! after work going to go smack it some more lol
Gotta Say, If this is your first attempt at fiberglass repair, a large hole isn't the best place to start, especially if a total repaint is somewhere in the future. I'd wait until repaint time, then try your hand with a few smaller areas and venture forward if that works out for you.

You can remove the outside vent cover and back that up with some thin aluminum and strips of RV putty tape and there will be no leaks.

---------- Editorial Content Follows ---------------
IMHO": "Experienced" fiberglass peeps telling newbies how easy repairing and repainting a fiberglass repair job is, is sort of a disservice. Yes, it's easy for them, because at least in one case they have been doing it for 30+ years and possess the skill sets needed. But for newbies, who will be to embarrassed to mention failures, it's a bridge to far unless they are
aware of the possibility of a not-so-invisible repair. I have seen the results of some of these efforts after such encouragements and many are not a pretty sight

Me, have been doing my own fiberglass repair since doing body repairs on my 1954 Corvette (almost 50 years ago), many, many dune buggies and a stable of molded fiberglass RV.s since then, and I will never tell anyone that it's a slam dunk on the first job. There is a real learning curve, and this is why
I cover and don't repair small areas on FGRV's.
I prefer knowing exactly what it will look like when I am finished 15 minutes later.

Old 05-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #8

Manitoba
Oo awsome idea to aluminium!!
As well as the locking door! That be sold at r v store I'd assume ? I'm going to toss both ideas at hubby

David it may look brown but that is all rust and when we bought it trying to test it it wasent wanting to start .. I much rather use a small eletric counter heater if we do fall camping
Old 05-22-2015, 08:28 PM   #9

Manitoba
http://api.ning.com/files/i1ZWWwqWIM...orageafter.JPG and heres another idea after you gave me the door compartment idea southwest Oregon~!

sure thing David i missed that earlyer sorry~!! just let me know what the heck it is lol im kinda learning bumbling and tripping along on this reno project lol
Old 05-23-2015, 05:31 PM   #10

Manitoba
I got it out!!

Know for a compartment for ( love this idea) looks like my opening is 8 by 11 1/2 how I find a door this small googling with no luck
Old 05-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #11

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Uhaul had a single 4" diameter hole in the fiberglass shell for the furnace exhaust. I filled the hole with a round light to be used as an exterior "porch" light
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:52 PM   #12

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Found these on Amazon
Elmdor Dry Wall Access Door 8" x 12"

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #13

Try on eBay.com under RV parts and accessories, RV Baggage compartment doors. There is a wide variety of sizes there, you will probably have to enlarge your existing opening in at least one direction.

This link might work:

rv baggage doors | eBay

Old 05-23-2015, 10:22 PM   #14

Manitoba
Aw I was googling it under wrong name !! I'll see what Ican find I think going taller is better then wide if need be no?

Thanks so so so much appreciate this site allot!!

Tags
ventura