Interior walls - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #81

Name: Heather
Trailer: 1971 Play Pac
Pennsylvania
Registry
Rub rail!! I figured it had a name....thanks! Guess ill be ordering the 100' cause thats all I see. But having extra wont hurt for $16!

We thought about doing the whole exterior in the truck liner but havent made that decision yet.
Hubby has mentioned adding solar panels as well.....guess an inverter will be in my future.

What did you get for your solar panels, inverter, etc.
imbabyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:36 PM   #82

Name: Paul
Trailer: Play Pac Hitch Hut
Tennessee
Paul and Heather,
The rub rail can be used to hide wiring going from front to back.The track on my PP is not in great shape and will probably need to be replaced. Boat trim is probably what was used as they were manufactured by Winner boat.
Paul w
Paul west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #83

Pennsylvania
Registry
Paul w, i am interested in knowing about how i can cover the wires in the camper with the run rail. If you look at the pic above with both beds in it, you can see the wires in the right corner.
Thanks!!
Old 08-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #84

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Registry
Heather,
Let me jump in to help here ... the rub rail material which I attached a link to and which Paul W mentioned is pervasive in the boat (and trailer) industry is used only on the exterior of the trailer. They not only use it to cover up ugly rivets and keep water from pooling on the rails, but they also snake critical wiring components that power the trailer lights all the way from the front to the back of the trailer while hiding the dirty secret that the wires are external. As for your internal wires, you might want to check some options for wire hiders/ channels ... they won't be invisible, but they are usually a white plastic channel/square tube that you route all loose wires through to keep it safer and less unsightly.
Paul Chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:31 PM   #85

Tennessee
Heather,
The product Paul C was referring to is called wire mold and is readily available in a number of different styles at electrical supply outlets.
It is indeed made to hide wire runs that can't be hidden by other means.
You can legally use this in your home as it complies with code. Using it in your PP is both safe and easy. Plastic paintable wiremold would just about disappear in that corner.
Paul w
Old 09-02-2012, 07:40 PM   #86

Tennessee
Heather,
Wiremold is available at stores like Home depot. If you google wiremold a home depot link will be there among others. This stuff is versatile and can be used to add receptacles with " pancake " boxes as well as tv and speaker cables all kept out of sight.
Paul w
Old 09-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #87

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thank you to both PAULS!
Had a great weekend.....running lawnmower races haha!! We didnt win..... dropped the belt in the finale....and we were in first place at that point!! suxs!!! lol

PP did great though. no issues at all everything worked as expected. Two changes we will make, two small individual fans hanging from the storage racks, to get the big fan we had off the floor....I like mine on high, erns not so much!

And we really need an awning. we have the metal channel for one.......any ideas where to find one? And we bought one of those screen door thingys that hun over the door.....didnt work so great......do the make screen doors small enough for our PP?
Attached Thumbnails
a.jpg   b.jpg  

c.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 09-04-2012, 08:24 PM   #88

Trailer: Play Pac
For awnings:

Marti does a great job I understand: 'Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings'

Kristi also has a great reputation: Vintage Awnings

Be sure to look at the way she has to putting up an awning easier for one person.
Camilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #89

Pennsylvania
Registry
thanks camilla, i will check them out!
Old 09-05-2012, 06:10 PM   #90

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Nice Camp report/photos.

What's the word on the "insulation added paint"?
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #91

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5h Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Barry Kevin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliveAlive View Post
Nice Camp report/photos.

What's the word on the "insulation added paint"?
Ditto!! I'm anxiously looking forward to it as well!
Barry Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:45 AM   #92

I've been looking around the net at the claims on the insulating paint and found a lot of the claims were just unfounded:

Insulating Paint Additive Manufacturers Exaggerate Energy Cost Savings - Choosing a Space Heater - Epinions.com
Old 09-15-2012, 08:08 PM   #93

Name: Archie
Trailer: I think it's a boler. Pending overhaul.
Texas
I actually built a racing lawnmower just for the fun of it! I called it finishing one of the items on my "bucket list"! It would only run 40 mph on a straight away but it felt like 90! Lotsa fun!

I also have read quite a bit on insulating paints. Some say it works some say it's bs. Here is quite a discussion on a forum:

ceramic powder paint additive--really insulating? - Paint Forum - GardenWeb

Maybe BCDave can chime in with his personal knowledge and opinion.
Archie G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #94

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Seems to me that insulation typically works one of two ways. It reflects heat or traps air without providing a conductive path for heat. Think those foil like survival blankets (reflective) or a down comforter (trapped air).

More inches of trapped air = greater insulataion R value. I would think a layer of insulating paint can only provide as much trapped air as the paint layer is thick. If the paint layer is as thick as say ensolite or reflectix it could possibly provide similiar insulation value, 1/4 as thick then only 1/4 the trapped air possible so only 1/4 the insulation.

Based on my own experience winter camping I can say that 3 inches of straw covered with a canvas tarp has kept me as warm in a light sleeping bag as my very thick sub zero rated sleeping bag. Hey I figured the survival manuals all said to use dry grass or leaves to keep warm so I would test it while I had the sub zero bag handy.

It should not really require much insulation in these small campers, just enough to prevent temp difference between inside and outside from creating condensation on the walls.

The forum post above is from 2007 a later Scientific America article from 2009 pretty much shot them down as having any insulating capacity. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=benefits-of-insulating-paint

The only thing that they say these paints can do is reduce heat gain in direct sunlight if applied to the Exterior surface. Or reflect radiant heat back into a room. Does not sound like they would do much applied to a FG camper interior wall.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 07:13 AM   #95

I also have a bit of a beef on reflectix type insulation. Well, not on the value of the stuff itself, as I use it under my metal roofing on my house, but in how it's generally used by people hoping to get some insulating effectiveness out of it.

I actually called the product makers once with a question about it as I was hoping to use it for the ceiling of my camper. They told me that it wasn't a good product for my application and that I wouldn't get much value out of it by gluing it to the ceiling. They said in order to be very effective that I must have an airspace between the material and the ceiling. They said that the only way I could get the full effect is to somehow devise a way that the material does not actually touch the ceiling. The only way I can think of that it would be possible is to glue little 1"x1" strips on the ceiling and attach the stuff to that and then somehow install a covering over the top of that. Seems like a big-time hassle to me. They make it all pretty clear from their webpage:

About Reflective Technology | What About R-values?

Now isn't there one manufacturer using this as insulation now? Are they leaving the necessary airspace to justify the effectiveness or making false claims? I really don't know which one is using it or what they are claiming. I'm just putting it out there... I'm just saying....

Any comments I'd be glad to hear them.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:04 PM   #96

Texas
Heather any feedback on the insulating paint since you been acampin? I think I'm gonna try it anyway. I know it can't be like a "real" insulation install but if one coat cuts the temp 10-15 degrees, two coats should cut it 20-30 degrees!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:42 PM   #97

Pennsylvania
Registry
Hey guys and gals!! Did some cold weather camping this weekend. Used a small a 1500 watt electric heater. Outside temp was low to mid 40's! Ran heater 10 mins, yes 10, I purposely timed it. Lol inside temp was low 60's increased to 85!! I was melting and turned her off!!! Was about an hour before it dropped to just below 70! No condensation on walls at all. Windows and dome of course did. I'm new at this but I think it did great. I will be applying another coat next spring. If one is good, two should be better!! Happy camper here!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #98

Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm no scientist, so I won't argue what something could, should do or how it works. What I can say is that I needed an insulator, did some research, took the plunge and bought what I felt was the best choice for what i needed. For me personally, the results i have experienced, speak for themselves. Again, Happy Camper here!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:55 PM   #99

Texas
I wondered where you were! I'm in the same boat you were with the insulation. The paint might be the way I go. Thanks for the input.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:17 AM   #100

Pennsylvania
Registry
Hello to the House!! Wanted to update on the insulating paint. My daughter and her boyfriend made the PP home for 10 days over the holidays! Again we used a 1500 watt electric heater, temps were in the high 20's/30's most of the time they were here. When I turned the heater on before they got here it took about 20 mins to warm her up, with condensation collecting on the windows, dome, and door. As it maintained the heat the condesation went away. They were perfectly warm for 10 days!! We did have a pretty heavy rainstorm and daughter was not impressed with the accoustics of the rain on the fiberglass roof, lol! I myself love it!! lol
Anyways just wanted to give an update to my insulation paint prototype! ) We are still happy with it! Although we are thinking we might need something bigger!!

Tags
play–pac