Going to live in 17 Escape / Tow Vehicle advise - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #41

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
Yes....all VW diesels were purchased back At full original price as part of a settlement as ordered by US government.....my brother got a full refund and then bought a BMW.!!
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #42

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uplander View Post
I’d avoid the transit van. Most of the new series of big, boxy vans are made in Turkey. Turkey is famous for producing that rolling disaster the “Hugo”.
Turkey has NOTHING to do with the Ford Transit production for North America.

Ford will upgrade the Transit van built exclusively at Claycomo | The Kansas City Star

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:35 AM   #43

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Originally the smaller Ford Transit Connect vans - a more miniature van, came out of Turkey. I am not claiming that even those still come from there.

A search suggested they either are or will be making those in Kansas City as well. I couldn't confirm.

Ford has thrived by building global platforms. If I were in the market, I'd look into Transits further.

Note, the small Transit Connect used to share the Focus platform. That too may have changed.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:39 AM   #44

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 Ford Transit for the NA market is made in Kansas City.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 09:48 AM   #45

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
I did say “most” of these vans were being produced in Turkey. It is evident that Ford changed their production (originally from a Turkish producer toa U.S.based facility).
Thanks for the update.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:36 PM   #46

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Lil Bigfoot and Escape 15a
California
Actually, the value was set at Bluebook at time of the discovery of the scandal. We owned two VW Jetta Tdi sportwagens. For the 09', we got about 2/3 of what we paid for it. We are still driving the 13' and will until the deadline for pulling the trigger to sell back. There's basically no depreciation for us in continuing to drive it. The value is already fixed. Because the 13' was newer at the time of the scandal breaking, we will be getting almost what we paid for it. It's too bad about the cheating. The 13' is a great driving car and gets really great economy. We had a few problems with the 09' but that was the first year of production for the 2.0tdi. The 13' has been problem free. Reviews of Tdi that have undergone the approved repairs, show drivability didn't really suffer from the changes. VW and the other cheaters (like Bosch) didn't need to cheat. I'm looking into a full on EV to replace the 13'. Let say again, I've really enjoyed the 2013 VW Tdi Sportwagen. It's been a great car.
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:58 PM   #47

Denver, CO
It sounds like the diesel Touareg SUV would be a great tow vehicle. It also sounds like if I snag one I'd have to surrender it. I guess the Touareg reference was a page back. Same goes for the TDI (Turbo Diesel Injection?) wagons. It is a shame they are off the market.
Old 06-15-2018, 06:47 AM   #48

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Going to live in 17 Escape / Tow Vehicle advise

Late thought re Highlander vs. 4Runner... You may not be gaining much in terms of ratings. Same tow rating, 5000#, and check payload on the driver's door jamb as you shop.

Two advantages of the 4Runner are off-highway capability for boondocking and RWD chassis (better if towing close to the limit). Disadvantages are highway driving dynamics, poor fuel mileage (when not towing), less interior space, and price.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 05:46 PM   #49

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Had a conversation w my mechanic about highlander vs 4Runner. He stated over the long pull as a tow (years & miles) the 4Runner is built for towing while the highlander may not last as long as it is car based vs truck based. I guess I will continue on w my 2012 4Runner w 97,000 miles. He said it should go for another 100000. Just my 2 pennies.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 08:53 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Some advice sounds like "land lines are superior to cell phones". There is reluctance to accept new technology. Or, one could frame it that way.
Old 06-15-2018, 09:11 PM   #51

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Some advice sounds like "land lines are superior to cell phones". There is reluctance to accept new technology. Or, one could frame it that way.
are you denying that a full frame vehicle more durable for towing than a unibody vehicle, or that RWD has more traction for towing than FWD ?

just curious what you're saying, otherwise. just because something is 'new technology' doesn't automatically make it superior.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 09:52 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
are you denying that a full frame vehicle more durable for towing than a unibody vehicle, or that RWD has more traction for towing than FWD ?

Yup. That's what I'm saying. Sorta. I'm saying that an AWD vehicle has traction where you need it, towing or not. And, I'm saying that a unibody vehicle can be designed to be stronger than a full frame vehicle.
Is that your phone?
Old 06-15-2018, 10:48 PM   #53

Denver, CO
I respect you Glenn [If you guessed "but" will come next, you win], but I gotta side with Julmar. I favor a truck platform for towing (Fourrunner), versus a car platform Highlander aka Kluger, /Camry, / K platform.

I plead guilty to being an old dog. What new tricks?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Highlander:
Announced in April 2000 at the New York Auto Show and arriving in late 2000 in Japan and January 2001 in North America, the Highlander became one of the first car-based mid-size SUV or mid-size crossovers.[2] The Highlander is the crossover counterpart to the more rugged, truck-based midsize 4Runner and became Toyota's best-selling SUV before being surpassed by the smaller RAV4 in 2006. In Japan, the Kluger is exclusive to dealership network called Toyota NETZ as a larger alternative to the RAV4.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:51 PM   #54

I have a few issues.
First is I don't give a hoot. A full frame vehicle isn't an advantage to me as far as I can tell. Gives me bragging rights, but that's about all. My unibody vehicle will likely last as long. At least the frame won't rust out.

I don't want to park a truck and I don't want to spend $10,000 more for a 4Runner over a Highlander. Don't want a Highlander either, really.
I don't even want to buy a new vehicle. My RAV4 just turned 100,000 kilometers ( 62.000 miles ). It's ten years old and I'm 69 years old. I need to calculate the odds which of us will survive the other.

It's kinda like is a gold Rolex better than a silver-look Timex? Apparently, but my Timex does the job and batteries are readily available.

I really wish I cared about cars, like when I was a teen in the 1960s and subscribed to Sports Car Illustrated and Car and Driver.
Another driver hit my RAV in a parking lot recently. I was sitting in the car and felt the impact. After I wiped off the dirt, I discovered that the plastic fender had a couple scuff marks that couldn't be polished out. They were about 1/2 inch by 2". She had admitted that she'd just come from the dentist and had vertigo. I called her and told her to forget about it.

It's just a car.
Old 06-16-2018, 01:52 AM   #55

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't even want to buy a new vehicle. My RAV4 just turned 100,000 kilometers ( 62.000 miles ). It's ten years old and I'm 69 years old. I need to calculate the odds which of us will survive the other. I really wish I cared about cars, like when I was a teen in the 1960s and subscribed to Sports Car Illustrated and Car and Driver.
Another driver hit my RAV in a parking lot recently. I was sitting in the car and felt the impact. After I wiped off the dirt, I discovered that the plastic fender had a couple scuff marks that couldn't be polished out. They were about 1/2 inch by 2". She had admitted that she'd just come from the dentist and had vertigo. I called her and told her to forget about it.
It's just a car.
Glenn, think you nailed it on all points, I was like that too in the 60s.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:08 AM   #56

Denver, CO
I am not trying to prevail here. I doubt I could anyway.
Like the rest of you, I am a product of life experiences. One such experience was the legendary VW Rabbit Pickup, a unibody product made here in the early 1980s.
It lacked a gap between the cab & bed. Reportedly more than a few cracked when front end loaders dropped a load of gravel into the bed.
Sounds believable, but it may be urban legend. The disappearance of Rabbit pickups may have had more to do with the closure of VW's Westmoreland, PA factory. They actually went on to be produced in Yugoslavia, then South Africa until a few years ago.
They may also have disappeared because in those pre-turbo days, diesels took weeks to reach highway speeds. Compared to today, they were noisy, sooty, and didn't start in cold weather. So what's not to like?
The Rabbit Pickup clouded my thinking about unibody trucks. Whether that was valid, I'm not sure. Scared me away. I did own a Rabbit convertible of that vintage. It never cracked.
VW is back, showing new pickup protoypes. This rendering is the old one.
Attached Thumbnails
phantom1.gif  
Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #57

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
"I don't want to park a truck and I don't want to spend $10,000 more for a 4Runner over a Highlander. Don't want a Highlander either, really.
I don't even want to buy a new vehicle. My RAV4 just turned 100,000 kilometers ( 62.000 miles ). It's ten years old and I'm 69 years old. I need to calculate the odds which of us will survive the other."

Lets see, you will be 79 . Your Rav will have 124000 mi. on it, assuming you will put the same miles as the past 10 years. Its a crap shoot at best. Keep it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:36 PM   #58

Name: julie
Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by julmar View Post
Had a conversation w my mechanic about highlander vs 4Runner. He stated over the long pull as a tow (years & miles) the 4Runner is built for towing while the highlander may not last as long as it is car based vs truck based. I guess I will continue on w my 2012 4Runner w 97,000 miles. He said it should go for another 100000. Just my 2 pennies.

I really looked hard at the highlander because of the smoother ride as well as the newer safety add ons & rear camera. Plus the many folks who tow w one were persuasive. Liked the ride a lot! but didn’t like 3rd row seating (not an option). When rear seats folded flat, there were gaps & a tilt to the area. Plus $700 additional to add tow package.
4Runner rear seats fold flat. Will consider after market rear camera for making hitching easier.
julmar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape