Eggcamper interior trim & headliner - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: EggCamper 2012 #109, by 2006 Tundra or 2014 Outback
Western Massachusetts
Eggcamper interior trim & headliner

Hi All,

My used 2012 EGGCAMPER is missing it's interior liner/headliner. This liner is located in the middle fiberglass segment starting from the rear, from below the bed level up to and across the ceiling. Some pictured Eggs have no liner, but a trim strip on each side of that middle interior fiberglass section, along those 2 bands all the way across, again, from below the bed and up to and overhead to the front. Some have the 2 trim strips with a type of headliner covering the middle fiberglass section.
Mine is missing the strips and the "headliner".

My Questions:

What were the strips held on with and how can I remove the ugly "glue" that remains? The glue remnants are painstaking to peel off. They are clear and about 1" wide.

I will probably not re-install the "headliner" material, but just leave the white fiberglass. But, I'll need (plastic?) strips to cover the joint, which has an uneven, ugly gray caulk/adhesive (which might be SikaFlex) strip all along it. Any ideas on the strips or what to use? Just to cover the ugly gray part, the strip would have to be at least 2" wide (and maybe about 10-12' long). to cover the ugly gray and the indentation where the joints are would require at least a 4" wide strip. A white strip might be best, but I would consider another color also. The rest of the interior has a medium/dark green theme (carpet, etc)

Thanks for any help, comments or suggestions
Mark
coastsignal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #2

Western Massachusetts

Here is a picture of the interior of my Eggcamper taken when it was owned by the original owner in early 2014. Note the uneven, gray caulked seams.
thank-you
Mark
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Have you contacted the owner at EggCamper, Jim Palmer. He can probably help you.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #4

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Jim has a good suggestion.
I am curious to know why your Eggcamper looks like that? And what happened to the seat cushions? I would be surprised to know it was originally purchased that way.
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #5

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Mark, As for removing pesky adhesive remnants, I'm always amazed at what WD40 (yes, the spray lubricant in a can) will remove. Any time we purchase anything and can't get the label's adhesive to peal or wash off, a little WD40 does the trick. As for the unsightly gunk-filled seams, our 2010 EggCamper came without any kind of "rat fur" headliner and has simple, clean joints with no gunk along those seams. I need to take a closer look at ours in the morning, and maybe take a photo to show you. But I can't imagine the company has two casting molds, one for tight, clean, no fur seams and one for lose, sloppy fur covered seams. So you might be able to simply scrape that "ugly glue" off with a putty knife and fine nice tight, clean seam joints underneath. Have you tried doing that in a more concealed area? I don't think you have to worry about creating any leaks because of the one-piece outer top shell. Again, I need to look at ours again in the morning and hopefully send you a photo of our seams to show you what I mean. Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: boler
Ontario
I picked up a caulking removal tool from Home Depot for removing caulking around your shower or bath. It's red and made of solid plastic, has a flat edge and a pointed edge for corners and less likely to scratch the fiberglass. I've used this tool for any caulking like crap on my boler and works well for removing bulty tape too. That will take care of any bulk stuff. The WD40 works good but does leave a oily film unless rinsed well with water. Goo B gone is really good on all tape type adhesives.
slimmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:48 AM   #7

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Mark, I'm going to try to attach a few photos of our 2010 EggCamper's interior seam seals, but it looks for the world like they just used a bright white silicone sealer, about 1/2" wide, much like one would seal a bathtub or shower. They did a pretty nice, smooth job throughout most of it (like my wife would do; she's good with that stuff), but every once in awhile, they globbed the job a bit (like I would do; I'm NOT good with that stuff), but you don't notice the globs unless you go looking for them. I know some will warn people every chance they get (read Donna D here) to NOT use silicone sealer on fiberglass, but I think the problem is if you ever want to remove it - it's a real time-consuming pain. But in this case, the factory never intended anyone to remove it. In your case, I think since the seams were going to be covered with the "fur", the factory just used whatever was cheaper, easier, and maybe intentionally stay tacky on the surface to help hold the fur, knowing it would be covered, anyway. So again, I'm guessing you could just remove the ugly stuff, then cover the seam with a 1/2" wide bead of a bright white tub & tile sealant - emphasize "I'm guessing". Dale
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07728.jpg   DSC07724.jpg  

DSC07719.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

Western Massachusetts
Hi Dale,
Thanks for all the comments and especially, the pics. I think I''ll try your suggestion of stripping off a short portion of the tacky gray sealer and see if it looks like the seams in your pictures. So, the real reason For the gray sealer is to hold the strips and the headliner, and if I clean off the gray stuff, then just polish up the fiberglass and it might look just like yours does (Very Nice). If that's not the case with mine, then maybe I'll contact Jim Palmer. I can only guess is that the ceiling fan hatch was left open and the headliner got soaked and the first owner tore out the strips and headliner. I've had if for almost 2 months now, and left out in heavy rain with no leaks. Just towed it home last nite after 2 weeks in my brother's heated garage--makin' progress, but much left to do. I'll post some "in progress" pics. I put it on a CAT truck scale for total weight, and did the tongue weight in the garage--but I'll go with a new thread for the "weight" issue so others can pick up the info with a search. And... then the seats still to be started....Oh well, guess we sit on FG for a bit more time.
Thanks for the comments from all that posted so far.
Mark

Tags
eggcamper