Electric water heater in newly acquired Oxygen - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #21

Name: Leonard
Trailer: Bonair Oxygene 2002
Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leobon View Post
You are right there could be air in the water heater. When I filled it up I left the hot water tap open figuring that all the air would purge out. Since the hot water outlet from the tank is not quite at the top of it, it would be logical that there is still air trapped there. To purge the air I intend to open the pressure valve until water starts coming out. Is that the best method?
Everything works now. Between the ac input and the element there are two sensors. One shuts off the circuit at 160F and the other shuts off in case of over heating. These two sensors are small and in the middle of one there is a small metallic reset button the same colour as the rest of the sensor. By resetting this one I reestablished current all the way to the element. I had gotten a reading of only 3 ohms on the element making me think the element was bad. I had a new element ready to put in so I tested the new element. To my surprise it gave me only 3 ohms also. It should have given me around 10 or 11. I checked my old ohm meter and remembered that they needed to be calibrated. After calibration it gave me a reading of 10 - 11 ohms. Finally I did not need the new element and will be returning it for refund. I reassembled everything filled the tank with water and set the breaker On. Everything works perfectly. So, on a Atwood EHM6-SM there is a small reset button on one of the heat sensors. Press it before concluding anything. If you need to change the element you will first need to disassemble the casing. Otherwise the element does not pas through the front opening.
Leobon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oxygen