Replacing Burro windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 09:39 AM   #1

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1978 Burro
Michigan
Replacing Burro windows

I have gone back and forth whether to redo or replace my windows in my Burro. I have looked for windows that are approx. the same size but haven't found any windows that are real close to the same size.

Has anyone replaced the windows in their Burro out there? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have thought of using 2 windows for the front and back by splitting the opening and putting/building in a fiberglass frame up the middle of the window openings back and front.

I do plan on taking one side window out this summer and see what I can do to make it keep out the rain.
DuaneQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
do your windows have round corners? Are they sliders or jalousies?
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:56 AM   #3

Michigan
Burro windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
do your windows have round corners? Are they sliders or jalousies?
Round corners and mine is a 1978. We still have some snow on the ground here. Sure would like to get started on the old girl soon but Mom Nature is in control.
Attached Thumbnails
IM000124.jpg  
Old 05-02-2017, 10:20 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Nothing like having new windows, but if you can't find the right size a custom made window can get expensive, probably 3 to 4 hundred. I adapted a Scamp side and rear window into our Haul, which is very similar to your Burro. There are always RV windows on eBay, maybe you'll get lucky. Look under teardrop trailers there too.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #5

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Feel free to PM me or check out my posts. I am restoring a Burro at the moment.

In the posting I have quotes for new windows. I chose to rebuild mine. I just finished up restoring all of them. I have a complete listing of all the parts you need and where to get them.

You are looking at around $1,800 for all new windows and around $600 to completely rebuild with all new glass and seals. I think you will be hard pressed to find 5 new windows cheaper than $600.

Good luck.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 12:38 PM   #6

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I tried rebuilding and it was frustrating and ultimately I went with spending on new custom windows with Pelland. Very glad I did that, and wish I hadn't spent the time trying to refurbish the original windows, which are crap, and I had an impossible time trying to make available sealing gaskets work. I do a lot of colder weather camping and life inside my trailer got SO much better when I had decent solid windows replacing the flappy drafty old things.

The main challenge with new - and it is a substantial challenge - is the compound curve of the front and back surfaces. The original windows are made to fit that curve but I was only able to get new windows that are flat (not a problem for the flat-surface side windows and door window of the Burro). I don't know, maybe there is a source out there making RV windows with that same compound curve but I couldn't find it. I had an interesting time trying to sculpt 10 layers of butyl to get the rear window to seal up properly and finally had an RV mechanic guy seal around that window with some pretty robust RV roof sealant which has done the trick nicely. The front window surface does not have quite the degree of curvature as the rear so that hasn't been a problem.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 03:59 PM   #7

Are you on the west end of the UP? Heard they were supposed to get snow today. ��❄️
kathy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #8

Name: Frank
Trailer: Casita
Pennsylvania
DuaneQ......

The outfit you need to contact re: windows is:

www.hehrwindows.net

Frank
NASA42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 AM   #9

Michigan
Burro windows

Hey I appreciate all the responses. Lots of different ways to tackle this window problem. I have looked on the net/ebay for RV windows etc that may fit my Burro but they either are too big or too small and I would have to change the opening size to accommodate them or buy custom windows and that will get expensive too. The cheapest windows I found are still around 100 dollars each and custom made around 200 or so. One other thing was that a lot of the aftermarket windows have tempered glass and I'm trying to keep the weight of the trailer as low as possible. I have one window on the left side that is my worst one and I'd like to pull it out and see just how difficult it would be to redo it. I love to tinker and am frugal too so I have to give redoing it a shot first I think.

That compound curve on the front and back as jen b mentioned is also going to cause a lot of difficulty replacing them. I thought of building a cedar frame to "flatten" the surface in the back and front but..........

Kathy B I'm in the Keeweenaw Peninsula where the snow never stops. ha I think we got over 250 inches this winter. I missed about 240 of it this winter.

What I do really like about the Burro is that the air can come into the trailer on all 4 sides. I spent 4 months in AZ this past winter again and without AC a little breeze is really nice coming thru the windows.

Scoboatn I will check out your other posts to see what you have done and are doing. Thanks!

And thanks to everyone who has commented on this dilemma.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:26 AM   #10

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
If I had to do it all over again, I would have seen into the future of my window issue, and when I had the trailer fully stripped down for body work and repainting I would have built up the front and rear window openings to accommodate new flat-surface windows. But at the time I thought I was going to be re-using the original windows.

Something for the "when I someday have a time machine" to-do list.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:02 PM   #11

Name: Samuel
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoboatn View Post
Feel free to PM me or check out my posts. I am restoring a Burro at the moment.

In the posting I have quotes for new windows. I chose to rebuild mine. I just finished up restoring all of them. I have a complete listing of all the parts you need and where to get them.

You are looking at around $1,800 for all new windows and around $600 to completely rebuild with all new glass and seals. I think you will be hard pressed to find 5 new windows cheaper than $600.

Good luck.

Do you know what seals the burro uses? I restored everything but the window seals last year and have been trying to figure this out for a few years.
samuelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #12

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneQ View Post
One other thing was that a lot of the aftermarket windows have tempered glass and I'm trying to keep the weight of the trailer as low as possible.

There is no difference in the weight of raw glass and it being tempered. The tempering is done after the glass has been cut to size and can't be cut after the process is done. Please use the tempered glass. Any cuts that may happen will only need a bandage...not stitches
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #13

Michigan
glass vs plexiglass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
There is no difference in the weight of raw glass and it being tempered. The tempering is done after the glass has been cut to size and can't be cut after the process is done. Please use the tempered glass. Any cuts that may happen will only need a bandage...not stitches
I guess I should have been more specific. My Burro has plexiglass in all of it's windows. "real" glass probably weighs at least 2 times if not more.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #14

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen b View Post
If I had to do it all over again, I would have seen into the future of my window issue, and when I had the trailer fully stripped down for body work and repainting I would have built up the front and rear window openings to accommodate new flat-surface windows. But at the time I thought I was going to be re-using the original windows.

Something for the "when I someday have a time machine" to-do list.
Jen life is always a learning experience. I have done over some of my projects 2-3 times and sometimes claim that I have made more mistakes than any 3 people living.

Now I have gotten so anal that sometimes I research for a year or more before I attempt to take on a difficult project. I now try to gather as many ideas and information as I can before jumping in with both feet.

There is no shame in making a mistake while others sit on the couch and make comments and do nothing. A friend of mine likes to say he has never lost a hockey game from his couch!
Old 05-17-2017, 04:34 PM   #15

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
I removed the cheesy smoked plexiglas windows and the frames in my Burro and had new custom horizontal sliders (vertical on the door) made by Motion Windows in Vancouver, Wa. They did a great job, and even installed them for me. The compund curve didn't pose a problem, as I had the front & rear windows divided into thirds, with the center part static and the outer portions sliders...it allowed sucking the frame up to the shell.

It's been 3 1/2 years (in the NW) and they do NOT leak at all, and are a much better wind seal than the old ones. They have screens, too. Total cost was $1800, and well worth it.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 09:56 AM   #16

Name: Troy
Georgia
I have a 1983 Burro I believe has round edges.. I have recently ordered windows from a company in Canada that makes them ( they are non refundable ) and they are fitting.... may I ask what did you do replace or buy new ones? what did you use what where the steps if you rebuilt them.. I'm very upset with my windows not fitting... and I can't seem to find anyone selling any old window parts or windows ... Can you give some insight?
Thanks Iris Benson
Please email : iris6277@icloud.com
bensonbunch2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 05:24 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Several weeks ago I received my order for my Burro from Motion Windows.
I'm so glad to have replaced those cheesy smoked plex windows too.
Motion Windows was absolutely great. The fit is perfect and no more leaks.

One more thumbs up for new windows after buying materials and trying to rebuild them unsuccessfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
I removed the cheesy smoked plexiglas windows and the frames in my Burro and had new custom horizontal sliders (vertical on the door) made by Motion Windows in Vancouver, Wa. They did a great job, and even installed them for me. The compund curve didn't pose a problem, as I had the front & rear windows divided into thirds, with the center part static and the outer portions sliders...it allowed sucking the frame up to the shell.

It's been 3 1/2 years (in the NW) and they do NOT leak at all, and are a much better wind seal than the old ones. They have screens, too. Total cost was $1800, and well worth it.
Thomas Haney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro, windows