1993 Scamp 16' repair and remodel - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2015, 04:50 PM   #41

Name: Bill&Laura
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Fiver
Kentucky
Registry
I'm feeling very encouraged by this development

I think it will be much simpler to lift the sagging roof our our egg now because there is obviously some engineering problems causing our walls to bow out and by removing the poorly constructed AC mounting frame we will be in a very good position to correct the forced sag of the walls. Easy peasy...

I feel like this is a major coup for The Skank and carries a long way toward dramatically improving her chances for a complete restoration. I'm pretty excited by this simple development. Who knows, she may even earn a new name.

Whooohoooo!
Old 12-14-2015, 08:38 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It wouldn't be easy to pop rivets and get that much deflection during installation. Makes me wonder whether poor design caused things to shift and pop apart under tow. Or maybe it was already separating when the AC was added. Who knows?

In any case, you're on the path to recovery. Getting that closet re-installed tightly should go a long way to solving your door fit issues (that and a hinge rebuild kit from Ian).

Best wishes!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 08:29 PM   #43

Kentucky
Registry
We have good news to report today

Laura and I road tripped over to Richmond, Kentucky to visit with Mike at Central Kentucky RV Sales. I can't say enough good things about these guys at this service center. I found them online at Central Kentucky Truck & Trailer and made an appointment to have our frame and axle inspected for problems.

We arrived about fifteen minutes ahead of our 10:00 am appointment and were met by Mike and his staff and directed to back into the service bay. We had an appointment but it was clear that these guys have a lot of work going on because they service all tow vehicles as well as RVs and sell lots of truck parts from snow plows & salt spreaders to truck beds and all variety of hitches as well as several makes of RVs although I didn't see another FGRV on the lot.

Mike was courteous and quick and his staff members assured us that our inspection would be thorough and as quick as they could complete the job. However, they we cautious to point out that it might take up to two hours.

Well, we had a little Christmas shopping to do so that was fine with us because we wanted the expert appraisal from these guys. We weren't gone 45 minutes when they called and said they'd completed the inspection and that we could return when we finished shopping with a warning that they were open until 4:00 pm.

When we arrived to pick up the Skank, we were informed that our axle was in fine working order and that our frame was a little dirty and showing signs of corrosion but looked in find working order. So, we don't need to replace the axle and we dodged another expensive bullet! We made it out of there for $25, the cost of the labor and a great feeling about a bunch of good guys.

I just gotta say again, if you find yourself in Central Kentucky and have a need for service, these guys are great. Well, they sure treated up with professionalism and courtesy.
Attached Thumbnails
20151219-0011.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:53 PM   #44

Kentucky
Registry
size does matter and 4" is a lot, apparently

While we were at Central Kentucky Truck & Trailer today, I learned an incredibly valuable lesson about pulling a trailer, of any kind, and what I thought was a small amount of difference between the height of the ball on our tow vehicle and the height of the hitch at level make a HUGE difference on how the trailer tows.

We changed the ball mount increasing the drop from 2" to 6" and the drive home was like we were pulling a completely different trailer. Almost all of the see-saw bouncing was gone, unless we hit a larger hole, and the Skank (Scamp) just floated along so well mannered that I was shocked. (We might even be forced to change her nic-name after today.)

This small increase in the drop of 4" leveled out the frame of the trailer while allowing the axle to do it's job and the trailer to ride so much more smoothly that it's difficult to verbalize the difference. I was shocked to hear the opinion of the service center manager when he suggested that we back the Jeep over to hook up to the Skank to compare our hitch height to the tongue height and he said, "Wow, that's a lot of difference between your hitch and the trailer." My response was that's not so much, but Mike repeated that the difference we were seeing was "major" and would create problems when towing.

Well, I'm a believer! Yes sir and I would strongly recommend that everyone ensure that your trailer is riding level behind your tow vehicle. This noobie has learned this lesson!
Attached Thumbnails
20151219-0010.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 08:56 PM   #45

Name: Dean
Trailer: Casita
Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bill and Laura,

Very good news. Now you can concentrate above the frame and axle. I hope your Xmas shopping was just as productive, but I bet more expensive than the $25 you spent at the RV service center!

Take care,

Dean
DeanCHS1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #46

Kentucky
Registry
Hi again,

Thanks for post #44. We are close to being able to hook up our new to us Casita to our new to us tug. I appreciate you sharing your experiences and thoughts. I will be dealing with this issue shortly.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 PM   #47

Kentucky
Registry
Thanx for your comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanCHS1980 View Post
Hi Bill and Laura,

Very good news. Now you can concentrate above the frame and axle. I hope your Xmas shopping was just as productive, but I bet more expensive than the $25 you spent at the RV service center!

Take care,

Dean
Dean, thanx for jumping in and leaving a comment.

Actually, we've given up on trying to buy a Merry Christmas and many of our gifts are homemade. This time, however, the idea screamed "store bought" so we headed to LongRider Leather in London, Kentucky. We're never disappointed there and always have a great time while exercising self control telling ourselves "no" to prevent credit card overload. We did get out of there with about $25 tab so it was a great day all around.
Old 12-19-2015, 09:27 PM   #48

Kentucky
Registry
Bill and Laura,

Nice! I am in London and Richmond from time to time as well as Frankfort for meetings, plus in Lexington to see my daughter who is at UK.

I will check out LongRider Leather.

So, what is the next step for your Scamp?

Dean
Old 12-20-2015, 08:32 AM   #49

Kentucky
Registry
Time to prioritize the long to-do list

Quote:
Bill and Laura,

Nice! I am in London and Richmond from time to time as well as Frankfort for meetings, plus in Lexington to see my daughter who is at UK.

I will check out LongRider Leather.

So, what is the next step for your Scamp?

Dean
It's time to begin the serious work of renovation now that we've received the all clear on the frame and axle. Here's the horse-n-cart issue that we have: We've never camped before. Well, that's not completely true since Laura has backpacked, a lot, as a child and I've camped more than a little when I was a boy, starting in the back of our station wagon and eventually living in a 55' mobile home. That experience is old and we have changed so much as individuals that we need to consider the fact that we might not like RV camping. Therefore, we want to "try" camping before we are any deeper into the expense of renovation.

We have created a to-do list that has been prioritized between "needs" vs "wants." The next thing on the list in order of priority is to replace the missing Reflectix insulation and seal any leaks around the windows; specifically the bathroom window that we know is leaking. Then, to replace any missing or loose rivets. Next, replace the old floor covering with new vinyl sheeting. Finally, we'll be ready to re-install the dinette and test our egg by actually sleeping in it, probably in our driveway or someplace very close to home in what could be considered a dry run.

The "want list" is substantial and includes replacing all electrical wiring. All of the electrical is working now but I hate the idea that it looks like multi-colored spaghetti and is loosely laying around on the floor. I'd also like to replace all the plumbing with new clean pipe for all supply lines. We'll be adding a new Thetford toilet, an awning, new leveling jacks, tire skirts, etc. But first, it's the need-to-have stuff.

Stay tuned as we move forward with the Skank reno. There will be pictures.
Old 12-20-2015, 08:58 AM   #50

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
In order to know if you like camping, you certainly have to try it. But it starts with a mindset. Typically owners of small-all-molded-towables like to be outside. Once we open the door to the trailer and step outside, that's the living room. Lots of folks driveway camp. That may be to see if all the systems work and if the bed is comfortable enough and you have the right cookware . I certainly wouldn't do that just to determine if you like camping.

I hope your first trip is to a place you want to visit and enjoy. And you make a ton of great memories that first time
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:49 PM   #51

Kentucky
Registry
Oh, the memories have already started and continue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
In order to know if you like camping, you certainly have to try it. But it starts with a mindset. Typically owners of small-all-molded-towables like to be outside. Once we open the door to the trailer and step outside, that's the living room. Lots of folks driveway camp. That may be to see if all the systems work and if the bed is comfortable enough and you have the right cookware . I certainly wouldn't do that just to determine if you like camping.

I hope your first trip is to a place you want to visit and enjoy. And you make a ton of great memories that first time
Donna, we have already enjoy our Scamp and have some great adventures in mind for places to go. Kentucky has no shortage of wonderful places to visit and Laura's mother owns a farm that is a very short distance from Cumberland Falls State Park. At night, if you sit quietly on the front porch, you can hear the water rushing over the falls. There are several places that will be so incredible for boondocking right there on the family farm. We are outdoor people and we think this is going to be great and are excited to be able to take our dogs on the planned adventures. "To infinity, and beyond!"
Old 12-20-2015, 05:23 PM   #52

Kentucky
Registry
Hi Bill and Laura,

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park is where my Laura and I went for our honeymoon in August, 1983! In fact, for fun, we went for our 30th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago.

Kentucky has a wonderful state park system in addition to Mammoth Cave National Park. We always wanted to take our girls to all the state parks, but never made it to all of them. Life gets in the way! Now that Laura and I are almost empty nesters, we want to finish doing what we started with our girls. For example, I love Natural Bridge State Resort Park.

With your new to you Scamp and us with our new to us Casita, we can learn our trailers by exploring our own state! Hey, a Kentucky park today, Alaska tomorrow!!!

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-22-2015, 01:09 PM   #53

Kentucky
Registry
not the gift I would request for Christmas

I ordered our new Thetford toilet yesterday and it should arrived with some other supplies tomorrow. We've prioritized these supplies according to our criteria for getting things back together for "test" camping. A porta-potty would not normally be high on my list of "Christmas wishes," but hey...

The next shipment includes the Thetford toilet, a quart of Por15, the spare tire mount for the rear bumper and some butyl tape for the leaky windows. I hope to be able to work on sealing the leaky bathroom window next week while I'm off work for the holiday using the last of my vacation for 2015 (so I don't loose it).

I'll be visiting Lowe's and Home Depot for a few things as well, providing the budget allows for additional expenses. We've decided on vinyl flooring to replace the basic carpet the PO had installed. We have dreams of Ian's special collapsible table legs for a new table top, but that'll have to wait for budget review as well because that'll may be the most expensive thing on our rebuild wish list. I'll get some pictures as soon as we receive our new supplies.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:13 PM   #54

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Hi Bill and Laura,

Cumberland Falls State Resort Park is where my Laura and I went for our honeymoon in August, 1983! In fact, for fun, we went for our 30th wedding anniversary a couple of years ago.

Kentucky has a wonderful state park system in addition to Mammoth Cave National Park. We always wanted to take our girls to all the state parks, but never made it to all of them. Life gets in the way! Now that Laura and I are almost empty nesters, we want to finish doing what we started with our girls. For example, I love Natural Bridge State Resort Park.

With your new to you Scamp and us with our new to us Casita, we can learn our trailers by exploring our own state! Hey, a Kentucky park today, Alaska tomorrow!!!

Take care,

Dean
Dean, we spent New Years having a picnic on top of Natural Bridge years ago when the children were still very little. If I remember correctly, there was quite a bit of "carry me" on the way both up and down because it may have been beyond the capacity of tiny legs, but it was incredible.

Yukon or Arizona desert, the horizon is the limit! Let's roll!

bill
Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 PM   #55

Kentucky
Registry
Hey Bill and Laura,

You seem to be moving things along! Hey, if Santa can bring me a brake controller, he can bring you a Thetford toilet!!! Hey, send some pictures of the vinyl flooring that you choose. I think that will be one of our first upgrades in a year or two. Our goal is to get used to the trailer by using it! Laura will do some decorating. That is all I hope we do. After a couple of camping seasons, we will be ready for some bigger projects.

Take care,

Dean
Old 12-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #56

Kentucky
Registry
Brown Santa has arrived! (UPS delivery)

Our order for the Thetford Curve toilet and the spare tire mount have arrived via UPS this morning. We also ordered some POR15 for addressing some of the rust and corrosion on the frame so we'll be doing that as weather/temperatures permit.

I would say that we have received our Christmas gifts early from Santa, but who, in their right mind, would ask Santa for a toilet for Christmas?! Jus' sayin'...
Old 12-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #57

Kentucky
Registry
Bill & Laura,

Given that you are sharing and excited about getting a portable toilet with a group that is equally excited for you, I think it is fine to admit that you asked Santa for it.

Brown Santa and toilet, interesting combination!!!

Merry Xmas,

Dean
Old 12-24-2015, 08:35 PM   #58

Kentucky
Registry
Ha ha ha! Merry Christmas to you and yours too Dean!
Old 12-25-2015, 11:55 AM   #59

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm, are were those "Truss Rods" and reinforcement plates on the front of the frame added by a previous owner? I don't think that I have seen anything like that before. Some of the Scamp 16's had a history about frame cracks and breaks in that area, and what is there may be a repair.

A little late to the party on this, but Scamps do come with some reinforcement in this area. Normally it is not as visible as what is pictured - usually sticks out from the shell a few inches. It is stock for the tongue beams to sit inside a U shaped frame from under the trailer from the factory. Hard to say for sure looking at the pictures but it does appear that a PO did added some additional support plates in that area....I say that only due to how far out they appear on the tongue frame, but then again perhaps not.

BTW the trailer coupler for sure has been changed out and not original to the Scamp.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #60

Kentucky
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
A little late to the party on this, but Scamps do come with some reinforcement in this area. Normally it is not as visible as what is pictured - usually sticks out from the shell a few inches. It is stock for the tongue beams to sit inside a U shaped frame from under the trailer from the factory. Hard to say for sure looking at the pictures but it does appear that a PO did added some additional support plates in that area....I say that only due to how far out they appear on the tongue frame, but then again perhaps not.

BTW the trailer coupler for sure has been changed out and not original to the Scamp.
Carol, that's what I thought and the inspection at Bluegrass Truck & Trailer seem to concur with that opinion. They gave it a clean bill of "health" and we're moving on down the line with our renovation.

Tags
all electric, bed extension, bumper mount spare, external fresh water tank, extra overhead cabinets, rebuild, renovation, scamp, sixteen, sliding rear window, thetford casette toilet