1980 ventura makeover project - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #21

Name: carma
Trailer: ventura
Alberta
thanks again, mike. that was a dumb question, now that you gave me the answer lol.....yes i probably would have poisoned myself with regular auto anti-freeze, like duh or what

i was just reading that most of the older ventura water tanks are likely to be rotten. i took a quick peek but that's one thing i didn't look too closely at. i guess it would be nice to have running water, but i'm so used to hauling water while camping that if i still have to, no biggie for me.

off gridding? you're just full of cool and useful info and skills, aren't ya mister

that coffee's on me
cajabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #22

Alberta
not much of an update - i finally picked up my trailer and towed it home yesterday. 5 km down a gravel road full of ruts, washboard and a train track, 1.5 hours on a highway in construction season. i was really happy and relieved at how it handled over a pretty good variety of road conditions - seems solid and stable on all, no swaying or weird rocking or undue bounce of any kind. it's now safely parked at an rv lot about 20 minutes from home, and i'm feeling pretty confident (and relieved again) that i didn't buy a lemon or anything. the water tank is in great shape, i checked that thoroughly because i didn't think to look all that close 2 weeks ago. i'm pretty sure my biggest expenses will be a new fridge and new foam cushions. i'm glad i have the winter to research and plan and think about mods, find out how to do some basic wiring for solar (maybe) etc. a friend suggested that i put in 2 6v batteries instead of 1 12v. i'm not exactly sure why, but i'll look into it. i think i also want to install one of those fan-tastic roof vents - no doubt there's lots of info on all the above here.

ok that's all i have for now, this post is more for my own benefit in recording the date i brought it home, just for posterity's sake is all.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
makeover

I am glad to hear all went well .I can help you with the solar and find out what is up with the fridge. we still need to do coffee .Miky dees by Cabells at windemer is about half way .let me know what when .I just made a new battery rack for one like yours .i also have a battrey guy conection.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 08:51 PM   #24

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajabu View Post
not much of an update - i finally picked up my trailer and towed it home yesterday. 5 km down a gravel road full of ruts, washboard and a train track, 1.5 hours on a highway in construction season. i was really happy and relieved at how it handled over a pretty good variety of road conditions - seems solid and stable on all, no swaying or weird rocking or undue bounce of any kind. it's now safely parked at an rv lot about 20 minutes from home, and i'm feeling pretty confident (and relieved again) that i didn't buy a lemon or anything. the water tank is in great shape, i checked that thoroughly because i didn't think to look all that close 2 weeks ago. i'm pretty sure my biggest expenses will be a new fridge and new foam cushions. i'm glad i have the winter to research and plan and think about mods, find out how to do some basic wiring for solar (maybe) etc. a friend suggested that i put in 2 6v batteries instead of 1 12v. i'm not exactly sure why, but i'll look into it. i think i also want to install one of those fan-tastic roof vents - no doubt there's lots of info on all the above here.

ok that's all i have for now, this post is more for my own benefit in recording the date i brought it home, just for posterity's sake is all.
Congratulations on the new trailer!

Yes, good idea to have two 6Vs if using solar.

Look for pink RV antifreeze. No auto stuff, as said.

Sounds as if you are doing well so far.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #25

Alberta
hey mike, yes i'd still like to meet for coffee....i work in allard, so windemere is super convenient for me. i don't know your schedule, i could meet you on a weekday afternoon if that's best for you, or after work sometime, but give me a couple of weeks please - we are in the thick of new home possessions right now, so i'm crazy busy at the moment. the battery is currently installed inside, under the front bench seat, my friend was telling me it would be a good idea to move it outside on the tongue.

hi cathi, thanks for your well wishes/congrats, and kind advice. i'm really green about all this stuff, and i'm sure my newbie-nerdiness is obvious, and maybe a tad obnoxious . isnt that just how it goes when you begin a new adventure with a touch of blind enthusiasm, maybe it's just me, lol. i'm not even sure what benefit i'd get from solar, or rather - i'm not sure i'd take advantage of all solar has to offer? i tend to stay in provincial campgrounds with electricity and shower blocks.....but maybe i'd venture into places more......well, i dunno......off the beaten track more? maybe? i guess i don't know what i might be missing out on, or i don't even know why/how solar would liberate me from the campgrounds i go to now. i really need to learn more to find out what it means to solar-camp it. i betcha mike will tell me when we go for coffee

hey mike, you don't know a fridge guy, do you? holy kamoly i had not a blue damn clue an rv fridge would cost so much! just when i was feeling all pretty-princessy because i remembered that i have a portable ice maker that i can now use for camping since i bought a new fridge for home recently. i was looking at used ones on kijiji, but......that looks like a hit or miss way to go. i may just buy a used electric bar fridge for a temporary solution. it's still a bit too far away to think about, unless i find a great deal in the meantime.

so much to think about, so much to learn.....
Old 10-24-2017, 02:14 AM   #26

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Batteries are said to charge better when they are warm. So that is something to investigate when deciding if you want to relocate yours.

There are pluses and minuses to many decisions as well as modifications and adaptations to installations that can turn a plus into a minus or vise versa. Create a list and weigh these things against each other. Of course there are also absolute "must not do" regarding safety so that is where the knowledge of acceptable modifications and adaptations will come into play for battery location decisions.

You have more reading and research to do. Use reliable, professional, sources to verify what you read in forums on this subject. Sometimes people are spot on accurate in responses, other times not so much but of course not intentionally so
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #27

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
makeover

I know what that is like .Just send me a massage when it workes for you .and i am the fridge guy. i have 4 of these trailers in different stages of makeovers.when we meet i can show you some pics. all mine get solar led lights 12v water pumps ect .I like remote camping .i think they call it boondocking now.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:44 PM   #28

Alberta
good advice, kc....thanks. as anxious as i am to personalize it and make it beautiful, i'm in no hurry to make any major changes.....i could camp in it as it is, i'm sure it would keep me warm and dry. i'll be doing a fair bit of sewing over the winter, and painting the interior in the spring. by then i should have a better understanding about practical upgrades that will suit me, and how i plan to use it.

remote camping? hmm....i'm not really a princess, but i suppose only compared to some. i still like a hot shower at least every couple of days when i camp. i kinda think there's a solution for that too, and probably i just need to be introduced to some wilderness type places to get inspired/ambitious enough to try the boondocking boogie

looking forward to meeting you and seeing your pictures, mike.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:45 PM   #29

Alberta
hi all,
not sure how much interest there is since i've not commited to any major changes or renovations, but here's a few pics of what my ventura looks like now. i sewed curtains and new cushion covers over the winter (all new foam for the cushions) and painted the interior. yes, i did do the walls to look like birch bark, after enduring many an eye roll and questions about durability, how easy to clean, are you sure tissue paper and paint won't look......ugly, lol.

yes. i was and am sure of the birch bark paint finish. never wavered from it for a moment. it is a completely practical finish for the interior of a camper, it will be very durable, will wash well, and paint touch ups will be easier and quicker than a regular painted finish. it took me about 2 (6 hour) days to do on the upper walls only. the rest of the camper is just a good quality acrylic satin finish paint, pure white.

i still need/want to replace the countertop and tabletop, and i will be replacing the lino floor with wpc (wood plastic composite) planking. we had a good thundershower where i was camping last week, and i did find a leaky area i think coming from the newishly replaced tail light, and another near the corner of the door, looks like a tear in the fibreglass when someone ran over a rock or boulder or something. i don't think i'll tackle a fibreglass repair myself, so i'll be taking it in to a rv repair place to get that done before i replace the floor. no other indications of any leaking, but i think i'll have an expert go over the whole body and reseal anything and everything for good measure. that part is kinda out of my league, i think.

a few little details to work on, there is paint on the window frames from the po, not a whole lot, but enough that it is quite noticeable now that everything looks all shiny and new (ish) again. i want to do a backsplash in the kitchen too, i have an idea for wood subway tile that i'm playing with. the wire shelves i hung are quite secure as is, but if my idea works, the wall behind the counter will be doubly robust.

so on to the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1159.JPG   IMG_1164(1).JPG  

IMG_1160.JPG   IMG_1165.JPG  

IMG_1166.JPG   IMG_1180.JPG  

IMG_1182.JPG   IMG_1181.JPG  

IMG_1171.JPG  
Old 05-29-2018, 01:01 AM   #30

Name: Patricia
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Ontario
Wow, very fancy. Lots of lovely touches. I like the black and white upholstery in particular. You have obviously put a lot of thought and care into your trailer, starting form the inspection to the decorating. Good for you!
Patricia D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:30 AM   #31

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Agree. Looks amazing!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 10:31 PM   #32

Name: Michael
Trailer: Ventura
Washington
Great work!

I picked up two Venturas in horrible shape last summer. Spring is here and it's time to get working. Yours looks great and is giving me some much needed inspiration. Excellent work.
MiKris3113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:11 PM   #33

Alberta
i know there isn't much interest in this thread, so my apologies for bumping it...it's just that i have had trouble logging in to this site for ages...i knew i didn't forget my password, not sure what the trouble was, password resets were not getting to my email addy, but after several tries today suddenly it worked...must be clumsy fingers of mine, or something.

anyway.....just wanted to say thanks to those who left comments, i really found such incredible satisfaction in making this little camper my own, a reflection of my own taste and personality, and i've found inspiration from so many people here (even though it's sometimes quite intimidating to see the skills and capacities of complete rebuilds). i've been lurking on many an occasion, not being able to log in, but i don't feel i have much to contribute here, i'm quite out of my league. it is nice though, to know that my pictures may have given a couple of people some inspiration and i still had a lot of fun fixing my camper up, even if it's all pretty basic stuff, i can totally get why this hobby can become addictive. oh gosh in another life, how i'd love to buy, fix up and flip trailers!

i had a great time camping in it all though 2018, i think a total of about 40 days all added up. it kept me warm and dry and happy and smiling all summer and into fall.

i did have the windows resealed and the subfloor replaced and reinforced with fibreglass in the spring of 2018. also replaced all the exterior lights with led, a few fibreglass repairs done, and a drip cap installed above the door. i know most of you would probably do much more in terms of replacing/upgrading, but for me, this little camper is just fine the way it is. it would be so lovely to have the exterior repainted, or build all new cabinets and benches, but it's just not in my limited budget to do so.

other that a few more cosmetic mods that will also be more practical for the way i camp, i have no plans to do anything more extensive. it survived our very long, cold and snowy winter just fine, but i didn't do any camping this year because i've been a full-time caregiver to an aging parent with dementia.

after using it for a full season, i know i will never cook inside or use the sink. i do hope to be able to go camping again next year, so now i'm looking for ideas for a new countertop. i'm keeping the water tank and lines intact for eventual resale (i hate the sound of that), but will keep the stove.

i really like the idea of building a diy wood countertop....i'm sure you guys have seen all the 2x4 countertops so many people are building themselves. i have been looking for info on the longevity/durability here, but cant seem to find any threads anyone has started. if i go this route, i thought i'd use 5/4" deck boards instead, less weight. i can rip the rounded edges off easily enough.

i don't care all that much about dings, scratches etc, as i like a rustic look and will probably deliberately distress whatever lumber i use, just to mask future wear and tear. what i am concerned about, is how much movement there will be if i glue the boards together, or use pocket hole screws, especially given our huge temperature ranges throughout the year here in western canada. i'm sure there will be some splitting of the wood, but can anyone give me an idea of just how severe it could be? like i said, i like rustic, but maybe this idea is just not even reasonably doable here. i want to extend the counter over the bench area, but without and framing underneath, would the boards warp a lot with extreme temperature fluctuations? i thought i would buy the lumber now, and let it dry in my shed over the winter months, you can feel how wet that pressure treated stuff is when you touch it at the store.

just how difficult is it, to make a plywood counter with laminate and metal edging? i'm not too sure how to go about doing the corners, i thought i'd round them a bit, but it would be a small radius....is it easier than i think to bend that metal edging around corners? i haven't really found any tutorials online that detail this sort of application, lots of large round curves and how to cut mitres in the edging, which i want to try to avoid if possible. i think the wear and tear, dings and scratches on a sold wood countertop are far preferable to chipping laminate, which is why i want to avoid a laminate countertop if i can. i may decide to just use plywood with stain and poly, it wouldn't my first choice, but maybe it would it be a smarter choice?

i will make a new tabletop too, i think...just to keep the design aesthetics consistent. i thought i'd look for a used solid wood table on kijiji and cut the top to size, stain and/or paint it so it's also somewhat rustic/distressed.

i'd like to make a new door for it, since the door doesn't close quite flush. so far it's not been a problem and no moisture seems to be getting in, but no doubt it will continue to deteriorate. any direction towards info on building a camper door would be much appreciated, so far my search has turned up nothing. i feel confident i could frame a new door, but how to clad it, what/where to get the cladding material, and how to hang it so it fits properly, and how to install a new lock....these are the issues i am unsure of.

i've made a few little changes since i posted those pics. i've made a new, stove cover with a composite cutting board on it, which is also useful as a tray for carrying food/dishes etc in and out of the camper, and installed wpc flooring. othere little things that aren't really worth mentioning, just small adjustments to suit my way of camping and storing things in it.

gosh i hope this hasn't gotten too long, probably it has but probably people stopped reading paragraphs ago if it did. i've become a bit socially inept/isolated over the past year, i fear i'm now a total weirdo. caring for an aging parent is.....life/character/personality changing in ways i did not anticipate. camping was a kind of mental health therapy for me, and sorely missed this last summer.
Old 09-30-2019, 06:05 PM   #34

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Hi Carma---I have enjoyed reading your posts...every word of them! If it makes you feel better, more connected and/or healthier to write long posts, then write 'em!

Caring for your aging parent is hard. Dementia compounds that, exponentially.
Having missed this past summer's camping season will make you appreciate next summer all the more.

As to your renovation, I really love your style! Always partial to black and white myself, I gave my husband a break when we chose the colours for our redo and let him choose....and he chose a yellow/blues fabric combo that is quite nice...but wouldn't have been my choice. But that's okay.

Did you make a decision regarding your wood countertop? Whatever you do, it'll be beautiful, like the rest of your trailer.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #35

Alberta
Thanks theresa, I should not speak of my personal situation, really I'm a stranger here....getting an erg of support from you is unexpectedly validationg...you're very kind.

I love all the farmhouse inspired RV renovations I've seen on Pinterest, black, white and wood has been my style since my first apartment 25 years ago....mostly cos it's relatively inexpensive to do that kind of vintage look. The black and white fabric on the bench was a happy accident....I was originally going to do everything in the black and white Tweed, but was literally 20" short of material due to a flaw in the middle of the fabric I had to cut out. So I went back to fabricland, hoping to find more on the bolt, but it was all gone. I almost decided to just piece together what I had and make do, but then I spotted the black and white stuff and loved it. It was fortuitous in more ways than one, I had also originally planned to paint and stencil the existing vinyl floor black and white, but later discovered the subfloor needed replacing anyway. I wanted to do that farmhouse shiplap inside, but decided against it due to the added weight. The birch finish is such a winner imho, paint and tissue paper, clear coated with matte wax, easily washable, super easy to touch up if it ever gets damaged....which it did during removal and reinstall of the windows. I remember the RV tech was so worried I'd be upset when I saw the damage around the windows, lol. I fixed it all seamlessly in about 30 mins.

I've not decided on the countertop, I was kinda hoping someone would offer a bit of advice on whether securing boards together with pocket hole screws and glue would work in temperatures that can fluctuate from -35c to +35c. I'm thinking probably not, but I may still do an experiment anyway, just to see how badly the lumber may crack over winter. have you heard of the Japanese art of kintsugi? I have an acacia wood bowl that cracked, and I filled the crack with epoxy resin, then applied gold leaf. It's quite beautiful, and I think would be awesome in a countertop....if it's not too seriously cracked. I also have a faux zinc technique I'm toying with, using acrylic plaster (like a venetian plaster product) and metallic paint. It's super durable, but more work. Plus then I'd probably want to paint the lower cabinets to look like black iron using the same product, again way more work. If only I had a garage to work in at home....but everything I do happens at the campground, so I'd like to keep labor to a minimum.

Tho I don't spend much time on message boards, I'll update this thread with my little camper projects, particularly the countertop whether successful or not, might help someone else out in the future. I still have my wood tile backsplash to do too, I made an experimental board last year and left it in my shed over winter, held up fine over the winter.

Oh yeah...I also had new carriage bolts put in to attach the shell to the frame when I had the subfloor redone. Just adding that in for posterity's sake so I don't forget. All my pics of the work I had an RV tech do for me are lost, I no longer have access to the iCloud account because of changing phones.

I finally found some info and pics here for a Ventura door rebuild, (Darrell, I think?) So I think I can handle that next year too. No idea where to get powder coated sheet metal, or how to cut it, but maybe I can salvage what I have.

Old 10-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #36

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
Good looking Ventura! Making up a plywood/formica countertop is pretty easy if you have access to a router. Just cut the plywood to the size and shape you want and then get some contact cement and glue both the fomica and the wood and let dry. Then place the fomica in place and use a roller or rubber mallet to make sure you have a good bond. Then use the router to trim the formica.

As for the fridge, if you still need one, look for someone shaping a tent trailer as they use the same size as the Ventura. I got one for the Ventura for $40.

The door is a real problem as the darn windows leak, rotting them from the inside. I cut down a household interior door that was plywood not partical board but it was not for the faint of heart. I found a round portal window like the old 70's boggie van. I formicaed both sides of the door and reused the aluminium door edging. I am in Edmonton if you need some ideas on how to tackle things. Its been a few years since ours was sold.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #37

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
One other option for countertop is brown paper bags torn up and put down with glue, then polyurathane over it. Paper bag Floor
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 AM   #38

Alberta
Hi Dudley, thanks for chiming in!

I used to be a professional painter, and I did a lot of specialized custom finished aka faux finishes. The brown paper bag suggestion is excellent, I used to do floors in that finish, often painting the paper with metallic paints first before tearing them up.....had totally forgotten actually, but it remains one of my favorites. just like my birch bark finish, usually gets a lot of eye rolls and lip curls from people when you speak of it, but totally practical, durable and gorgeous when done well. Has anyone done it in their camper here, do you know? Plain brown paper looks like leather, you can also stain the paper first, I did a floor in a mahogany colour once, and did a stenciled plaster border that looked just like tooled leather. a countertop done in this with large studs on the edge would be stunning!

Acrylic plaster is so versatile, I'm currently making a range hood cover that looks like blackened iron. Fraction of the cost of real, easy peasy for my limited carpentry skills....but I digress, sorry but that's what happens when someone sparks my creative brain lobe

I might still do a laminate countertop....I have a router that was my dad's, I've never used it, but I've been thinking about making sliding barn door for a huge bookshelf in my livingroom, so I've been checking out router vids so I can frame 1/4 " plywood to keep the weight down. Did not know you could trim Formica after gluing it to the plywood with a router, that's a huge tip for me, thanks.

Sometimes I think my biggest problem is I have too many options, lol. I'm still leaning towards a simple wood countertop using deckboards I think....fastest and cheapest and the look I want...I think. Very popular with the Pinterest crowd, but i know just enough to know that wood expands and shrinks, and nobody ever posts what their counters look like after a year or two of temperature and humidity changes.

Oh my fridge! Yes I discovered it works just fine on shore power, I don't think it works on propane, but it's possible I just didn't leave it running long enough to know. Maybe there's a sound you can hear when it's running, but I happen to be partly (mostly) deaf, so I can't tell if it's working until it gets cold.

Gee I found a link I put on the first page of this thread about how to build a door....the pictures were the tutorial, and they are gone now, but the fellow mentioned using frp panels for the skin, so I googled that and yep, that product is readily available in Edmonton. Supposed to be easy to cut, which sounds good to me, I will probably go that route. I bought a bunch of liquid wood hardener last year when I saw it on clearance, so I thought to build a frame for the door out of 1x4s, coat it with the hardener and then glue the panels on. The door I have doesn't have a window, I *love* the idea of a bug eye window, I'm going to keep that in mind.

I think I remember seeing pics of your Ventura here...red one, right? With a black stripe I think? Yeah, beautiful job you did on that, I may have to pick your brain on.....

Ah, say! That reminds me, any idea where I can get a new exterior hinged metal vent for the fridge? I can't seem to source one online, or any other newer plastic ones, they are not the right cut-out size. last year I was pulling my trailer out of the salvage yard I was storing it at, and their big metal gate swung back just as I was pulling thru, tore the vent all up. Scraped the side of my trailer too, but luckily no other damage to the fibreglass besides scratches. Guy yelled out to warn me, but...like I said...me deaf, lol.

Tags
ventura