A/C 2007 Eggcamper - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #1

Name: Bob & Jen
Trailer: Egg Camper
Arizona
Registry
A/C 2007 Eggcamper

I am new member and this is my 1st post. I purchased my 2007 Egg in May 2013. We live in the Tucson area. With temps. in the 110's it difficult to keep in inside cool with the small A/C unit near the floor.

I would like to know if other members have had the same problem and if so how did you solve it. I would like to install a roof unit. But, I am not sure if the roof of an Eggcamper would support a 100 pound A/C unit.

Any suggestion or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob
KossKlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Hi Bob, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

We have a number of EggCamper owners here on the forums, along with a bunch of other kind and help folks. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with an answer to your questions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:57 AM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Welcome! I cannot speak of your particular unit but we lived for 6 years in Marana, just north of Tucson, and I don't think the A/C is the problem but the climate. We had both a Class C and pop-up and the Class C with big A/C could not keep up with the heat in September there. We, too, were searching for a unit that would let us do comfortable summer camping and I had a gentleman from Green Valley tell me that his Nash (stickie) was well insulated, I think possibly the best in the stickies or close, was comfortable for them and they were staying in it full-time during the summer.

I do wonder if your unit needs a charge if it is that type of unit. I am not familiar with the one that Eggcamper uses. You might look at making window covers with Reflectix (that sandwich of aluminum foil and bubble wrap) as that will help. A small fan running can also help as we have one of the Fantastic fans that runs on DC and we got an adapter plug so that we could run it on AC. Shade helps but there isn't much to be found in the desert. I loved the beauty of the desert but the heat...............

I hope you find a solution.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #4

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I recall that the stock a/c in the EggCamper is a 5000 btu unit. Some have replaced that unit with a slightly more powerful 8,000 btu unit. Measure and replace.
Old 07-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Call Jim at eggcamper, he could tell you what the roof will hold. Contact info is on his website.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 07:49 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Call Jim at eggcamper, he could tell you what the roof will hold. Contact info is on his website.
Direct link: EggCamper LIGHTWEIGHT FIBERGLASS TRAVEL TRAILER
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #7

Trailer: Eggcamper 17 ft Electric
Registry
We've rarely used the AC unit in our EggCamper, but then we live in NH. But, when we did use it, we found that it really wasn't adequate, because of its location. The cold air stayed near the floor. Our solution was to place a small fan, right in front of the AC unit, which directed the cold air toward the roof. (There's already a 120 vac outlet right there.) That helped, but I suspect that a larger unit would also help. Perhaps a larger unit with fins that would direct the air upward would be a solution.
Ron F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #8

Arizona
Registry
Installing a Frigidaire 8000 BTU

Thanks to all that responded with tips and advice. It sure made us feel welcome to the forum.

I decided to install a larger Frigidaire A/C unit. The original is a Frigidaire 5000 BTU. I will need to enlarge the opening under the seat to accommodate the slightly wider and higher dimensions. The ducting for the exhaust side will also need modification.

I hope to get started tomorrow and will post photos of the project incase anyone is interested.

Thanks again for your help.
Bob & Jen
Old 07-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
We love photos, welcome again to FGRV.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:18 AM   #10

Name: Letitia
Trailer: 2011 Eggcamper
Florida
Registry
Hello Bob & Jen...and welcome, from one new Eggcamper owner to another!!
We purchased our 2011 about the same time as you got yours. So, far we have only had the opportunity to camp in the Florida Keys...hot hot sun! We, too, worried about the 5000 btu AC, and have been considering replacing with an 8000 unit. (There are other brands a bit smaller than Frigidaire, still 8000 btu.) We are eager to hear how your project goes (step by step) and see your photos! I will say this....we did not think the 5000 unit would allow us to camp this summer, but we have managed. Just returned last night from a 5-day stay at Bahia Honda SP. Our waterfront site had a bit of shade. We had a fan inside if we needed it (never at night....maybe just during hottest part of afternoon if we wanted to rest inside/take a nap). An amazing ocean breeze kept us cool outside. We had the option of swimming if it got too warm....and also, we sometimes take a drive (car AC!) to explore surroundings or maybe have lunch at a local hang-out to stay out of the heat for a while. Our next reservations are in August, same Park but the site is not shady.....so we'll see how we do. We may decide to take the plunge as you are planning to do. Best of luck with the project and we look forward to seeing your progress!!
2011 Eggcamper #106
Letitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:26 PM   #11

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
Bob & Jen

I have a 2007 EggCamper. I haven't installed an air conditioner yet but I did tint the windows with 5% transmission film. It made a huge difference. If you do tint the windows use the tint that blocks heat as well as light. It is only slightly more expensive. Tint film is available at auto parts stores.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #12

Name: Jason
Tennessee
I have been contemplating the same thing you are doing. The 5k AC is a little under powered, the controls basic, and air control non-existent.

While keeping an eye out for a replacement I found Home Depot has a LG unit (7k or 8k?) that also has heat. What if we could put this in and use a standard home heat/AC thermostat?

Hmmm...

Jason
SilverGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:55 AM   #13

Arizona
Registry
A/c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letitia View Post
Hello Bob & Jen...and welcome, from one new Eggcamper owner to another!!

Just returned last night from a 5-day stay at Bahia Honda SP. Our waterfront site had a bit of shade. We had a fan inside if we needed it (never at night....maybe just during hottest part of afternoon if we wanted to rest inside/take a nap).
Letitia,

Thanks for the welcome. Jen & I lived in Fort Myers for almost 10 years and recently move to Arizona to manage an RV resort north of Tucson. Camping in the deep south presents special needs for A/C.

Our first day of camping was on our trip from AZ to Michigan. It was 113 when we left Tucson we were able to get the temp. inside to 110. Thats when we decided to change the A/C unit. I talked to Jim Palmer yesterday. He was very helpful and had several recommendation to solve my A/C problems. The simplest was to open one of the roof vents about 1/8 inch. Just enough to allow the hot air to exhaust from the camper. I think this would help in some areas but may not help much in AZ when temps get above 100.

I looked at Bahia Honda SP web page. It looks like one of those special places in Florida. I am sure your are looking forward to your next trip.

Thanks again for the welcome. Weather permitting I will start the modification today, and will posts photos

Bob
Old 07-09-2013, 05:56 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I agree on the window film and forgot that we had installed that on our last trailer. You can usually get it at the "home" stores also or online. I have installed it in 3 of our homes. It gives you an added measure of privacy also. I would certainly contact Eggcamper if it were me because if I remember correctly, there is only a carrying capacity of 500 lbs on the Eggcamper. I am not sure what the weight difference between the units being discussed is and you will be putting that weight toward the hitch. I would just get some advice from the factory first.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Eggcamper / Chevy S-10
Registry
We found that, if our 2009 EggCamper is receiving direct sunlight, the AC can not keep up if the outside temperature is above 90 F. Once the sun goes down the AC does just fine. As others have done, we have added a small fan to help distribute the cool air; slightly opening one of the ceiling vents and adding window film also sound like good avenues to explore. We've never had a significant problem with the AC because, being fair-weather campers, we simply don't go camping if outside temperatures are expected to be above 90 degrees; on those days we'll stay put and enjoy the comforts of home.
Ray N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 04:50 PM   #16

Arizona
Registry
A/C Replacement

I would like to thank all for their advice and suggestion about improving the A/C in my 2007 Eggcamper. I have completed the installation of a Frigidaire 8000 BTU unit. I selected this unit because it reguired a minimum of alteration to the Eggcamper.

The height of the unit is the same as the Frigidaire 5000 BTU. The width was 3 1/2" wide. I had to cut the opening in the seat bottom 1 3/4" on each side. The only modification required on the interior.

Because the unit was approx. 3" deeper it was necessary to do two modifications to the ehaust side. But I was able to use the original shroud by cutting and removing the flange and approx. 2 1/2" from the end that mates to the back of the A/C unit. Then added a new 3/4" aluminum flange. The original slanted drip tray needed miner modification allowing the unit to sit level.

New 3/4" aluminum flanges were added to the front of the unit to attach it to the seat bottom.

The only remaining revision is to make an Oak frame to finish-off the area around the unit and cover the aluminum flanges.

I also modified a small fan to help move the conditioned air up away from the floor.

The units work great and cooled the inside of my Egg quickly. However, the true test will come when we return to Arizona in September.

This was a fun and moderately easy project that I hope will allow is to use our Egg in the southwest.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0016.jpg   IMG_0014.jpg  

IMG_0015.jpg   IMG_0017.jpg  

IMG_0019.jpg  
Old 08-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #17

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Beautiful installation job. As the Beatles said: "I get by with a little help from my friends..."
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eggcamper