Casita/Scamp 13 Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
Casita/Scamp 13 Help

I am about to complete my Sacamp 13 project. I took it out for a successful 5000 mile shakedown and I now think I know what I want. As I complete mine and consider selling, I am also considering buying my next one. This time I think I want a Casita or Scamp 13 with the bath/shower.
I would like to hear from current owners of these about how functional they are and the limitations. Also if there are any owners in the Albuquerque-Las Cruces, NM-El Paso, TX corridor that would allow me a look at their full bath models I would appreciate it. Any info with be helpful.

Greg
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
I am about to complete my Sacamp 13 project. I took it out for a successful 5000 mile shakedown and I now think I know what I want. As I complete mine and consider selling, I am also considering buying my next one. This time I think I want a Casita or Scamp 13 with the bath/shower.
I would like to hear from current owners of these about how functional they are and the limitations. Also if there are any owners in the Albuquerque-Las Cruces, NM-El Paso, TX corridor that would allow me a look at their full bath models I would appreciate it. Any info with be helpful.

Greg
We have a 2004 Scamp 13 deluxe, "Eggy-Sue" [the pull-it surprize].
She is gorgeous and commodious, with every possible comfort.
The shower and toilet are convenient and in our minds, making our Scamp a complete place to stay. We have towed her over 45000 miles to this point and spent more than 200 nights onboard. Several times we have returned home with conflicted feelings about leaving her cozy confines.
Eggy-Sue is a deluxe with an Oak interior, she has a 54" wide bed and as a result of having the head/shower also has a large closet with room above for our microwave and even more storage. Due to the oak interior she is assembled with screws instead of pop rivets which in combination with the cabinet design has made for exceptional integrity of construction. The oak adds a rich feeling to the interior, like that of going below on a quality sailboat.
In the spring of 2008 Scamp started to offer a 13 Standard with a head/shower room. This might compare, favorably, with Casita's Patriot 13. They do not make anything comparable to Scamp's deluxe however.

I do want to say that we have a great affection for every small fiberglass trailer,whether still being manufactured or not, and the fact that we are so well satisfied is not to mean we cast aspersions on others.
Attached Thumbnails
Eggy-Sue inside 004.jpg   Eggy-Sue inside 008.jpg  

Pic014.JPG  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Hi Floyd,

This is a little tangent, but it should be quick, if the OP will indulge me for a moment.

I see that, for example in your last photo, your bathroom/closet wall panels are screwed in from the side, probably to cleat stock behind it that is also attached to the roof. So, what I'm curious about is how Scamp mounts the cleat stock to the roof/walls. Do they tab it in with fiberglass? Screw it in from the outside? Or?

I'm in the process of tabbing in my cabinetry, just 'cause .... I'm a fiberglass boat person and so the rivets/holes bug me. (Admittedly, I'm weird ) I had thought about tabbing in cleats, and then fastening my fiberglass cabinets to them, but I decided not to since the fiberglass cabinets don't originally have the fastener holes on that face (they have an outward turning lip for fastening, as I'm sure you know).

Anyway, just curious how Scamp attached their cleats to the roof/walls.

I like the Deluxe layout, with or without bath. If I were camping with two, I would probably slice 6" off my closet and kitchen

And now back to your originally scheduled thread.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:46 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
Hi Floyd,

This is a little tangent, but it should be quick, if the OP will indulge me for a moment.

I see that, for example in your last photo, your bathroom/closet wall panels are screwed in from the side, probably to cleat stock behind it that is also attached to the roof. So, what I'm curious about is how Scamp mounts the cleat stock to the roof/walls. Do they tab it in with fiberglass? Screw it in from the outside? Or?

I'm in the process of tabbing in my cabinetry, just 'cause .... I'm a fiberglass boat person and so the rivets/holes bug me. (Admittedly, I'm weird ) I had thought about tabbing in cleats, and then fastening my fiberglass cabinets to them, but I decided not to since the fiberglass cabinets don't originally have the fastener holes on that face (they have an outward turning lip for fastening, as I'm sure you know).

Anyway, just curious how Scamp attached their cleats to the roof/walls.

I like the Deluxe layout, with or without bath. If I were camping with two, I would probably slice 6" off my closet and kitchen

And now back to your originally scheduled thread.

Raya
The bulkhead wall is attached to glassed-in wood and covered with rat fur , making it inconspicuous.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The bulkhead wall is attached to glassed-in wood and covered with rat fur , making it inconspicuous.
And more importantly (to me, anyway), then there are no holes to the outside world. Nice!

Thanks for allowing me the tangent (and perhaps it will ultimately help the OP if he is considering a Scamp Deluxe).

Raya
Old 09-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
We also have a 13' deluxe we bought new in 2007. We had it equipped with the full bath, a/c and all the goodies Scamp had to offer. We feel the same a Floyd, the wood interior (ours is oak too) gives the interior space a warm and welcoming feel. We also have a 40' Allegro Bus which is a Tiffin motorhome and it's interesting how much the HM stays in it's garage these days as we take off with the Scamp in tow. We have found the Scamp to be very reliable and trouble free and the Scamp folks are very good with their customer service. Someday when we decide to sell the MH, we'll probably also sell our 13 and move on to a 16' Scamp deluxe with full bath. Good luck in which ever way you go., Ron

PS--listen to Floyd, he'll give you the straight scoop and lead you in the right direction.
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
And more importantly (to me, anyway), then there are no holes to the outside world. Nice!

Thanks for allowing me the tangent (and perhaps it will ultimately help the OP if he is considering a Scamp Deluxe).

Raya
There may be a miscommunication, one way or the other, There are plenty of screws through from the outside,While the wall in question was mounted as described, the cabinets and such are mounted with screws from the outside, and the curtain rods still use rivets.

RSchleder; Thank you for the kind words
Old 09-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #8

Trailer: 1986 Scamp 13 ft
Floyd and RS, do you find water supply and hot water adequate for a simple shower if you are untehthered with hoses and landlines? Also is the height of the shower head reasonable?
thanks
Greg
Greg G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Greg, after spending 23 years in the National Guard, I've learned to take a GI shower . Use a little water, soap up, rinse off and your good. The fresh water tanks are limited too 12 gal (if I remember correctly) so if you don't have access to fresh water to refill the tank, it does go pretty fast with showers. I find that if the campground has water somewhere, a 5 gal jug or a few 1 gal jugs will replenish your fresh water tank quickly and easily. The shower head is a good height and can be removed from it's bracket and hand held if desired. Also, the hot water heater is quick recovery and we've never ran out of hot water when 2 of us take showers. Regard, Ron
RSchleder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #10

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg G. View Post
Floyd and RS, do you find water supply and hot water adequate for a simple shower if you are untehthered with hoses and landlines? Also is the height of the shower head reasonable?
thanks
Greg
The water heater is unbelievable. It is so well insulated that it will keep water hot indefinitely on the pilot when not being used. Once hot, it will keep water hot enough for a shower the next daywith the pilot off and without firing it up.
With a full tank of fresh water, the hot water full and the propane on,We can each take a shower twice with very little attention paid to conservation. As much as four times each with careful conservation methods and using the sink. Of course, you can always add water to the tank.
I am 6ft tall and I have no problem with the height of the shower.The room is adequate but I found that the shower works best for me after adding an extra holder for the shower head at waist height and showering in two zones. Also, I made what I would call a "spacesaver" shower curtain. It is a 3/8" cafe rod with a custom cut plastic shower liner, suspended with stainless steel key rings. This arrangement takes only a fraction of the space of a standard shower rod and curtain and actually works better.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:30 PM   #11

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Raya
Here are some pictures of a 13 Deluxe being built. Is this what you are looking for.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
683.JPG   684.JPG  

685.JPG  
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 09:33 PM   #12

Hi Eddie,

Yes, I was wondering if those cleats were tabbed (looks like they are). Not that rivets don't work (obviously they do!), but with fiberglass you have the chance to join things with no holes, which is even better

Thanks for those photos
Old 09-06-2010, 09:44 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Raya
Another PIC, more detail.
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails
686.jpg  
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, scamp