Ventura Rebuild - Any Tips? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2015, 12:46 PM   #1

Name: T and K
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
Ventura Rebuild - Any Tips?

Going to be starting our mid 70's 13' Ventura rebuild and was wondering any anyone wanted to highlight their top tips or have any "golden" pieces of advice.

We are planning on taking the trailer down to the "bare bones" so if anything needs to be done, now is the time to do it.

I've been hanging around the forums for a few months and I have read most of the other Ventura rebuild threads in detail so I'll try to not ask anything that has already been answered. Usually though after doing a rebuild there is at least one or two things that stick out as having been either lightbulb moments, big problems that were encountered, or even things you did not do during the rebuild that you wish afterwards that you had... those are what I am hoping to pick your brains for.

Thanks in advance - you guys seem like an awesome group and I'm pretty stoked to start the rebuild on our first family trailer.
Tyler
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 04:50 PM   #2

Name: Totie Fan
Trailer: Tote N Tarry
West Coast
Make Categories and Stick To It

My advice, for what it's worth...
make categories and sublists, and don't move to the other category until you're done with the first.
Like: Chassis, Foundation, Electrical, Water, Gas, Environmental, Exterior, Decoration...etc.
Tote-n-Tarry No.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:19 PM   #3

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote-n-Tarry No.2 View Post
My advice, for what it's worth...
make categories and sublists, and don't move to the other category until you're done with the first.
Like: Chassis, Foundation, Electrical, Water, Gas, Environmental, Exterior, Decoration...etc.
That's pretty good advice, having started the demolition today I can easily see how without clear lists it would be very easy to bounce around from thing to thing without any clear direction!
Old 03-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #4

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Congratulations on the Ventura, they are a great wee trailer. I love the way it is possible to completely redo the interior without having bits of solid fibreglass to work around (cupboards, walls etc.) Unfortunately I don't have the skills to do that type of work - and hubby wasn't interested - so our Ventura moved on to a new owner.
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
How about taking us on a photo tour of your Ventura as you ask the questions. We love to see photos, and a photo always helps to clarify what you are explaining.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:51 AM   #6

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Congratulations on the Ventura, they are a great wee trailer. I love the way it is possible to completely redo the interior without having bits of solid fibreglass to work around (cupboards, walls etc.) Unfortunately I don't have the skills to do that type of work - and hubby wasn't interested - so our Ventura moved on to a new owner.
Thanks Hazel, it looks like it's going to be a fun project - sorry you had to pass yours along but hopefully the new family will get many fun memories in it!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #7

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
How about taking us on a photo tour of your Ventura as you ask the questions. We love to see photos, and a photo always helps to clarify what you are explaining.
Going to try to load up some pics today! Found a few surprises in the demolition (aren't there always) but these made us laugh!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #8

British Columbia
Okay, here are some pics of the original condition. The pics do not show how bad the inside was... orange shag carpet under the table, "baby diaper" brown painted sloppy over a light purple painted over the original wall panelling, overhead light installed so that you could not open the tall tower, floor a bit soft, and some water damage on the headliner, wall panels and floor.

As you can see this is the model with the bunk/couch at the front end. Would have loved to have a potty in it but we need the space for our 4 year old to sleep so going to have to wait on the toilet for when we upgrade so something bigger.
Attached Thumbnails
11076830_10153216172106908_544151567_n.jpg   11084530_10153216171701908_1574831404_n.jpg  

Trailer.jpg   11075190_10153216172026908_182931415_n.jpg  

Old 03-24-2015, 10:00 AM   #9

British Columbia
Here are a few shots from the demo... most of it down to the fiberglass now - just have to remove the sink/stove cabinet yet.

Some of the pics are bad cause we had to tarp it halfway through due to rain and the reduced light and blue hue weren't working with the camera.

Still sad it didn't have a potty........
Attached Thumbnails
11081796_10153216169101908_398346840_n.jpg   11077908_10153216169531908_1560410176_n.jpg  

image11.jpg   11064005_10153216169966908_1536828944_o.jpg  

Old 03-24-2015, 10:07 AM   #10

British Columbia
BUT WAIT! WHAT'S THIS?1?

A POTTY????
Attached Thumbnails
image12.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #11

British Columbia
Looks like this was actually at one time fitted with the small bathroom option and what we thought was a bad repair of the front bench was in actual fact a bad build of an approximation of the front bench! Surprises around every corner
Old 03-25-2015, 09:43 AM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
That was added on after, should have had a second framework like the one to the left and the center portion was were the portapotty was thus the fiberglass tub. Be careful of the floor as it is actually glassed into the fiberglass bottom and is a real pain to replace. I had some rot that I repaired with a dry rot solution. I had to replace the cabinet floor under the fridge due to water from the fridge vent. Your stringers look good , I would reseal all the windows with butyl tape.

If you need any advise , ask away. I sold my ventura last year but went down the same path as yours about 5 years ago.

Dave
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 11:21 AM   #13

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
That was added on after, should have had a second framework like the one to the left and the center portion was were the portapotty was thus the fiberglass tub.
So it was actually a bench layout that had a potty added to it that then was turned back into a bench layout...? Man this ol' girls been around the block!

Going to take a closer look today at what kind of damage we are looking at up at that area, will take pictures and report back! (Probably with lots and lots of questions )
Old 03-25-2015, 11:53 AM   #14

Alberta
Registry
Here is my link to my rebuild, if you look at the 2nd page you will see the layout of the front bench
76 ventura

ALL ventura threads
Old 03-25-2015, 12:23 PM   #15

Name: william
Trailer: 1978 venture
California
Cool have a 78 ventura myself that i rebuilt myself

I did the work with my wife but did'nt have a great forum like this back then for help. I have alot of original parts in like new condition left over that are yours if you need them. I may have something you cannot find. Would love to help in anyway. I am in central california and can ship to you if need be. Anyways we wish you the best of luck and hope to see you on the road soon.
shuestime01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:49 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Here is my link to my rebuild, if you look at the 2nd page you will see the layout of the front bench
76 ventura

ALL ventura threads
I gotta tell you your rebuild was such an inspiration when we were first looing at buying a Ventura, the woodworking you did is just awesome. I see what you mean by the separated bench at the back there. I'm really curious to take a closer look at what they did to mine... Pulling up the material that was used as the front of the bench showed that they had used a staple gun to attach it and ended up stapling through the fiberglass the whole way along <_< so who knows what other great ideas they had along the way...
Old 08-18-2015, 12:30 PM   #17

British Columbia
Dudley, question about the belly band if you may... We have it off and have cleaned it all up, just wondering if you think we are best to do the work and glass the two halves together or if they should stay apart (for flex/movement). Don't want to have to go down this road again so thinking that if just glassing it up is the more permanent solution we'd put in the time and effort and just get it done. Would really appreciate your input on that - I know you've got a background in Ventura!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:47 PM   #18

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You can also name your Ventura "Highway", it was a great song by America...LOL

I drive it often when going to the beaches @ Buenaventura... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:43 PM   #19

Alberta
Registry
If the band is off , I would fiberglass the two halves together, Some folks have found a lot of rotten wood caused by the band leaking. I didn't do mine but the wood inside was solid. If I had known what was behind it , I would have glassed it for sure.
Some of the Trillium owners have glassed and removed the band completely, which is what I would lean towards.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:05 PM   #20

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
You can also name your Ventura "Highway", it was a great song by America...LOL

I drive it often when going to the beaches @ Buenaventura... LOL
Haha that's great!

Tags