AZ 2019, Feb 11-18: Western Winter Blast, Fireworks, Lake Havasu City, AZ - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
2019, Feb 11-18: Western Winter Blast, Fireworks, Lake Havasu City, AZ

I know it is early, but since the camping area usually fills by December and they start filling open sites immediately after July 31, I wanted to post some information about the 2019 Western Winter Blast. It provides a dry campsite (a marked section of a parking lot large enough to include your trailer & tow vehicle and reasonable space between sites) for a week (Monday February 11th to Monday February 18th, 2019) with 4 evenings of fireworks, both individual samples & shows for 4 hours, Thursday - Sunday. This is the week after the Dome Rock Fiberglass Rally.

Cost is a non refundable donation to the Rodeo of $150.00 for the week, plus $25.00 if you want to add the three barbecue dinners. They will try to get us together as a group if you put "Fiberglass" in the group field when registering. More information & registration is at Havasu Rodeo & Events.

I have a journal that includes links to lots of photos the event starting here.

Hope to see those interested at the event!
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Fireworks !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Vermilye View Post
I know it is early, but since the camping area usually fills by December and they start filling open sites immediately after July 31, I wanted to post some information about the 2019 Western Winter Blast. It provides a dry campsite (a marked section of a parking lot large enough to include your trailer & tow vehicle and reasonable space between sites) for a week (Monday February 11th to Monday February 18th, 2019) with 4 evenings of fireworks, both individual samples & shows for 4 hours, Thursday - Sunday. This is the week after the Dome Rock Fiberglass Rally.

Cost is a non refundable donation to the Rodeo of $150.00 for the week, plus $25.00 if you want to add the three barbecue dinners. They will try to get us together as a group if you put "Fiberglass" in the group field when registering. More information & registration is at Havasu Rodeo & Events.

I have a journal that includes links to lots of photos the event starting here.

Hope to see those interested at the event!
__________________________________________________ ___________

John, we talked about the fireworks show when we were in Quartzsite : I'm glad you got to go. I was there 2-3 years ago and it is an amazing spectacle ! Not only new and innovative fireworks, but SO Close ! And a note for those who may not want to stay so long, or be so close. You can park across the highway on the BLM land for free, and I think walking in to the Rodeo Grounds is free. An amazing show, and seldom seen in any other locale ! David in Fresno and Sonora, CA
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Chris and I enjoyed this event this year. By coincidence we were John's next door neighbor. We have it on our calender for 2019. Hope to see you there!
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:23 AM   #4

New York
Registry
Just an update on attendees at the show. We have 5 trailers signed up for the week long Winter Blast the week after the Quartzsite Rally. Check the beginning of the thread for information. If you want to camp near the group, don't forget to put "Fiberglass" in the group field during registration.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:10 PM   #5

Name: Eloise
Trailer: Casita Spirit
Arkansas
State abbreviation

Just an FYI. You have an AR tag on this thread but the event takes place in Arizona. You're missing all those people who filter by AZ.

Eloise, the over-helpful
Ello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #6

New York
Registry
While I don't remember doing it, I must have hit the wrong state when I posted the original thread. I can't find a way to change it; maybe an administrator?
Old 06-27-2018, 08:25 AM   #7

Name: Dan
Trailer: 2017 Bigfoot 25B25RQ
California
Hi John,

We are signed up. I think we went for the same site as last year. Being at the end of the row was nice, and it was an easy walk up to the spot we were at to watch/photograph the fireworks.
DeadEyeDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:58 AM   #8

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeDan View Post
Hi John,

We are signed up. I think we went for the same site as last year. Being at the end of the row was nice, and it was an easy walk up to the spot we were at to watch/photograph the fireworks.
I hope we are in the same area. See you at Quartzsite or the fireworks! I'm also doing Matagorda Madness the end of November...
Old 06-27-2018, 09:41 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Fireworks

Quote:
I hope we are in the same area. See you at Quartzsite or the fireworks! I'm also doing Matagorda Madness the end of November...

Jon, and others :

I don't know how this possibly came up, but I possibly mentioned Quartzsite to my Dermatologist in Fresno. He told me about the Fireworks he makes and the Havasu display where he participates every year ! He belongs to a Pyrotechnics group but there are few places close enough to fire them off. He was really enthusiastic about fireworks and makes the large canisters and rockets. I thought the display was all professionals, but I guess you can be a Dr and still a Pyrotechnics expert. Maybe some of the other people shooting off fireworks there are Butchers, Bakers, candlestick makers, Gynecologists and Librarians ? David in Fresno and Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:47 AM   #10

New York
Registry
I'm sure there is a mix of amateurs & professionals at Havasu. I saw some shells that I've never seen before, some wonderful, and some "interesting". Well worth a visit, whether you do the entire week or just hit the BLM area for a night or two.
Old 10-21-2018, 07:42 AM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
FWIW, I checked this morning and the camping is sold out.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

New York
Registry
For those interested in seeing the fireworks, but didn't get into the rodeo grounds, there is a BLM dispersed area across AZ 95 from the section of the park where the fireworks are held. It is actually closer to the launch site than the rodeo grounds, but fills quickly. Worth a try!
Old 01-03-2019, 03:15 PM   #13

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Havasu Western Winter Blast

A couple of quick questions for those of you who have attended the Havasu Western Winter Blast in the past. Are the meals offered worth the price? Are they good or should we plan on preparing our own? Are the Rodeo Grounds dog friendly? Is there room to set up solar? What other "need to know" info can you offer to a first timer?
How far away is the closest dump station?
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 05:56 PM   #14

New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
A couple of quick questions for those of you who have attended the Havasu Western Winter Blast in the past. Are the meals offered worth the price? Are they good or should we plan on preparing our own?
Probably not, but it is a large gathering of participants, along with too loud music. Most seem to enjoy them, and it saves going out of the park or making your own.

Quote:
Are the Rodeo Grounds dog friendly?
They allow dogs, must be on a leash. There are probably areas in the park for walking, but since I don't have a dog, I didn't look for them.

Quote:
Is there room to set up solar?
No problem with portable, and no shade, so roof top will be OK.

Quote:
What other "need to know" info can you offer to a first timer?
If you arrive early, there will be a long line from both directions into the park. I had an hour wait in a slow moving line.

Quote:
How far away is the closest dump station?
No idea - I dumped back in the Quartzsite LTVA on the way back east since I had a season ticket.

By the way, if you don't already have a reservation it is sold out. There are cancelations, so you can ask to be put on standby.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
Quote:
By the way, if you don't already have a reservation it is sold out. There are cancelations, so you can ask to be put on standby.
I was on the list and was called. The Rodeo grounds do not give refunds they give people who want to cancel the list of names of people who want a spot. It is up to the two parties to figure out the compensation.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2019, fireworks, havasu