Scamp Entry Door Problem - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2018, 09:37 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
Kentucky
Scamp Entry Door Problem

The entry door on my scamp is sprung out at the bottom. How can I get the door to go in at the bottom and stay there for a better seal.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp door 2.jpg   Scamp door 3.jpg  

Scamp door.jpg  
Greg L. Cummins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:49 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Here is a link to an original concept approach that one owner used. It worked for him.
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/front-door-problem
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 06:35 AM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
That's an interesting approach, KC. Haven't heard that one before.

Know that the cause may be a rotten core inside the door due to water infiltration at the window. Some have drilled holes in the bottom of the core (the thick part) and liquid water runs out. That one way to see if that's your problem.

If that's the case, I doubt the hot water, "steam bending" will do much that lasts. Rotten wood cannot be steam bent and hold a new shape. You have to cut out and replace the door core. Or buy a new door from Scamp ($$). I believe they will still make the old, pre-fire doors on order, although KC's linked thread suggests otherwise.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:04 PM   #4

Name: sharon
Virginia
Would it be worth it to put a latch underneath at the corners? For the 99% of the time the egg is sitting in the driveway or going down the road it would help remind the FG where it should be.
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:54 PM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The door is drooping at the top too. Time to rebuild the hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 AM   #6

Name: Bobby
Trailer: U HAUL and Scamp
Florida
What is this and is it factory or add on?

I am restoring a 2004 Scamp 5th wheel and there is a strip of metal 1/2"x1/8"x5" on the bottom hinge side of the door. My question is why is it there and is it a factory item? On the bottom of the door there is a piece of black plastic that it rubs on when closing the door that makes me think that it is factory. I have attached a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0660.jpg  
Bigbadbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:30 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Yup. It's OEM. It helps guide the corner of the door, which requires a fairly tight fit to seal due to the curved shape.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:09 PM   #8

Name: Bobby
Trailer: U HAUL and Scamp
Florida
It appears that some have it and some don't. I guess it is beacause all door are not the same. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Bigbadbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 01:59 PM   #9

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
I was wondering the same thing about this strip on my 2013 scamp 13. Thanks for the info!
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:34 PM   #10

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
it's called the bottom door slide.

Scamp sells that for $4.00, it's called the bottom door slide.
Attached Thumbnails
slide.jpg  
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:20 PM   #11

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg L. Cummins View Post
The entry door on my scamp is sprung out at the bottom. How can I get the door to go in at the bottom and stay there for a better seal.
I have the same exact problem, and plan on trying hot water system. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work. I have new hinges which I will install (they came with the trailer) but the old ones look fine and show no signs of wear. I do not expect replacing the hinges to solve the problem.

FYI: Scamp sells hinge rebuild kits which are much cheaper than the complete hinges. Scamp's site is running extremely slow, or I'd post a link. (Have to go, have an appointment.)

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:37 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
I have the same exact problem, and plan on trying hot water system. Nothing to lose if it doesn't work. I have new hinges which I will install (they came with the trailer) but the old ones look fine and show no signs of wear. I do not expect replacing the hinges to solve the problem.

FYI: Scamp sells hinge rebuild kits which are much cheaper than the complete hinges. Scamp's site is running extremely slow, or I'd post a link. (Have to go, have an appointment.)

Harold
Ian Giles, sells an upgraded kit that is stainless, i just received mine and it is high quality. I too am starting to get a gap at the bottom of the door and I'm hoping this will fix it.

Boler/Scamp - Stainless Steel Door Hinge Repair Kit - Camping Treasures
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:21 PM   #13

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: 13' Casita
Wisconsin
I had the exact same problem with my 1981 Casita. Took it to the Scamp dealer (Minnesota is much closer to me than Casita in Texas.) They found that the support inside the hinge side of the door was inadequate. My camper had been refurbished before I got it, so I don't know what it was like before. BUT basically, the service guy opened the door, and kind of pulled it in and out and you could SEE the fiberglass flex in that area. So it was less of a straight up & down (side) opening; but had gradually taken on more of an additional slight curve as it had settled over time. (Greater than the intended curve.) Simple fix was to add a beefier reinforcement inside the door frame on the hinge side, forcing it to be more 'upright' again. Think of it this way: added weight of awning, roof AC, etc seems to compress old fiberglass shell slightly so the door curve was no longer the same as the body curve.
I had originally left it alone since no rain came in, but one time a bird found a way in (& back out!), if not for bird poo all over I'd have never known it was there. It's definitely an easy access for mosquitoes! (Chipmunks, snakes, squirrels?)
I was surprised & relieved by the fix because I thought my whole door would have to be removed & reshaped, not so I'm my case! Hope your fix is so simple! I had newer hinges already, something else to consider while you're at it. Happy camping!
Ktdid_kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #14

Name: Gary
Mass
How to rebuild a sagging scamp door

My door was waterlogged and rotten to the core. I did a complete rebuild from the window down. Look here...My Scamp Fiberglass Egg Camper: Repairing a Scamp camper door.
Garyscamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp