19 vs. 21 Escape...? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyag View Post
I have only used the 19 once and the only compliant I have is one person has to climb over the other to get out of bed.
Our bedtime routine with the 19 was the first one to bed went to the back side, then when one got up for the middle of the night bathroom trip we both went at the same time. I would get in the front side when we got back in bed, as I was always the first up.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:09 AM   #22

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyag View Post
I like both of them, I decided to buy a used one whatever came up first and was a reasonable distant from me and priced fairly.

I have only used the 19 once and the only compliant I have is one person has to climb over the other to get out of bed.

Good Luck
that was the main reason we upgraded from the casita, we're both kinda broad at the beam, plus I'm 6' tall. the casita bed was intolerable so I ended up sleeping in the dinette-converted-to-a-bed, which is also suboptimal.

with the 21, even if I'm on the street side of the queen, I can scootch off the bed easily enough. and the bed is plenty big enough for both of us to get a good nights sleep.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:11 AM   #23

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
A little bird told me that every flavor/type of Escape trailer is currently at Green Eggs & Ham (17, 19s, 21s, 5.0 TAs). ☺

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 06:33 AM   #24

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
A little bird told me that every flavor/type of Escape trailer is currently at Green Eggs & Ham (17, 19s, 21s, 5.0 TAs). ☺

Ray
That is a very good point. In fact, that is where we saw the 5.0TA, during a pre-rally get together with some friends.
GregandTeresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:23 AM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
If you are looking for big and roomy, the 21 is superior to the 19, as it is both wider and longer than the 19. The 21 was not yet available when I bought our 19, so I didn't have a choice. I really like the layout of the 19 as compared to the 21, and I am very comfortable with a cozier setting. If I was to buy over again and the choice was between a 19 and 21, I would make the same decision to go with the 19'. (Of course, if I was choosing again, I think the 5.0TA would probably win out for me.)

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 07:36 AM   #26

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Both the Escape 19 and 21 are nice trailers .That being said one thing I don't like is the fact that few things seem to be standard equipment and everything seems to be a rather expensive option
The base price may be moderate but the final cost is not
Just my observation !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:35 AM   #27

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Options

We’ve had two Escapes which were and are very nicely appointed with options. However, we had a desire to add solar to both units after the purchase as well as a number of other options. We journeyed about 1800 miles to Escape to have this done. All work was done to our complete satisfaction and in the time frame they had predicted and we were comfortable with. Custom work does come with a cost and it’s true there’s some mark up in the equipment cost but we did not find it limiting, unreasonable or exorbitant. Escape Trailer Industries and their employees have been very good to us.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
As I write this, the exchange rate for CDN is 76 cents to $1 USD. That's like buying a $30,000 trailer for $22,800 for US buyers!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #29

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
As I write this, the exchange rate for CDN is 76 cents to $1 USD. That's like buying a $30,000 trailer for $22,800 for US buyers!
For US buyers who've always thought an Escape 19 or 21 was slightly out of reach, that rate puts it in the same price range as the US made 17 footers. Well worth a look. Using that rate on our loaded and customized 2015 19 for example, the USD price would have been 27K.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:26 AM   #30

Registry
Escape has chosen to list a lot of items as options instead of just including everything, both to give the purchaser the option of whether or not to incorporate them, and to give them an idea of where the costs are coming from. If many of these items were included, they would likely lose a few customers that just look at the sticker price without really comparing to other brands what is included.

Remember, the base model is still VERY capable of taking camping and making memories with. I also believe that pricing of the options is very reasonable.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-17-2018, 08:00 AM   #31
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I've always wanted heated mirrors on my car but refuse to pay for a sunroof, a bigger engine, and leather seats to get them. We are all better off to choose the options we want and pass on the options we don't. Escape and Scamp have the right idea.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:07 AM   #32

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
Escape is a fine trailer and I can understand why they are popular but in my book , just like Oliver and Bigfoot they are expensive.
A 21 ft Escape costs twice as much as I paid for my first home.
Escape owner appear to be in that 1% they always talk about on the news , I am in the other 99%
Maybe I am a victim of class envy but that doesn't make FG trailers cheap or affordable.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 08:32 AM   #33

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
If one took the base price of an Escape and added 30 to 40% for options one would be close to the actual price. ( Reading build / option sheets on Escape website)
15.26% above list for me. To get to 30% you would need to choose almost every last option, and very few do that.

But, everything in life is a choice, and deciding whether something is of value to them or not, is for an individual to decide. For us, we feel the value of our Escape is well worth it, and we did not get the currency exchange savings either.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:08 AM   #34

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Many items that are optional on an Escape are standard on the Casita so for an outsider it may be confusing when trying to compare pricing ( IE Air Conditioner, Bath Window ,Dual fuel water heater Etc )
Escape doesn't have a 'deluxe'. a base model Casita is *really* stripped, no bath, no hot water, no a/c, small water tank.

the water heater in my '08 SD16 is gas only.

we've not used the A/C in our SD16 even once. We don't have a/c at home, and hardly ever use it in our cars.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:16 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
15.26% above list for me. To get to 30% you would need to choose almost every last option, and very few do that.

But, everything in life is a choice, and deciding whether something is of value to them or not, is for an individual to decide. For us, we feel the value of our Escape is well worth it, and we did not get the currency exchange savings either.
Well, I managed to option my $31,800.00 base priced 21 to the tune of $43,574.89, so yes, you can spend a pile (although there are options on all brands of trailers, fiberglass or not). Still, that included a number of unlisted options such as dual solar panels, additional cabinetry, and almost every listed option.

The US $ was $33,890.64. Yes, more than my first house ($22,000 US in 1970, and I still live there - current value according to Zillow $101K), and more than my last 3 vehicles, but well worth it to me. Still tens of thousands less than an Oliver or Bigfoot, and pretty much a trailer custom built for my way of traveling. As I type, I'm baking a blueberry pie for the Green Eggs & Ham rally in the (optional) oven!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 AM   #36

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Quote:
Yep, but of course it would be interesting to know what you paid, and what such a home is worth today on the open market. Our house has appreciated over 50% in the (almost) 21 years we've owned it.

But you have a point anyway since molded FG trailer prices have risen faster than typical housing (hot markets not included), due in part to the raw material costs (petroleum products included) and due in part to supply & demand.

I find it interesting that I could buy a 25' true 4-season stick trailer with R-29 ceiling insulation, 65 gallon fresh water tank, shock absorbers, and both a dinette and a sofa... for less than the cost of a similarly optioned 17' Escape. If anything, conventional travel trailer prices have risen more slowly than housing.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 09:52 AM   #37

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Yep, but then you have a big sticky Mike. And it's value will plunge faster than a rock off the south rim. Everything has it's tradeoffs.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #38

Name: Richard
Trailer: Escape 21
Texas
Quote:
Escape is a fine trailer and I can understand why they are popular but in my book , just like Oliver and Bigfoot they are expensive.
Escape owner appear to be in that 1% they always talk about on the news , I am in the other 99%
Maybe I am a victim of class envy but that doesn't make FG trailers cheap or affordable.
We owned a Casita and now an Escape. Both have standard equipment and options that are different. The Escape awning and furnace are standard equipment. On the Casita the options are almost $2000.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:51 PM   #39

Name: Ramona
Trailer: Looking!
Florida
Interesting...

I do like the fact I can pick and choose, and almost everything is an “option” on the escape. When I see the breakdown, I get a little nauseous. But, it’s a very good way of winnowing “wants” from “needs.” I don’t think it’s fair to compare casitas, escapes, and bigfoot trailers. The only thing they have in common is a fiberglass shell. When I looked at my option list while building my (thus far) imaginary escape and saw the bottom line, I decided licketysplit I didn’t “need” the LED light option for the awning. I really feel the “need” for those aluminum wheels, though...
Deva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:55 PM   #40
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
We owned a Casita and now an Escape. Both have standard equipment and options that are different. The Escape awning and furnace are standard equipment. On the Casita the options are almost $2000.
And if they were an option on the Escape then one could choose not to buy them. The more choice the better as far as I'm concerned. Of course my new pick up has crank up windows and manual locks.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape