'78 Beachcomber TM15 - Advice Please - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2015, 06:59 PM   #1

Name: Jason
Trailer: Beachcomber
Alberta
Registry
'78 Beachcomber TM15 - Advice Please

Hey there! new member here on the forum, I used it to gather some info on fiberglass trailers before hitting the ol' kijiji listings here.

Quick background, i'm 30 and the GF is 28, we casually camp about 4-5 times a summer and I have a little Ford Escape that can pull 3500 pounds.

We currently have a '73 tent trailer and its great, but i grow tired of setting it up and putting it away. Hence why I pushed for a fiberglass one.

I just purchased from someone in town a '78 beachcomber on a impulse since its the beginning of the 'kijij' rush i call it. Got it for $3200 and i knew i would need to put some love into it, lots of little things to tighten up and clean up.

Took it to my parents where my super handy dad has started looking into it with myself, we took the pics when we discovered i may have bit off more then i want to chew?

The main thing i've noticed is like any other older trailer, water has gotten in and the previous owners didnt' seem to notice/care. Right now where the fridge vent is we can see alot of water got in and most of the wood between the fiberglass and interior seems rotten and ruined.

The fridge and inverter work, lights are good. overall shell is in good shape. Roof has a crack which they tried to seal but could probably use a re-sealing.

I've attached a bunch of pics.

Basically looking for guidance if this is worth getting into, I don't have much more $ to spend on this but between my dad and i we could take care of most things. I'm more on the lazy side so part of me is wondering if i should ditch this project and look for something else.

any guidance would be great! happy to be part of this community!

Jason

Here is a link to a picture gallery, not sure if i have to manually insert them here? let me know if i did it wrong.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11697...23708751555489
jgrilo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:33 PM   #2

Name: Juanita
Manitoba
Hello. I am just starting a rebuild of a 1978 beachcomber myself. I have almost completed the gutting stage and am starting to think about the rebuild and repair stage. If your beachcomber has as much water damage as mine did you will likely need to do a lot more work than you thought at first. It will be well worth it in the end but I'm thinking you may have paid a bit more than the camper is worth at the moment.
earthchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Name: Kyle
Alberta
If you don't want to do a bunch of work on it, I'd say ditch it ASAP! I have spent over a year rebuilding mine and although its really looking good, its been a pile of work. My trailer looked better than yours when I picked it up but has EXTENSIVE water damage everywhere. The whole floor was completely rotted out as well as a lot of the wood in the walls. I bet yours is the same. The belly bands on these things are very poorly designed. Check out my build thread, I fiberglassed the whole thing so it will never leak again!
ferniebiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beachcomber