1986 Boler Upgraded - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2017, 09:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS View Post
Wow! I love your upgrades. I have young kids as well, and may need to copy your rail. We've only been out once so far and my eldest (6) didn't roll off, but you never know! I am particularly jealous of your wiring! Mine is a mess, any recs for resources or did you just happen to have previous pro/DIY knowledge?
Thanks. The bed rails work well for the kids and keeping pillows/sheets on the bed. As far as wiring goes I'm no pro just a tinkerer that finds wiring issues relaxing to solve.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:22 AM   #22

Name: Philippe
Trailer: Boler Voyageur 1977
Quebec
How does your 'screen door' works?

Do you simply unroll it?

How does it follow the curve of the door/wall?

Where did you get it/how did you make it?
wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 AM   #23

Registry
The screen door simply unrolls and snaps into place around the inside door frame. Works well and was possibly sewed by the former owners. The only issue is that coming in and out requires unsnapping and resnapping every time. We end up only unsnapping the bottom half and ducking in and out under it, which works and still keeps the bugs out, for the most part.

I might be modifying it in the future to incorporate a zipper or magnets down the center.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:54 AM   #24

Registry
I recently was able to reprogram the Amazon Echo to activate and respond using the word "Computer."

It's great walking into the camper and saying, "Computer, what is the 7 day forcast," "Computer, tell me a joke" or "Computer, play music!"

I have the Echo wired to our 2.1 sterio sound system, which are integrated computer speakers and subwoofer wired to run off the 12v system.

The subwoofer is installed under the bed and the speakers hang bellow the rear cabinet.

Now if I can only find a way to have it respond to the name Boler... that's a work in progress.
Attached Thumbnails
20170722_161629.jpg   20170811_182206.jpg  

20170811_182218.jpg   20170811_182405.jpg  

Old 08-11-2017, 05:00 PM   #25

Registry
Smile

I had a hard time deciding where I wanted an outside A.C. outlet, mostly because I didn't like the appearance of the waterproof outlet boxes available.

Instead, I decided to make my own out of a brass marine fuel inlet. I ran a 20amp line off of a 20amp GFIC to a 20amp rated switch on the kitchenette and over to the rear curbside. Then did a bit of cutting of the inlet and some modifications to a plug. The lip on the fuel inlet serves as a rain gutter, while the plug being recessed further works to protect it from rain.

I run our drop light to it, which lights up the EZ-Up at night while powering our WIFI booster.

Our drop light contains a light bulb I found on Amazon that doubles as a bug zapper. Flick the light switch once and the bulb lights up; flick it again and it is just a bug zapper or turn it off. This can all be accomplished while lieing in bed!

Having the wifi repeater on the drop light, which is strapped to the inside of the EZUp roof assures it is located at the highest point in camp while being protected from the elements.
Attached Thumbnails
20170811_182944.jpg   20170811_183013.jpg  

20170811_182936.jpg   20170811_194135.jpg  

20170811_194821.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #26

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Trek

"...was able to reprogram the Amazon Echo to activate and respond using the word "Computer." "

Fantastic. I'm putting one of the kids on this task immediately.

On another note, Please... Tell me about your backup camera...
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:32 PM   #27

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buggeee View Post
"...was able to reprogram the Amazon Echo to activate and respond using the word "Computer." "

Fantastic. I'm putting one of the kids on this task immediately.

On another note, Please... Tell me about your backup camera...
When I installed the backup camera I also installed a 7 pin plug to my camper and use the 12v Aux terminal from the tow vehicle to power my fridge while driving. I was concerned about the fridge draining my SUV's battery so I installed a 30amp relay and breaker for the 12v umbilical that uses the driving lights to switch on the relay to the fridge and my backup camera. If my SUV's running lights are on the fridge is drawing power from the tow. If my SUV's lights are off the fridge is off. I also hooked up the backup camera transmitter to the relay that serves as a reminder to turn the driving lights on when towing. If the screen is not receiving a signal, my refrigerator is off. I placed the transmitter under the front street side couch as it was the closest interior point to the tow vehicle and receiver. Since my SUV provides an audible warning if the lights are kept on with the keys removed, it reminds me to turn the lights off when stopping for a rest.

I also use the tow power to recharge my camper battery but isolate the refrigerator 12v from the camper battery when the running lights are off.

The picture is of my 7 point terminal box with its cover removed. It contains two breakers and the relay. Been working great for years.
Attached Thumbnails
20170725_201710.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #28

Registry
The bed was a wee bit small for us as the cushions extended over the end of the table top. Since we always keep the bed made while camping I decided to replace the table top for now with a longer piece of 3/4 plywood. It worked great and made sleeping so much more comfortable.

It was a relatively quick fix. Just make sure to sand it smooth and round out the edges to save your cushions and shins.
Attached Thumbnails
20170811_222938.jpg   20170811_222801.jpg  

20170811_223427.jpg  
Old 08-11-2017, 08:18 PM   #29

Name: Buggeee
Trailer: Playpac
OH
Nice Flux Capacitor MarkZ. Thank you for the tour. Do you leave the monitor in your tow vehicle or does it pop out when you're not on a trip? Or.... Dare I ask.... Do you have a second camera you leave on the tow vehicle that is turned off by a relay when the aux goes live on the 7 pin (i.e. when the running lights are on, etc). You've got the wheels turning over here now. I'm using relays in my solar set up so the inverter can't be on at the same time as the shore power to the inteli-charger for the 12v. I melted an inverter once because I forgot to unplug one or the other so now the relay will have my back. I'll go browse the wireless backup cameras. Thanks MarkZ.
Buggeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 09:03 PM   #30

Registry
It is a separate monitor from the vehicle's backup system. I have thought about your idea but recently invested in a WIFI transmitter that will work with an android tablet. WIFI should have better range and clarity than the RF transmitter I've been using for quite a while now.

I'll install that in the winter.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:27 PM   #31

Registry
[QUOTE=Buggeee;655765] I'm using relays in my solar set up so the inverter can't be on at the same time as the shore power to the inteli-charger for the 12v. I melted an inverter once because I forgot to unplug one or the other so now the relay will have my back. /QUOTE]

I'm using a 3way switch for that. My WFCO converter pulls 12vdc from the battery when not plugged in and charging it. Accordingly, I do not have a separate charger line to run a relay off of.
In the up position I bypass the solar completely, in the bottom position I tie in the solar controller between the battery and the controller. The middle position serves as my battery disconnect. I also have a second 2 way switch to cut off the panels from the controller. I located the switches together in the tongue box. I only switch "in" the solar when boondocking.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #32

Name: Huw
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Hi Markz,

That is an amazing Boler! That is exactly what I want to do to my boler, even down to the storage box at the front containing electrical/propane.

Did you modify the frame at all? or is it the standard frame?

Lastly, did you build those shelves yourself?

The boler I got was for $250, completely gutted (minus the cabinet by the side door) so I have to build/do everything from scratch. The positive is, I am starting from scratch, as it's already gutted (minus the insulation/wiring).

I'm sure I'll be reaching out to you for some advice! Like when to do the vent, before I paint the outside/re-insulate the inside?

Again, your Boler looks amazing! It has sparked my fire to get mine finished!
hgwilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #33

Registry
Our little USB fan to assist with circulating the A.C.
It works quite well and is a pleasure to sleep with it on in any tempurature. The switch for that 12vdc outlet is located where the factory converter sat.
Attached Thumbnails
20170820_190531.jpg  
Old 08-20-2017, 06:34 PM   #34

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwilliam View Post
Did you modify the frame at all? or is it the standard frame? Lastly, did you build those shelves yourself? ...The boler I got was for $250. When to do the vent, before I paint the outside/re-insulate the inside?
Our Boler frame is factory and in good enough condition that re-framing it can be put off till I'm ready to reimagine the suspension system when I need a new one.

The shelves extend between the factory fiberglass cabinets are held in place with short sections of brake line.

We made them from birch and marine polyurethaned in their natural color. Everything is custom.

I would paint before you put in the roof vent or install any windows... The vent install will not alter your isolation plans as the interior spacer/molding can be trimed as needed.

A gutted $250 Boler is a steal. Congrats on your new blank slate.
Old 07-27-2019, 07:10 PM   #35

Registry
Latest addition to the Boler: a pressurized growler. I just love this thing. Perfectly sized for the counter and my belly. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_202950.jpeg
Views:	71
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	130632
Old 07-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #36

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The colour of a premium ale.
Old 07-28-2019, 06:54 AM   #37

Name: Ron
Trailer: Compact Jr
TX
Kitchen Vent Fan

you have done a beautiful job on your Boler, I will borrow several of your ideas for my Compact Jr.
could you post more info about the kitchen vent fans? It is a super clean install, I want to copy how you built it.

thanks

Ron
basicfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:59 PM   #38

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Newfoundland
really nice job ! what do you have on the walls and ceiling ? Is it marine Hull liner or carpet ? glue it on ?
Keatig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:40 PM   #39

Registry
That's the factory headliner material. I believe you can find similar material at Scamp parts. Thank you for the complement.
Old 09-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #40

Name: Greg
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Newfoundland
Is that hull liner on your ceiling and walls ? Did you put it on over the original foam or glue it right to the fiberglass ?
Keatig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler