Axle Replacement Type for 1985 Casita 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 08:48 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Axle Replacement Type for 1985 Casita 13'

I've got a 1985 Casita 13' deluxe model, and I think she may need a new axle. She's kind of listing to one side, and I'm pretty sure it's not the frame. No big worries, wanted to give her the most clearance possible, and this is more important to me than re-doing her house wiring.

Any advice on what model Dexter axle I should get? Leaf spring or rubber torsion?

I'm sure I could find my answers with a bit more searching, but unfortunately I'm scrambling. Family member is sick, and I'll be spending a lot of time on the road between my home and hers in the next xxx months, and my wee trailer will be a huge asset in that regard!

Thanks in advance...
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:24 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Any suggestions?
Michele B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:14 AM   #3

Name: Jesse
Trailer: 1984 Scamp 13'
Maryland
You want a torsion axle. As for the model, the one on your Casita may still have the information plate on it. That should tell you which one you want. Casita might be able to help, too.
mcbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Trillium 1978 13 ft
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele B View Post
Any suggestions?
Hi Michele ! Bill G. here:

First I'd like you to take a DEEEEEEEeeeeeeep Breath. Thanks. It's ok to breath normally now ;- ) Jacquie and I are a couple of the pioneers that helped to start The Oregon Gathering Rally. Because of my background in the automotive/marine industries I have been able to draw on the talents of some of the really generous people who supply the parts we need for our trailers. Shall we start with Six Robblees' Inc./ West Coast distributors of Dexter Axles?

GREG HOUSER Branch Manager Eugene,OR. cell: 541-520-5443
1-800-222-7874
SixRobblees

GREG is the one who has been supplying The Oregon Gathering "everything" Dexter, including a full-size working model of the Dexter Torflex axle. His generosity has covered the last seven years!!!

Forgive me if I may sound a bit gruff, rude or maybe abrupt. You have been very concise as to what your needs are, a tight budget and an unfortunate illness in the family. I will keep this in mind. These are the things to be done before you speak to any shop about an axle:

1. Empty your trailer and have it weighted at a commercial scale and get printed documentation. This is needed to determine the size(weight capacity) of the axle. No Guessing !!! (Big trouble!!!!)
2. Write down the size of the wheels. This will help to determine the downward starting angle of the arm. When this is all back together and you drive over a BUMP!, the arm, wheel and tire will all swing up into the wheel well; but because you had "the pros" design and install your axle, no problem.
3. MEASUREMENTS for NEW AXLE: They MUST be done by someone who KNOWS what they are doing!!!! If YOU supply the numbers and the axle does not fit, it's yours and you'll have to buy another one. This is very precise engineering with very little "fudge-factor". Ask for help. They have built tens-of-thousands of axles; you will be very happy with YOUR axle.

Disclaimer: I do not work for nor ever have been employed by any of the companies/products listed in this discussion.
WGG

PS Please order BRAKES on your new axle. You'll love them! It will be one of the best things you will ever do for yourself!!!!!!!!

Jacquie & I will be at the NOG in about ten days and I will have some Dexter materials. If you would like to have a more private chat, stop by;or send me a PM.
Bill
Bill and Jacquie G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, casita