bike rack on back of Casita - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #21

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
What is this thing you talk about "a hitch pin that stops rattles"? Can you provide a link to this? I've never heard of them before, thanks.
Panoz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:15 AM   #22

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panoz77 View Post
What is this thing you talk about "a hitch pin that stops rattles"? Can you provide a link to this? I've never heard of them before, thanks.
Here is one example of many similar devices which tighten the ballbar prevent rattles...

Versahaul VH-070HD hitch stabilizer, tightener

there's another on this page, as well as the actual anti rattle spring loaded hitch pin....

http://www.hitchcorner.com/pintle_hooks.htm#anti-rattle
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #23

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Ok, humor a newb. I understand, vaguely, "tongue weight", but don't know enough to be sure. I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier with a Class 3 hitch, so not a monster truck but fairly big. My camper is a 1991 13' Scamp. Is tongue weight something I'd need to worry about if I add an ~50 lb bike rack with ~60 lbs of of bikes on it, using that dual hitch thingamabob?
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 10:34 AM   #24

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Ok, humor a newb. I understand, vaguely, "tongue weight", but don't know enough to be sure. I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier with a Class 3 hitch, so not a monster truck but fairly big. My camper is a 1991 13' Scamp. Is tongue weight something I'd need to worry about if I add an ~50 lb bike rack with ~60 lbs of of bikes on it, using that dual hitch thingamabob?
It is highly unlikely to cause a problem with your set-up.
Here is a detailed response on the subject as it relates to my 13 Scamp and a ClassIII Hitch on my Ranger.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...y-47613-3.html
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #25

Colorado
Thanks Floyd, good to know that I don't need to worry about that. I'm going to look into one of those hitches!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #26

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Thanks Floyd, good to know that I don't need to worry about that. I'm going to look into one of those hitches!
One point ... the closer the ball is to the rear axle, the better in terms of towing and handling, so you might see some change...
Probably negligible.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #27

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another thing is the capacity of your receiver is cut by 50% when you use one of those adapters. I recall that a 500# hitch with one of those double receivers reduced each receiver to 250 lbs, thus your t/w capacity is reduced by 50%. Between vehicle and hitch and receiver and tongue and wheel calculations, it is getting more complicated to have fun!
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:10 AM   #28

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Another thing is the capacity of your receiver is cut by 50% when you use one of those adapters. I recall that a 500# hitch with one of those double receivers reduced each receiver to 250 lbs, thus your t/w capacity is reduced by 50%. Between vehicle and hitch and receiver and tongue and wheel calculations, it is getting more complicated to have fun!
Are we discussing something like this...

Curt 45810 Multi-Purpose Ball Mount

Do you think that applies ....I don't see it.. of course it's not really an adapter, it's just a ballbar with an attachment.
Of course the total capacity would not be increased, and the weight of bike rack and bikes would need to be counted. IMHO...That top thing is not really a second receiver and should not be treated as such, Quote....Caution: Top receiver tube not intended for towing use (bike racks only).
Attached Images

Old 08-02-2011, 11:27 AM   #29

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Are we discussing something like this...

Curt 45810 Multi-Purpose Ball Mount

Do you think that applies ....I don't see it.. of course it's not really an adapter, it's just a ballbar with an attachment.
Of course the total capacity would not be increased, and the weight of bike rack and bikes would need to be counted. IMHO...That top thing is not really a second receiver and should not be treated as such, Quote....Caution: Top receiver tube not intended for towing use (bike racks only).
yes,that is what I'm referring to, by putting 100 lbs on the upper reduces the lower by almost double. As soon as I can find the specs I'll post them
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 11:41 AM   #30

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
yes,that is what I'm referring to, by putting 100 lbs on the upper reduces the lower by almost double. As soon as I can find the specs I'll post them
Thanks, that would prove valuable information. I don't yet see how it would be different from weight on the tongue itself except for the leverage applied by being longer, like those extensions used to get past a spare tire would reduce overall weight capacity... the longer the more leverage
I'm always willing to learn something new.

Here's another one which only requires 3" of exposed bar,and it has no additional receiver welded on, the weight is still in about the same location though( maybe a little closer to the hitch which would reduce leverage. That leverage being the thing which adds credence to your point, but still the numbers seem exaggerated.
Still, if you think about how many bike racks are found along the road, broken off the back of RVs, the leverage must be considered as well as simply the weight.
Swagman 64600 Towing Hitch Mount Bike Rack
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #31

Colorado
I'm not sure I understand any of what y'all are saying , but given that they make these items and my camper isn't very heavy, it doesn't seem like I'd have any issues. If I did, it would seem like most people would, and the item wouldn't be worth selling. Right?
Old 09-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #32

Name: Claire
Trailer: currently shopping
Virginia
Carrying Bikes on a Casita

I know this is an old thread but it's my problem. I want to carry a bike and Jonathan at Casita told me not to use the Curt dual hitch which seemed like the perfect answer to me. He said put one on the bumper and I could get it at Walmart. Really? That seems not substantial enough. Has anyone used the multi purpose mount with success on a Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 or do you have additional ideas this long after the original thread??
Claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #33

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
If you're talking about the dual hitch receiver thing, upper part for the bike rack, lower for the ball mount, I would say don't use it as it decreases the load capacity of the tow vehicles hitch by 50%. This info is from etrailer web site. If I was to put a bike rack on the rear I would install a good 2" receiver like the one sold by Orbital Machine. My solution to carry bikes is in the bed of my pickup, but not everyone has a truck. I have used a rear rack on our Uhaul camper with fairly good results using a rack that is rated for such use. Many racks are not intended for use on the rear of a trailer
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:45 PM   #34

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
An outfit called Perfect Casita makes a bolt-on frame hitch designed specifically for 17' Casitas. It mounts under the rear of the trailer between the main frame rails. It has a standard 2" receiver tube.

Link: Casita Hitch Receiver

Casita 17 footers are known for being "nose heavy" so the added weight shouldn't be a problem. I have a Stow-Away roto-molded storage box on the back of my trailer, which makes for a handy storage locker. It weighs about 50 Lbs. empty, and I have it full of stuff. I'm 240 lbs, and I even stand on it to wash the trailer roof. Even with all the stuff in it and me on it I'll bet you still couldn't lift my front hitch off the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0003_4 (Small).JPG   small_IMG_0004.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 07:13 PM   #35

Name: Carter
Trailer: Casita Picked up 12/2016
TN
In addition to the frame hitch

We all have an opinion of course. I like the Perfect Casita solution by Greg and I went with that solution. I also added another component from Perfect Casita -- the tire carrier.

I didn't want a hole in the Casita that I'm going to pick up soon.
Old 09-17-2016, 05:42 AM   #36

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
I could be wrong but would think this dual receiver would not reduce tow capacipy because its 1 piece and you dont slide another trailer hitch into it?

MaxxTow Ball Mount w/ 2" Accessory Receiver - 2" Hitches - 1-5/8" Drop - 5,000 lbs MaxxTow Ball Mounts MT70066

Also, you could trim it shorter and drill a new hole to bring it closer to the TV.

Just a thought......

EDIT:

Oooooppppssss sorry guys. I just saw this was discussed.

EDIT AGAIN: I had the perfect Casita receiver on my Casita 17 and it worked great!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:42 AM   #37

New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWScarab View Post
I could be wrong but would think this dual receiver would not reduce tow capacipy because its 1 piece and you dont slide another trailer hitch into it?
Leverage effect is what reduces HITCH CAPACITY
Old 09-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #38

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Got ha. That makes sense. I was thinking towing capacity. Thank you!

I really like that hitch but when I get to camp I'd rather have the bikes locked to rv and not restrict access to back of truck. This is why I'm leaning towards a mount on back of egg if I can counterbalance with more weight up front. I guess each person finds their preferred setup. Lots of options!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:53 AM   #39

New York
I actually have one of those double hitch things. Didn't even like it towing our teardrop that only weighs 700 lb. Never used it again. I like the type bike rack where the wheels set in loops or on a tray and a hook slides over the top frame of the bike. I think they have less stress on the hitch than the type where the bike hangs. I have one made by Swagman that is rated for on the rear of a trailer. Adapted it for on the tongue of the teardrop, also used it on the rear of the Uhaul
Old 09-02-2021, 02:49 PM   #40

Name: Dolores
Trailer: Scamp
California
Which make bike rack do you use? We need to support 2 heavy ebike.
WanderingWoods is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita