New Trillium owner with Rotten Floor! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 PM   #1

Name: Bridget
Trailer: Currently Shopping
California
New Trillium owner with Rotten Floor!

Hello,
I just bought a 1977 Trillium 1300 yesterday and am excited to get my Trillium back on the road and join this community. It has a lot of good assets, but today I realize that the floor boards are wet and soggy. There is an area in the front (see attached picture that had originally a shower, but was removed, and the fiberglass floor was cut out and repaired with plywood. The plywood exposed is wet and soggy. Also upon checking under the dinette seating areas, both sides also have exposed plywood that is wet and soggy. It appears that we may need to tear out the entire floor to remove all the rotten soggy wood underneath. I have no experience working with fiberglass. I am also concerned about damaging the structural integrity if I cut out the floor. I understand that this is not an easy job, but am curious to get any advice from anyone who has done this before. Also if anyone is in the Los Angeles area and knows of anyplace that can do this type of repair, that would be great.
Much appreciated,
Bridget
Attached Thumbnails
20200105_164054.jpg  
bmarrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 07:56 PM   #2

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
Lots of threads on this forum about replacing the floor in a bunch of different campers. Do a search and it'll give you ideas on other things to work on, like strengthening/fixing/replacing the frame.

Have fun.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:26 PM   #3

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
The floor in the dinette is separate from the main floor. Repairing/replacing the main floor on a Trillium is extremely difficult, due to the construction/design of the trailer. Hopefully it will just be that small area up front and the dinette in the rear. The plywood flooring on the dinette is separate from the main floor.

You will find threads on dinette area floor replacement. Its not too bad of a repair. I haven't seen a thread on repairing the main floor on a Trillium 1300/4500 (the two models with everything fiberglassed in place).

Before choosing the Trillium I bought, I inspected two with serious main floor rot (I passed on both of them). Both were bought shortly after by other buyers.....

The pontoon design, also unique to Trillium, makes floor rot less likely. But when it happens, the remaining design makes repair challenging.

That corner area in the front originally held a toilet, no shower. Someone might have done a poor repair in that area, so perhaps the damage will be limited to that area. Fingers crossed.

Any new Trillium owner should also look up discussions on common Trillium shortcomings, like the belly band, window leaks, body to frame bolts rotting away, and door hinge wood rot. I love my Trillium but it does have its issues. Surprising to me, the new Trilliums have not addressed these design flaws.

On the upper right side of the screen, is a tab marked "Manufacturers", click on that tab, then choose Trillium. There you will find most of the threads that have been written on Trillium trailers.

The other Trillium models are built differently, so repairs to them is different and not really applicable to the 1300/4500 models.

Good thread on dinette floor replacement:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-25926.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium