Upgrade Bigfoot 25RQ to LT Tires? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Upgrade Bigfoot 25RQ to LT Tires?

Anyone done this? From what I can tell, one would have to put 16" wheels on to do this? I haven't found much in the way of LT tires in a 15" size.
I know there are proponents of both ST and LT, but IMO, there is too many who have posted that LT is the way to go! I understand Oliver is selling their units with LT tires now, so?

Back to question, has anyone done this conversion, and if so, can you be specific?

Thanks
JimKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Anyone done this? From what I can tell, one would have to put 16" wheels on to do this? I haven't found much in the way of LT tires in a 15" size.
I know there are proponents of both ST and LT, but IMO, there is too many who have posted that LT is the way to go! I understand Oliver is selling their units with LT tires now, so?

Back to question, has anyone done this conversion, and if so, can you be specific?

Thanks

Trailers need to have ST tires not LT. Going to an LT tire is most definitely a downgrade, meaning making it worse.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:27 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Trailers need to have ST tires not LT. Going to an LT tire is most definitely a downgrade, meaning making it worse.
Guess Oliver is downgrading then
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Guess Oliver is downgrading then
Or, it's marketing.
The Escape 19 doesn't need tandem axles, but customers think tandem axles are better, so it has tandem axles.
If I had to choose, I'd think the tire manufacturers know more about tires than Oliver.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:36 PM   #5

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Quote:
Yes, and manufacturers from Airstream to Oliver spec LT tires...LT tires are superior in speed ratings and longevity while ST tires are better at carrying higher weight...as long as your LT tires have a sufficient weight carrying capacity, you are good to go...keep in mind ST tires can be better at resisting sidewall flex(higher ply ratings)at max inflation pressures especially, as it applies to to "tire scrubbing" with dual axle trailers...........
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:12 AM   #6

Please correct me if I am wrong as I am researching as much as I can about tires and tire safety on RVs. But, a 16" tire should run cooler than a 15" creating less wear and eventual damage to the tire? So, my question again is whether anybody has been able to upgrade their rims and tires on the Bigfoot to 16" and have enough clearance between double axles and trailer wells? Thanks again for your input!
Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 AM   #7

Tires are more likely to 'age out' than lose enough tread that they need to be replaced.
Mine looked almost new when I replaced them at eight years.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:11 PM   #8

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
I recently changed my tires to LT truck tires. From every indication it was a very good upgrade. I have about 1200 miles on them so far. It is nice not to have to worry about the 65 MPH rated limit. The LTs are rated at 100. so 70-75 works very well.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:41 PM   #9

My Carlisle ST tires are rated 81mph.
I don't intend to get close.
Old 07-01-2017, 11:40 PM   #10

Name: Cathy
Trailer: Escape 19' sold, 21' August 2015
POBox 1267, Denison, Texas
Quote:
Yes, trailer tires are made differently and specifically and better for trailers than other tires.
Cathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:42 AM   #11

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
May want to check out the brand new this year, Goodyear Endurance ST tires. Made in the USA(only trailer tire that is, I think) and have some nice features. Just put them on my 25' Bigfoot FB and also my 22' North River boat trailer. There also come in a new 16" ST size as well....only one on the market.

https://corporate.goodyear.com/en-US...iler_tire.html
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:32 PM   #12

Thanks to everyone for their input, pros and cons. I'm pretty well convinced that LT tires are the way to go. I am thinking my best bet is to upgrade my axles and brakes at the same time. Good insurance, I believe.

Apparently no one here has done such an upgrade to the Bigfoot?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:49 PM   #13

Name: Dan
Trailer: Bigfoot 30th Anv. 25B25FB
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKE View Post
Thanks to everyone for their input, pros and cons. I'm pretty well convinced that LT tires are the way to go. I am thinking my best bet is to upgrade my axles and brakes at the same time. Good insurance, I believe.

Apparently no one here has done such an upgrade to the Bigfoot?
Over on the Bigfoot owners website, one person did exactly that, upgraded his axles. Look under the trailer section. He also just recently needed to put new tires on his 25FB and went with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. I followed his lead and put them on my 2008 30th Anviversary Bigfoot 25B25FB

Sorry, but I personally think the LT tires are not the way to go. Why not go with the new 16" Endurance if you want a 16' tire? Goodyear is the only one making a 16" trailer tire. Being made in the USA is also a plus over chinese tires. JMO.
Wacenturion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #14

Name: abcde
Trailer: noneofyourbusiness
British Columbia
ST versus LT tires?

This topic is one of those where people have strongly held beliefs!

A number of jurisdictions allow the use of LT tires for trailers (Ontario for example) whereas others insist only ST tires be used for a trailer (BC for example). I've no idea if the situation is equally inconsistent in the US?

It's critical to choose tires with an adequate load range and run them at the correct pressure. Load range E and above tires require heavier duty valves and rims due to the higher pressures such tires are usually inflated to.

Most ST tires have hard rubber tread compound to give long mileage and tread patterns designed for asphalt roads. In other words they suck on loose gravel or snow/ice that you may encounter on mountain passes in early or late season. If you regularly drive such conditions a high quality LT tire with a good winter tread pattern may be a good option. Basically to reduce the chance of trailer wheel lock up and skidding on marginal conditions.

In Canada a high quality LT winter tire will cost 30 to 50% more than an ST mass market tire (Goodyear, Carlisle, etc.) of the same size and load range. And the LT tire will wear faster due to the softer tread pattern.

It would be really nice if we could get comments from tire manufacturers on current tire technology, as it is constantly evolving. For example the new Carlisle ST tires are rated to 81mph whereas their older products and Goodyear Marathons are only rated to 65mph. The idea of anyone towing a travel trailer at 80mph has distinct fuel consumption and safety drawbacks IMHO

I don't believe there is a black and white answer. It depends on where and when you drive, what you tow and the legal requirements of the state/province in which your vehicle is licensed and insured.
Old 07-07-2017, 03:01 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacenturion View Post
Over on the Bigfoot owners website, one person did exactly that, upgraded his axles. Look under the trailer section. He also just recently needed to put new tires on his 25FB and went with the new Goodyear Endurance tires. I followed his lead and put them on my 2008 30th Anviversary Bigfoot 25B25FB

Sorry, but I personally think the LT tires are not the way to go. Why not go with the new 16" Endurance if you want a 16' tire? Goodyear is the only one making a 16" trailer tire. Being made in the USA is also a plus over chinese tires. JMO.
Thank you. I looked at the Goodyear Endurance tires, but it appears I would have to change rims as well as they are only rated to 65lbs where as the tires inflate to 80lbs. I called Goodyear and they said they would not work unless I changed rims to accommodate a higher pressure tire.
Did you do the same?
Thank you!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #16

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
Do you havvta have 16"tires???
Do you havvta have E rated tires???
205-75-15 D rated tires are 65# rated with 2150#s of capacity...no rim change that way...just sayin.........
madjack

p.s. those numbers came from Goodyears website about Endurance tires..........mj
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ViewSizesSpecs
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 09:21 AM   #17

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
You do need to make sure you have rims rated for higher tire pressure, yes.

I'm also not sure that going to LT tires is an upgrade, but if you've done your research and feel you're making an informed decision, that's cool.

But yeah, if for some reason you need 16" rims, and need high load range tires that take a lot higher pressure (pressures that will cause your trailer to be bouncing up and down going down the road, skipping all over the place and "floating" dangerously on dirt roads), then definitely make sure you get a rim rated for those higher pressures.

I was looking at LT tires for a bit too, since for a while I couldn't find any trailer tires which didn't have tons of terrible reviews. It seems a lot of trailer tires are crap. But there are some good trailer tires, and a lot of the negative reviews are also from people who weren't using them correctly as far as inflation.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 06:53 PM   #18

O.K. I will be a guinea pig here:

1) Put on Goodyear Endurance tires - taking a chance but hoping they will be much better than Marathons which others have had so-so luck with. These are LR-E 10 ply, 80PSI - which I will inflate to around 70PSI or higher as weight determines. Which leads to the following

2) added new rims to accommodate 80 psi tires as the stock rims from Bigfoot are 65lbs. Maybe a little overkill, but I really am sensitive to safety in trailer tires. Maxxis would be my other choice but the Endurance are made in US and have a couple other features that I like. Fingers crossed!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #19

I don't get this "made in the USA" thing.
Seems to me that all the expertise in tire manufacturing has left the continent.
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 PM   #20

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
I don't get this "made in the USA" thing.
Seems to me that all the expertise in tire manufacturing has left the continent.
Ever been to Akron?

Tags
bigfoot, tires