What is your rear bed configuration in LD? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2017, 09:29 AM   #1

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
What is your rear bed configuration in LD?

Good Day! I have a 16' Liberty Deluxe on order. I am in the final stages of preparing the rear bed configuration. I understand that I can use a double, queen and king configuration. My inclination is the queen, I am strongly thinking about a north / south orientation, Head of bed under rear window, foot towards the kitchen. I plan on a Millard tri-fold queen 6" mattress to be placed on top of the Casita cusions. My wife wants to leave the rear bed up all the time.

Just wondering if any of you are using a queen mattress and what orientation works for you?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 06-28-2017, 10:13 AM   #2

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Exiting beds from the foot is uncomfortable.....

at least for me. try exiting a bed at home without a footboard and getting back into bed the same way.

but on the other hand if the bed runs east and west one of you has to climb over the other to get up.

I camp alone in my Compact Junior and can sleep kitty corner, letting me exit from the side which is much easier.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #3
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
I'm perplexed by the options, full, gueen and king. I'd like queen with head at back. Have a '98 LD, any diagrams for the setup available?
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #4

Name: Thomas
Trailer: 2016 ,17ft Spirt deluxe Casita.
Florida
16 ft ???

I was under the idea that the 13ft and 16ft were not available any more and only the 17ft was being built....
ironbutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 03:53 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbutt View Post
I was under the idea that the 13ft and 16ft were not available any more and only the 17ft was being built....
!3' was discontinued, but 16' is available for 2017 yr model. I have one on order. Web site still lists 16' but with the relatively small # ordered, it would not surprise me to see Casita yank the 16'? Who knows?

Mark
Old 06-28-2017, 03:59 PM   #6

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by rad View Post
I'm perplexed by the options, full, gueen and king. I'd like queen with head at back. Have a '98 LD, any diagrams for the setup available?
I have this from the current online showroom. I believe it is a 17' LD.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
LD interior.png  
Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 AM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
My understanding is the three factory-designed options are:

(1) Sideways "full" bed- 54"x76" (17') and 45"x76" (16')- with small bench extensions on either side where you can set up a table to eat. That's the layout shown in the previous post.

(2) Narrow 24" longways "twins" with the aisle left open between. Some people build extensions (with new cushions or mattresses) to make them wider for more comfort.

(3)"King" bed, with the full back of the trailer as one large sleeping space. It is 77" long (front-to-back) in the 17' model. I couldn't find any information about the 16'.

None are standard residential mattress sizes, hence the quotes.

In the "king" configuration, looks like it's still going to be too short to fit a standard queen mattress, which is 80" long.

POST EDITED AFTER REVIEWING THE BED SIZES THREAD.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
Wait....

If it was me, I'd wait until the trailer is in my driveway...

then I'd take the cushions to a foam place/store and test out certain thickness/densities of foam OVER the existing cushions....IME these places are more than happy to accomodate this...they already have square pre-cut foam "beds" in different densities and thickness....

once you find the right one, have them custom cut a piece of foam....using your assembled cushions as a template....you'll end up with a perfect fitting "mattress" that delivers exactly the comfort you want...
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
rad

Name: Randal
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
It's nice to see all these differing options, I choose the LD over the SD as I liked the larger sleeping area. Was hoping to keep the Queen set up with the table set-up in place. Thanks for the input!
rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:43 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I have the Millard tri-fold and don't need any cushions under it. It's very comfy. It does move around a bit more without cushions, though.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:12 PM   #11

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I'm pretty sure the rear sleeping area in the SD/FD is exactly the same as in the LD with the middle table set up. It's 54"x76" in the 17' models and 45"x76" in the 16' models. There is no queen-size (60" wide) configuration on any Casita model. In the LD it only becomes larger if you fold down the middle table and make one large bed from the galley to the back wall.
Jon, a few different ideas on the bed width. Just got a PDF from KC via Casita. What's an inch?🤔
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170702_150606933.jpg  
Old 07-02-2017, 09:47 PM   #12

Arizona
Registry
What's interesting is the length of the king configurations- a full 3-4" longer than reported in the "Bed Sizes" thread and long enough to replace the stock cushions with a true queen mattress. Sounds like your plan is a go!

What I'm wondering now is where the rest of the foot or so difference between the 16' and 17' is- must be in the galley and/or bathroom.
Old 07-03-2017, 06:47 AM   #13
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
What I'm wondering now is where the rest of the foot or so difference between the 16' and 17' is.
In our 1999 Casita, much of that extra is in the galley, with a smidge extra in the bath; but nowadays it looks like they're using the same galley furniture (cabinet) for the LD as for the SD/FD, just attached to the wall across from the door instead of to the wall adjacent to the fridge. I could be wrong: haven't seen one in person - I'm just going from the pics I've seen.

So, I don't know the answer to your question...although I once thought I did!
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #14

California
Quote:
What's interesting is the length of the king configurations- a full 3-4" longer than reported in the "Bed Sizes" thread and long enough to replace the stock cushions with a true queen mattress. Sounds like your plan is a go!

What I'm wondering now is where the rest of the foot or so difference between the 16' and 17' is- must be in the galley and/or bathroom.
Jon, I spoke with Tony from Iowa yesterday. He is also getting a 16'. He was told by Carla, sales rep at Casita, that the 12" was removed by taking 8" from the back bed and 4" from the galley area.

Mark
Old 07-03-2017, 09:22 AM   #15

Arizona
Registry
That 8" difference applies to the Spirit/Freedom models and represents the difference between the 46" dinette bed in the 16' and the 54" dinette bed in the 17'.

However, according to the document in post #11, there is only a 1" difference in the Liberty king bed configuration (80.5" in the 16' versus 81.5" in the 17'). That leaves 11" to account for. It has to be in the galley and bathroom.

You'll know all when it's in your driveway!

Tags
casita