$7500 off new Parkliner - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #61

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
From the few photos posted on this thread, it looks like they really opened up the wheel wells on the new model where a tire-rubbing problem (after changing axle manufacturers) nearly doomed their initial efforts. I assume they also either vented the battery or placed it outside the cabin on this new model - another problem some owners of the first model encountered. As for competing with the Oliver, there better be some serious interior quality upgrades, as well. Interiors of the Oliver's I've seen were super classy - lots of nice detail.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #62

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
They hashed the wheel well and battery issues a long time ago. I've never had an issue with my 2014 model. Thinking seriously of upgrading to the new model!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 07:53 AM   #63

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Okay, read through the whole thread. Yes, tall people fit fine in my Parkliner. My tallest son is maybe 6'3", no problem.

I will not tow the Parkliner with Gail's 2 liter ecoboost Escape anymore, even with the 3500# tow limit. It is my belief the frontal area of the trailer exceeds what Ford figured the Escape would be towing. Even still, we have a 6 X 12 utility trailer and when it's loaded (3000# capacity) we still can feel the Escape working hard to tow it.

I can't afford a new truck on the terms I want for probably another year. So no RV'ing for us this year. We have two vacations planned in 2017, one flying out west in July to spend a couple weeks in WY to see old friends, and a Labor Day weekend family wedding at a resort up in Maine. Funny thing is I get 4 weeks of vacation a year now, and don't have a tug for my egg...

We do expect to tow it to the rally we're holding at my brother and sister-in-laws place in August.

I need to fix my signature, the F150 died a while ago, and is gone.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:26 AM   #64

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Sorry to hear of your tug problems Frank. That must be frustrating, but I look forward to seeing you at the rally.

Walt
Old 01-23-2017, 08:37 AM   #65

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
$7500 off new Parkliner

Frank,

Just curious .....

Do you use the "Sport" mode transmission setting (to keep the engine in 5th gear and RPMs up in the 2250 range) for towing with your 2.0L Ecoboost?

Max torque on that engine happens at 3000 rpm but, we've found that 2250 rpm is usually good enough for towing in less than perfectly flat, low-wind conditions.

On our new (2016) Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L Ecoboost, I have sometimes used the PRS feature ("Drive" and the "-" minus button on the shifter) to lock out the 6th gear and automatically tow in only gears 1 to 5.

You may be doing that already but, just in case ..... sharing my own experience.

Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #66

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdickens View Post
Frank,

Just curious .....

Do you use the "Sport" mode transmission setting (to keep the engine in 5th gear and RPMs up in the 2250 range) for towing with your 2.0L Ecoboost?

Max torque on that engine happens at 3000 rpm but, we've found that 2250 rpm is usually good enough for towing in less than perfectly flat, low-wind conditions.

On our new (2016) Ford F-150 XLT 2.7L Ecoboost, I have sometimes used the PRS feature ("Drive" and the "-" minus button on the shifter) to lock out the 6th gear and automatically tow in only gears 1 to 5.

You may be doing that already but, just in case ..... sharing my own experience.

Ray
Hmmm, good question Ray, I will have to look into that. I think we still have an exceedingly large frontal area though. My old F150 had a tow rating of 5400#s, but was tall. You couldn't tell you were even towing anything when pulling the Parkliner. I sure wish that truck hadn't eaten a plug.

One other thing - we have lost AC twice towing the egg in hot weather. It doesn't turn off, it just quits working. I really think this Escape just can't handle frontal area, and is challenged by 3500#s!

We'll have a "new-to-us" truck probably in a year. I'm looking for a 3/4 ton 4 door truck of about any make that's a few years old. Planets have to align...

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
Old 01-23-2017, 09:19 AM   #67

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Frank -

OK. Good luck on your future purchase!

As you probably know, "frontal area" is a speed sensitive rating.

In calm winds, the torque/hp to overcome wind resistance goes up in proportion to the square of your speed. At 30 mph, frontal area is hardly any factor at all; at 65-70 mph, frontal area becomes a serious concern.

Similarly, if you are driving into a 15-20 mph headwind, that headwind mph gets added to your ground speed mph and frontal area quickly becomes a real issue.

IIRC, when Norm was pulling a 16ft trailer with his older Honda CRV, he often drove at only 55mph and reportedly did just fine.

Of course, trailer weight and aerodynamic shape(s) are also factors in towing.

On a recent round trip out to South Carolina (towing our Scamp13), our new (not yet broken in) 2016 Ford F-150 2.7L Ecoboost 4x2 averaged about 22.5 mpg at ~60 mph. In the heart of the Smoky Mountains, the worst mpg we got was 20.5.

Without the trailer, pure highway mileage has been around 28.0 at 60 mph
and drops to about 26 mpg at 65-70 mph. (We do have the 4x2 with a 3.31 E-locking axle, 20" wheels, and a Bakflip tonneau cover.)

We still have less than 4,000 miles on the new F-150, but those have been our results so far. I suppose that those results may change and, of course, YMMV!

Best of luck to you!

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:17 PM   #68

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
We also saw the new parkliner at the Tampa show yesterday. The interior is indeed all fiberglass, shiny and white. mirrored door on the bath and closet. Roofmounted ac. A nice storage compartment in the bath, all fg. Maple cabinet doors with exposed hinges.

The salesman we spoke with said the demo was a prototype, and he wasn't very familiar with it. (He was from the t@b section of the little guy displays).
Insulation is two layers of reflection. Said it weighed 2200 pounds, but no sticker to show that.
One 20 lb tank and battery on the tongue. Max air fan. Couldn't see much else as 3 guys inside occupied the back discussing the beautiful eriba puck lookalikes on the other side of the fairgrounds...
Ushaped back dinette, curbside kitchen, small side dinette.
I snapped a few photos of the interior, which I'll post if I can.
Seemed bigger than 15 ft, but definitely not 20. Queen size dinette conversion bed, according to the rep...
Sherry
SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 01:21 PM   #69

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Registry
As I didn't ask the guys for permission, I covered their faces in the photo. Hope it's not too distracting.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170123_135806.jpg   IMG_20170123_135656.jpg  

SherryNPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #70

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Hi Frank, I was telling John that I don't feel that my Town and Country is quite enough vehicle to tow the trailer when I have it full of my stuff. I don't ever travel with water because the only time I did I felt that there was some shifting from side to side. I am trying to figure out a tow vehicle that I can have all my dogs in plus pull the trailer that I can afford. Not an easy thing.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #71

Name: John
Trailer: '71 Boler, '87 Play-Mor II
Deep South
This thread is getting as good as the "Okra" thread...lol
Johnny M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #72

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Thanks for the photos sherrynpaul. i think the interior looks great. We have a burro with the double hull ...but no insulation. i love how clean it always feels.
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:28 PM   #73

Name: Andrew
Trailer: On the market
Florida
No, It wasn't the byrds- it was Ecclesiastes!
saltydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 06:50 PM   #74

New York
In my email sometime in the last couple of days...

Dear Friends,

As you all know, 2017 has been a big year for Parkliner and Liberty Outdoors. You can see from the images taken at our factory, production is back on track, and we are looking forward to presenting you with what we believe is the best possible small travel trailer that we can produce.

Our top priorities for 2017 all focus on increasing the quality and value of our product, as well as the production capacity of our facility. We would like to touch on each of those items for you quickly.

Quality
Our primary focus here is our transition to our new, double-hulled fiberglass construction technique that will be used in all of our new models. This process brings on drastic improvements in preventing condensation, overall strength and stability, better insulation properties, and more. Introducing this technique has been a substantial undertaking, but well worth it.

Value
In our efforts to bring more to the table for our trailer owners, component sourcing has been a large area of focus for us. Plain and simple, we want to offer the best electronic, entertainment, climate and safety components available in the RV component market. This process includes sourcing, testing, and pricing hundreds of new component options, and to outfit your ParkLiner with the best equipment possible.

Production Capacity
RV sales in the US were unprecedented in 2016, and 2017 is looking just as strong. Any time that an industry sees this type of unexpected growth, the quality of the product being produced declines. This is simply due to production capacity, and the inability to keep up with demand. From day one we recognized this and made it a priority to upgrade and improve our facility to meet such demands.

We hope touching on these items can help you better understand our situation and the lengths we are going to produce the best possible product to our consumers. We are very excited to start sending out units to our dealers all over the nation, but we will not sacrifice our quality to get the product out the door. This is a value that you see reverberate not only through ParkLiner but through the entire line of Liberty Outdoors brands.

Thank you,

Dr. Godfrey F. Mendes
Co-Founder and Managing Director – Operations

Joseph Kicos
Co-Founder and Managing Director – Sales & Marketing

Liberty Outdoors
2012 ParkLiner #006

Tags
parkliner