Advice on a tow vehicle - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2017, 10:35 AM   #1

Name: ChrisAnn
Trailer: 2004 Bigfoot 17CB
Florida
Advice on a tow vehicle

I could sure use some advice on a tow vehicle for my 2004 15B17CB. The thing is I will be traveling with my Great Dane, he is still growing and is 150+ at 12mo so will top out at somewhere between 165-185 most likely. I really like my dogs to travel in a crate as #1 it's safer for them and me and 2. I can open the vehicle up for air while stopped and he is safe in his crate. The smallest crate I will be able to get away with is 48x30x33 which I use right now in a dodge caravan when we go places. Unfortunately I cant use a mini van for towing the BF when you add in all other stuff in van him, me, fuel etc then all the stuff in the camper it would just be too much. A truck it totally not feasible, I looked at a 4Runner yesterday and the back does not lay totally flat so the crate won't fit length wise and the vehicle is too narrow to fit side ways. I looked at a Yukon and I won't be able to get the crate in the back hatch I'm thinking the back hatch of a tahoe is the same but I will go look. Drove an Acadia but didn't like it. Today am going to look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango. I hate the suberbans but might be able to tolerate a Ford Expedition if I had to. I'm leaning more and more towards a van I guess. Yesterday I went and looked at a Mercedes Metris van, it's smaller than a full size V8 is bigger than a mini van and is suppose to be able to tow just under 5k (4960). Here is a link to what .I was looking at if anyone would care to check it out and give your opinion.
https://www.mbvans.com/sprinter/comm...-passenger-van

There are a few things I'm concerned about after reading the owners forums, it's made in Germany and even though you can get the "tow package" the seven pin harness doesn't accommodate electric brakes on the trailer, you can order it with a PSM (I think it's called) module which will take care of that. The other thing is ground clearance as well as how will the trailer hitch and receiver meet up? I am a COMPLETE NEWBY at any of this so forgive me if .I am totally over thinking it. It being a turbo charged engine and the cost to maintain it.
I still plan on looking at the others I've mentioned as well as some more "full size" vans.

Thanks in advance for any advice guidance you might offer.

ChrisAnn
Solowalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
We like our new Dodge Durango with the 3.6 V-6 and 8 speed transmission. It pulls our 16' Scamp easily (Scamp weighs 2930 lbs when loaded).
With the trailer package, the V-6 Durango can pull 6200 lbs (3500 without). The Hemi even more. It seems to accelerate quicker than our V-8 Dodge Dakota!
The Durango and Grand Cherokee have many similar parts, but the Durango has more interior space because it is longer.
We considered the Metris, but the low ground clearance concerned us.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #3

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
If any of the vehicles are tall enough in back, you can put a false floor in. Store things under it and put the crate on top (gets you a flat floor, and extra storage). I haven't measured heights so no idea about that. Another option is to basically build the crate in to the back of whatever you use as then you can make the crate fit as long as the vehicle is tall enough for your dog. I'd suggest a 7 passenger vehicle in that case since you want him in the passenger area. You might ask on a Great Dane dog show list as the people who routinely travel with Danes will know what works to fit their crates.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Florida
Thanks, yeah the Dane show people lean towards full size vans and sprinter vans. This dog is a "show" dog so have been keeping my eyes open to them.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:06 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 17' DLX
Alaska
Registry
Did you look at the Toyota Sequoia?
trainjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solowalkin View Post
... I really like my dogs to travel in a crate as #1 it's safer for them and me and 2. I can open the vehicle up for air while stopped and he is safe in his crate.
... A truck it totally not feasible,
We travel with 2 large breeds although not quite as big as yours. We use soft sided crates in the station wagon and chest harnesses in the extended cab of my Ranger. The chest harnesses can be connected to the seat belts. I found for my needs using the connection for baby seats worked out better.

I've been looking at replacing my Ranger. I saw a short box, crew cab, Ford F150 the other day with a rear door open in a parking lot. It blew me away. The rear crew cab seats fold up into the rear wall - leaving a large flat open floor. Ample room for my 2 to stretch out.

My thoughts are that if you can afford a new vehicle while feeding a Great Dane, you can afford to get someone to make you a custom soft sided crate to fit any vehicle. Think boats, awnings etc.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #7

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy in TO View Post
We travel with 2 large breeds although not quite as big as yours. We use soft sided crates in the station wagon and chest harnesses in the extended cab of my Ranger. The chest harnesses can be connected to the seat belts. I found for my needs using the connection for baby seats worked out better.

I've been looking at replacing my Ranger. I saw a short box, crew cab, Ford F150 the other day with a rear door open in a parking lot. It blew me away. The rear crew cab seats fold up into the rear wall - leaving a large flat open floor. Ample room for my 2 to stretch out.

My thoughts are that if you can afford a new vehicle while feeding a Great Dane, you can afford to get someone to make you a custom soft sided crate to fit any vehicle. Think boats, awnings etc.
LOL, he has already totally demolished one soft sided crate so that is not really an option. I'm not looking for a new tow vehicle, just one a couple years old with lower miles. I would like something with a factory tow package tho. My ex has and F150 crew cab and it would work except I hate the thought of having to put stuff I want with me in the bed of the truck. I'm 5'1" and 60yo don't want to climbing in and out of the truck bed.
Old 06-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #8

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by trainjunkie View Post
Did you look at the Toyota Sequoia?
I haven't yet, but it's on the list.
Old 06-05-2017, 06:42 AM   #9

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I'd be shopping the full gamut of SUVs and vans: Honda Pilot, etc.

PAY close attention to payload capacity, and get one with a generous payload so you can easily handle dog, gear, driver, tongue weight, etc.

Honda Pilot for example can be configured with 1600# plus payload (generous). Realize as you option up a vehicle, all the weight of those options reduces your payload accordingly. So check the payload of the vehicle you are buying (it should be listed somewhere on the door jam, and not the generic payload rating of the model itself.) My F150 for example can be had with a 1800 pound payload, but my loaded Lariat only has a 1450 pound payload. Tow rating is the same, but I run out of payload way before I run out of towing capacity.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Name: Bonnie
Trailer: Born Free
Virginia
There are 2 groups on Facebook that could give you lots of input. The first is RVs and Dog Shows and the other is Dog Sport Vehicles Ideas and Setups.
corgicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:14 AM   #11

Name: tony
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB
British Columbia
We bought a new Nissan Pathfinder with 6000lb to cap. I mounted a small USB fan to our dog cage to the power plug in the back. It has a roof rack for our 2 kayaks and we tow our 21' bigfoot TT fine with it. Lots of power and low fuel cost. It's a winner for towing.
ninklink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninklink View Post
We bought a new Nissan Pathfinder with 6000lb to cap. I mounted a small USB fan to our dog cage to the power plug in the back. It has a roof rack for our 2 kayaks and we tow our 21' bigfoot TT fine with it. Lots of power and low fuel cost. It's a winner for towing.
Very surprising, since the single Bigfoot 21 in the "Trailer Weights" database weighs 6360 pounds. What does yours weigh loaded for travel?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgicat View Post
There are 2 groups on Facebook that could give you lots of input. The first is RVs and Dog Shows and the other is Dog Sport Vehicles Ideas and Setups.
WOW thanks for this info, I'll be looking at them

Tags
bigfoot