Drilling holes behind burro sink - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-01-2018, 07:38 PM   #1

Name: Mary
Trailer: Burro
Nevada
Drilling holes behind burro sink

We have a 1980ish Burro and would like to hang a rod behind the sink. The fiberglass to the left of the sink seems quite thin and we were wondering if anyone knew the thickness or has hung something there with success. Thanks!
MaryVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 08:31 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Use 3M VHB tape to secure the towel rack to the thin fiberglass wall, or to some sort of backing plates. and do not use the screws or bolts through the fiberglass. If for some reason it doesn’t work out, you can always try plan B.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:10 AM   #3

Name: Mary
Trailer: Burro
Nevada
Thanks Dave and Paula! My husband was very concerned about drilling through the thin fiberglass. I'll be picking up that tape today! We just got our Burro last summer and this online community is awesome. Thanks again.
MaryVS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:36 AM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Mary,

Like Dave and Paula I am very hesitant to drill any holes in my Burro's walls. I got a couple of the stick-on towel hooks to hang behind my sink for hot pads to ride on. They're still doing fine after about 3 years. I believe I could have gotten a towel bar with the same sort of stick-on system at each end and had equal success. It's not like you need to be able to put a whole lot of weight on it, and it's protected under there where it shouldn't get grabbed hard by accident.

Good luck!
Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have actually had more luck with this Gorilla tape than I have with VHB.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:18 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
command strips

DW used 2 command strips to secure the paper towel holder to the gelcoat surface above the sink (behind the light fixture) in our Trillium 4500. Its been there at least 1 year and holding fine.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Burros seem to be almost, but not exactly, like the Uhauls with a inner shell. I've found on our Uhaul that the space between the inner and outer shells varies, some places there is a gap of a few inches, other places very little gap, so you have to be careful if you do drill any holes. A few things I attached in our Uhaul I was able to get a piece of wood between the walls for reinforcement. Uhaul used the plastic inserts in the fiberglass for attaching things like the cabinet hinges, curtain rods, and the marker lights.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro