Winterizing 2014 Parkliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2017, 09:48 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Georgia
Winterizing 2014 Parkliner

Any tips? Never done this before. From what I can see I don't have a water heater bypass already installed; looks like there's a valve on the cold water in tube and one on the red tube, although it seems a little far down the line since is after two red tubes branch off under the kitchen sink and the valve is down as the red tube heads into the floor (I guess thats headed to the shower/bathroom sink but why two lines going under the kitchen sink?). Am I correct that I need to run out and get a water pump conversion kit (I guess that's what it's called)? That and the bypass above are just fittings and tubes?
And my unit has two fresh water tanks, under each of the back benches. Does that make this more involved? I guess it scrunches things on the HW tank side, but other than making my big arms a problem, any issues?
Thanks.
FishingBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 07:30 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Only thing I know about a Parkliner is the one that belongs to friends had two drain valves inside, on the curb (door) side that were hard to find or reach. When opened they dumped water out to the rear of the wheel. I believe they drained both the hot and cold water lines. Don't know if yours is the same, but it's something to look for.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Just curious...Is winterizing necessary in Georgia? Perhaps in the area north of Atlanta? Would draining all the lines just be enough? We are heading through Georgia to Florida in a few weeks and planned to de-winterize during our one night stay in Nashville on the way down. Of course, we will wait another night for farther south if the forecast is frigid!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:15 AM   #4

Georgia
Maybe not immediately. A couple of nights down to 29 or so are expected by the end of the week but it's currently in my driveway so I can put a heater in. But even in a mildish winter I'd expect a couple of consecutive nights at 20 or less with high barely above freezing. And I've seen three days or so with it never breaking out of sub freezing temps and lows even in single digits.Oh and I'm in Atlanta.
And as I said, I'm new and need to learn this stuff.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Just curious...Is winterizing necessary in Georgia? Perhaps in the area north of Atlanta? Would draining all the lines just be enough? We are heading through Georgia to Florida in a few weeks and planned to de-winterize during our one night stay in Nashville on the way down. Of course, we will wait another night for farther south if the forecast is frigid!
We were camped in SE Georgia along the Florida Georgia line and woke up 2 mornings in a row with temps in the upper 20's
We camped in Northern Georgia and woke up to a nice blanket of snow.
We have camped in Southern Illinois on our way South and experienced night time temperatures well below zero
Then you get to central Florida with temps in the 90's and 100% humidity and Southern Illinois starts to sound really nice
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:49 AM   #6

Name: Leslie
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
Under the bench in back that is closest to the water and electric connections there is a valve handle that you turn 90 degrees to allow the water to drain from the pipes. Jack the front end up slightly to help flow towards waste water tank and outside drain.
Leslie14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #7

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Check out 4th post in this thread.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ual-82888.html

The hot water drain is right below the cold water drain. You might not be able to see it, so just feel around under the cold water drain until you find it.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Georgia
Thanks for all of those responses, especially the thread link, Huck. I'll post some specific questions there but I gather I don't need a water heater bypass kit or pump kit that I've seen referred to in other, more general posts, and that there is no antifreeze in the red hot water lines (how are we sure they're dry? Just because that drain stays open?).
Old 12-03-2017, 01:15 PM   #9

Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Last week we were at Magnolia Springs State Park which is sorta northern GA I think. At 7AM it was 32 degrees one morning. Now inland from Fort Meyers Florida they are predicting a cold front the end of the week, 70's during the day, mid 50's at night LOL. Otherwise low to mid 80's, low humidity and a nice breeze as we sit and watch big boats passing by on the Caloosahatchee River. Other years at Jekyll Island GA, on the coast just above the Florida border it went below freezing a few nights, but that was probably in January or maybe Feb.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 01:21 PM   #10

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
Thanks for all of those responses, especially the thread link, Huck. I'll post some specific questions there but I gather I don't need a water heater bypass kit or pump kit that I've seen referred to in other, more general posts, and that there is no antifreeze in the red hot water lines (how are we sure they're dry? Just because that drain stays open?).
I bought my Parkliner in Jan 2014 and it came with a hot water tank bypass. Look in front and slightly to the right of the hot water tank and you should see a lever that looks like the drain levers.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Considering your "mild" climate, you may get by just by draining the water tank, water heater and lines, and blowing them out with air. But, pour RV antifreeze into the toilet and flush it down. Also pour some in the the shower drain and flush that down. Our 2016 Parkliner has two drain valves just ahead of the water heater and down low in that compartment, one below the other. kinda hard to see. I can e-mail you pictures if you send me your e-mail address, to
Lwgcollins@aol.com.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 03:45 PM   #12

Name: Tom
Trailer: Parkliner
North Carolina
If you'll send me your email address, I'll mail you the complete winterizing instructions put together by Parkliner.
Thomasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #13

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2014 Parkliner 2016 Honda Pilot
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I bought my Parkliner in Jan 2014 and it came with a hot water tank bypass. Look in front and slightly to the right of the hot water tank and you should see a lever that looks like the drain levers.
I purchased mine in Nov 2014, and it has the same lever. Let me know if you'd like pictures. -- Anne
neparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #14

Georgia
Thanks all. Wayne and Thomas I've sent you my email by private message regarding your kind offers.

So under my curbside bench/bed there are three valves; on the drain lines for both hot and cold, which are a little challenging to access. And to the rear (right) of the water heater, one valve on the tube going into the heater tank. That's the "bypass valve" but threw me a bit because other descriptions and pictures I'd seen show a bypass that cuts off the input but then returns to the hot water line; turning both those valves would allow flow to bypass the tank but still get antifreeze into the hot water lines to the sink and shower. But with PL's system, there's no antifreeze in those lines, right? So if there's some water left in there, isn't there some risk of freeze damage?

If I blow air through everything in the system before the procedure in Huck's link, I guess I need to have the valve on the input line to the water heater open and the hot drain closed, then reverse each of those two valves before putting antifreeze in (so with air running through the water heater tank; but there's got to be some sediment in there)? Although I'd probably then decide Wayne's suggestion is good - if air is all that's done for the hot lines why put antifreeze in the cold lines if they both got the the same air treatment? If it's good enough for the hot lines shouldn't it be good enough for the cold ones?

Probably overthinking some. But my neighbors related a problem with a pop up that happened when they under thought.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:17 PM   #15

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Kevin, we travelled from IL thru TN and AL down to FL, and have seen snow as far south as AL more than once. Personally I wouldn't add water until you get to FL. Safe Travels.

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:21 AM   #16

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingBob View Post
If I blow air through everything in the system before the procedure in Huck's link, I guess I need to have the valve on the input line to the water heater open and the hot drain closed, then reverse each of those two valves before putting antifreeze in (so with air running through the water heater tank; but there's got to be some sediment in there)? Although I'd probably then decide Wayne's suggestion is good - if air is all that's done for the hot lines why put antifreeze in the cold lines if they both got the the same air treatment? If it's good enough for the hot lines shouldn't it be good enough for the cold ones?
There might be some water left in holding tank, so by dumping antifreeze in, you are protecting your holding tank as well as pumping antifreeze through the cold water pipe so you can run some into the kitchen drain, shower, toilet, and bathroom drain.

I think about the only place water might collect is at the entry into the bathroom, and that would be if the line doesn't drain properly when you open the cold and hot water drains.

Last winter I winterized my Parkliner in December and headed to the Gulf in early February. I used the city water hookup, not the holding tank, while camping; so when I returned I just added some more antifreeze (about 1/2 gallon) and ran it through the cold water pipe and flushed some into the drains and toilet.

What I did that helped me understand how to winterize was to open everything up and look at how the water traveled through the trailer. Once I understood that, it was easy to understand how to winterize and de-winterize.
Old 12-05-2017, 02:11 PM   #17

Georgia
Thanks again to all; pink came out of all the fixtures and went down all the drains, basically per the procedure in Huck's link. Tom sent me a copy of the original mailing from Parkliner/Chandler and the only real difference is that there's another footnote that says if, like mine, your unit has dual freshwater tanks, to put antifreeze in the starboard tank. Not sure if that meant "both" or "instead of" but decided belt and suspenders, so did both.
Old 12-05-2017, 03:38 PM   #18

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomK View Post
Kevin, we travelled from IL thru TN and AL down to FL, and have seen snow as far south as AL more than once. Personally I wouldn't add water until you get to FL. Safe Travels.

Tom
When we were living in Atlanta, we went home one year at Christmas to Illinois. Only snow we saw was at our Atlanta house......

I wouldn't add water until I was in Florida, unless you travel along the GA coast.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:07 AM   #19

Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
steve how did you keep want in that wx below zero?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:24 PM   #20

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
I installed a hot water bypass in mine as well as a drain for my single freshwater tank. Not sure what to tell you. Maybe a trip to a local RV place and ask them what they suggest?

Best of luck to you.

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner