Oliver - Is this a scam? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 05:04 PM   #1

Name: Diane
Trailer: In the market
California
Oliver - Is this a scam?

Is this a scam? 'Oliver' is not listed in the title, and only one picture.
Search Craigslist, San Luis Obispo, CA. RVs and search for CUSTOM TRAVEL TRAILER;; Look for the Oliver, Could it be stolen? Thanks.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:45 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I see four or five pictures. I'm guessing real, not scam. Anything can be stolen, cars, stereos, bicycles, guns, RVs. Look for a good title and go from there.

I find most scams have way low prices, on an Oliver more like $10,000 or less. This one has identified model well.

Interior pictures look straight from a catalog. Obviously staged, not lived in. Now some legit sellers will use catalog pictures. I'd ask seller for outside pictures from the drive side. Maybe one in front of their house.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Here's the ad:
https://slo.craigslist.org/rvs/d/201...608530726.html

Seems legit to me. Price is within normal market range. Pictures don't appear unusual or suspicious, and a google search on one image didn't turn up any matches. Lighting and staging do not appear professional to me, just good ordinary snapshots of a cleaned up trailer.

Anything is possible, of course, but no more than the usual caution involving a private party purchase seems warranted.
Old 06-07-2018, 05:55 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachFeet View Post
Is this a scam? 'Oliver' is not listed in the title, and only one picture.
///.

Seller must have heard ya.. now the ad has five photos and it says 2016 Oliver Legacy Elite II

Looks nice but 60K is sure out of my comfort zone for a RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Oliver.jpg  
Old 06-07-2018, 08:12 PM   #5

Name: Mike
Trailer: Oliver Elite II
Boerne, Texas
I don’t think this is a scam. It’s an Oliver and I have seen pictures of this this tow vehicle/trailer and posts by the owners on the Oliver Forums. Seems to me that this trailer was for sale a year or so ago so it could be second owners.
Mike
2016 Oliver Elite II #135 | 2020 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Old 06-07-2018, 08:39 PM   #6

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
I know this trailer and the owner. They are the original owners.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I was thinking that at $59K, it sure doesnt sound like a scam(p).
Old 06-08-2018, 10:04 AM   #8

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
How will the owner accept payment? If cash only and will only transact in a Walmart parking lot you may want to be a bit careful...just sayin'.

Also I wonder if the current owner has title to it or is the title being held by a bank...

Wonder why they are selling it....be sure to do a careful and full inspection. I have found that pictures and descriptions can be deceiving.
Old 06-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #9

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
OP: Why do you think it might be a scam?

I don't understand, it looks pretty legit to me. Of course if you are a potential buyer you must do your due diligence, and anything said here is not really relevant. If you can't tell a scam from a legit transaction, take a knowledgeable friend with you to inspect the trailer.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #10

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post

I don't understand, it looks pretty legit to me. ..
In case he does not answer.. as I understand it, the ad did not list the make, and only had one photo when he looked at it. And perhaps it was different in other ways also. I am guessing the ad was a work in progress and once it was completed it appears much more legitimate.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:26 PM   #11

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Probably this ^^^

Most scams are based on human greed, the desire to get something for nothing or close to it. Ponzi schemes, pyramid schemes, the Nigerian scheme and many more work this way. It’s the old if it sounds too good to be true then that’s what it is.

Without greed none of them work. In this case the price is just about right, FMV. If it was s $5k it would be a scam for sure.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:07 PM   #12

Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
In case he does not answer.. as I understand it, the ad did not list the make, and only had one photo when he looked at it. And perhaps it was different in other ways also. I am guessing the ad was a work in progress and once it was completed it appears much more legitimate.
You may be right... and that would be a sign of a stupid seller, not a scammer.

Maybe our schools should be teaching students how to create a good ad on craigslist and how to make a good yard sale sign.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:20 PM   #13

North Carolina
Quote:
You may be right... and that would be a sign of a stupid seller, not a scammer.

Well that is a little harsh and judgmental. I know when I make a CL ad, the first photo to be uploaded is "featured." So what I do it upload the primary photo first, then go back and upload the rest. So if someone saw the ad before I uploaded the rest, they would only see the one photo. Perhaps the poster was interrupted in the process by his / her children or some urgent event. And perhaps he forgot to list the make and added it later. We just don't know.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:35 PM   #14

Redding, California
Registry
I see what your're saying.

I see what your're saying. Sorry for being judgmental.

I sell a lot on ebay (1,194, 100% positive feedback) and I just sold my Model A Ford on craigslist. I get all my photos optimized in a folder before I ever go to the site I'm selling on. I also get all my text sorted out using a word processor, so when it's time to create my ad on either site I just have to paste in my text (and on ebay maybe tweak the fonts). Then I upload all my photos and make the ad live. On craigslist the first photo you choose becomes the featured photo, just as you said, but you don't have to make it live before choosing the rest of your photos. With ebay you can choose all your photos and change the order they will display before making your ad live.

If I were selling a $60K item, I would sure try my best to be prepared before making an ad live, but you do frequently see sellers putting ads online with horrible out-of-focus photos, and one line of text describing what they are trying to sell.

I have to admit, it can actually be an advantage for buyers. About 17 years ago I saw an ad on ebay for a 1968 XKE Jaguar. He had 2 tiny horrible photos and not much description. The auction was getting no bids. I emailed him and got more and better photos, and did a buy-it-now. I had that car for 15 years and tripled my money when I sold it on ebay. If he'd put up the best photos he had, it probably would have gotten some bids, and maybe been bid out of my price range.

I guess calling a seller stupid is harsh, but he possibly could have made more money by putting up a better ad. When I look at an ad that has lousy photos and a poor description, it is extremely unlikely that I would click on that ad again.

So it guess it cuts both ways.

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
xke_4me2.jpg   1930 Model A.JPG  

Old 06-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #15

North Carolina
Quote:
I...
If I were selling a $60K item, I would sure try my best to be prepared before making an ad live,...
I'll go even further.. if I was selling a $60,000 item, I would seek out help if needed to make an ad that would get top dollar. Either a skilled amateur or a professional. I recently saw an ad for another high end camper that included a well done video tour. It really showed off the camper. When I sell a home, I sure as heck hire an expert, even at 6% commission. But who knows what the situation is here. It sure looks like a very nice rig and if I were a multi-millionaire I would look into it.

PS.. I also have 100% feedback on eBay, but about one tenth the sales.
Closed Thread

Tags
oliver