New entry door handle/lock 1973 Amerigo Travel Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2017, 09:40 AM   #1

Name: Sheri
Trailer: 1973 Amerigo Travel Trailer
Colorado
New entry door handle/lock 1973 Amerigo Travel Trailer

Hi Campers. I am new to the forum and wanted to know if anyone has replaced the entry door handle/lock on a 1973 Amerigo Travel Trailer. I would appreciate any information on which one will work.
Thanks for your time!!!
Sheri
Roxie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 09:29 AM   #2

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi, Roxie 1 Sheri, Welcome to FGRV...and congrats on your new 1973 amerigo! I hope someone has a good reply for your question soon, as it'd be good to know; hard to find such parts for such trailers!

There ARE some trailer parts sales places, some have brick & mortar stores WITH online sales; I'm not sure their names. I know others here can help; a good online search might find them for you as well. Used Trailer Parts might be a start.

Here's a photo of OUR 1973 amerigo, "Peanut," one shell with 2 nuts in it:

BEST
Kai (Kathleen near Renton)
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 8 2016 C.jpg  
Old 06-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #3

Colorado
Smile

Hi Kai! Thanks for the welcome and the reply to my question. I will see what I can find with a little internet digging. Just to be clear, I don't want to replace it with the original one, but a newer, more effective one. The original one barely closes or locks.

I'm excited about my new little camper and being a part of the Amerigo community!! I will post any info I get.
Have a great day!!!
Sharon
Old 06-05-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, Roxie 1 Sheri, Welcome to FGRV...and congrats on your new 1973 amerigo! I hope someone has a good reply for your question soon, as it'd be good to know; hard to find such parts for such trailers!

There ARE some trailer parts sales places, some have brick & mortar stores WITH online sales; I'm not sure their names. I know others here can help; a good online search might find them for you as well. Used Trailer Parts might be a start.

Here's a photo of OUR 1973 amerigo, "Peanut," one shell with 2 nuts in it:

BEST

Kai (Kathleen near Renton)

Kai-One more question. Did you have those Amerigo logos and the stripes put on the side after-market? Mine does not have those multiple stripes but has a plastic Amerigo sign on the front and the side. Your camper is very nice! I am in the process of restoring mine.
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:00 AM   #5

Registry
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://...HuwTHWyyXPmfbg

We replaced almost everything except the door on our 1973 amerigo...that link above should take you to the photo thread.

Welcome, welcome! We amerigo owners are few and far between...FGRV is a great place to find us!

BEST
Kai
(Kathleen)
Old 06-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
I'm sure you can retrofit a newer handle/latch system, it's one of those projects where you'll just have to work your way thru it.
I would start by looking at any & all pictures of doors on this forum of different Amerigos for ideas. This one is a recent for sale ad & it has a replacement handle......maybe someone here can recognize & ID the style they used. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-79174.html
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1141.JPG  
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #7

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I'm sure you can retrofit a newer handle/latch system, it's one of those projects where you'll just have to work your way thru it.
I would start by looking at any & all pictures of doors on this forum of different Amerigos for ideas. This one is a recent for sale ad & it has a replacement handle......maybe someone here can recognize & ID the style they used. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-79174.html

Thank you SteveV! Great idea. I will go through the listings/photos and see what I can find. Thanks for responding to my post and for your time.
Good Day!
Sharon
Old 06-08-2017, 09:51 AM   #8

Name: Samantha
Trailer: Amerigo
Vermont
The door handle is one of the few things we don't have to replace in ours, but if you measure the openings you should be able to match that up with newer rv door handles like in the picture SteveV posted, good luck
skpcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #9

Registry
Cool

"Kai-One more question. Did you have those Amerigo logos and the stripes put on the side after-market? Mine does not have those multiple stripes but has a plastic Amerigo sign on the front and the side. Your camper is very nice! I am in the process of restoring mine. Thanks!"

Hi, Roxie, sorry for the delay.

I got the stripes stock on ebay, and had the logos and trailer name custom made by a seller on ebay. The other decals were also on ebay. They were all "rub on" which is fine -- we watched YouTube videos for the loooooooon stripes.

Thanks--Paul worked really hard on it. I had the fun part, sourcing, ordering, and planning.

We didn't restore ours, it's not a vintage restoration with all-original type everything. We "made it our own" in a big way, which some like and some don't. We do. But there's something about custom, accurate restoration that can't be beat for that amazing vintage effect!

BEST
Kai
(Kathleen near Renton)
Attached Thumbnails
amerigo Logo with globe and nothing else.jpg   Amerigo-Logo Globe only.jpg  

Old 06-08-2017, 05:31 PM   #10

Colorado
Thanks Kai. I love restoring things to their former beauty as well, but have to make it my own at the same time ;-) This is my 3rd vintage rv/camer that I have owned and restored. This is my favorite so far. The best part is meeting and interacting with other owners that are passionate about their campers. You are right, the entire process is fun.
I appreciate the links to the decals. I will look into it. All these campers, including yours, that are restored are an inspiration to me.

I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way. The replies so far have been a lot of help and much appreciated!
Happy Days!
Old 06-09-2017, 03:36 PM   #11

Registry
Hi, Roxie1, yes, we didn't restore, either...couldn't bear the length of time or cost to do it all as original--nor did we want to put the weight back in; we tried to go lighter for easier towing and ease of mind. (Mine)

I liked the idea (first heard it on FGRV) to "make it your own." It really is now, and every time I'm inside I like it as much as I did the first moment it was finished--well, sort of finished. Even today, we added some new hangers to the closet and found a BLACK bucket for our solar water heater. (The bucket IS the solar water heater--dark blue did OK...black should do better.)

Hope to cross paths one day--maybe we should consider a middle-area meeting place one day for an amerigo meet-up?

BEST
Kai
Old 06-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #12

Colorado
Skpcat-Thanks for your reply! I guess I will have to get creative with a new door lock. I will search the other photos. I should probably remove it first and see what I am dealing with inside ;-)
I will post what I actually come up with just in case anyone else is looking to do the same thing.
Have a great day!!
Old 06-14-2017, 05:43 PM   #13

Colorado
Kai- I will keep you posted if I take any trips your way! Would love to meet up for an fellow Amerigo Hello ;-)
Have a good day!!!
Sharon
Old 06-16-2017, 08:37 AM   #14

Colorado
Skpcat-I came across your posts on your camper remodel after you kindly responded to my forum question. A huge project for sure!! I thought you might be able to help me figure out the best place to find some window and door trim, etc. for my camper? Much of the trim in coming off and I'm afraid if the windows are not resealed properly, they will leak. It looks like you repaired all the windows in you camper, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a great day!!!
Sharon
Old 07-05-2017, 06:43 PM   #15

Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxie1 View Post
Skpcat-I came across your posts on your camper remodel after you kindly responded to my forum question. A huge project for sure!! I thought you might be able to help me figure out the best place to find some window and door trim, etc. for my camper? Much of the trim in coming off and I'm afraid if the windows are not resealed properly, they will leak. It looks like you repaired all the windows in you camper, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Have a great day!!!
Sharon

Hi Sharon, Im so sorry I missed this question when you posted it before! We took out all of our windows and resealed with Butyl tape and then caulked them from the outside with Butyl based caulking. We haven't trimmed the windows on the inside of the camper yet, waiting for a few weeks to make sure the windows aren't leaking. We are still deciding how to trim the interior right now...
Old 07-07-2017, 11:42 AM   #16

Colorado
Skpcat-thank you for the response and tips on how to fix the windows. I was trying to avoid removing them, but looks like that is the best/only option really. Please let me know how you decide to trim the inside because the trim that is on there is falling off and does not really fit properly.
Hope you are enjoying your summer!!!

Blessings-Sharon ;-)
Old 07-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #17

Vermont
Yea it really is the only option, even after doing all that we are still chasing down small leaks, and probably always will be. I will keep you posted on what we use for trim. Right now I'm thinking of trying vinyl wall base as its flexible for the rounded corners, has adhesive on the back and comes in different colors. Ill let you know how that experiment goes. Oh and my name is Sam (Samantha).

Tags
amerigo