FRP Panels for Ventural Walls? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2015, 10:22 AM   #1

Name: T and K
Trailer: Ventura
British Columbia
FRP Panels for Ventural Walls?

Hi all, I'm trying to decide on the best material to use when replacing the wall panels in my 70's Ventura. It originally had the "wood look" wall panelling and that had some water damage and a couple *bad* paint jobs. What are your thoughts on the best material to use. I want it to be easy to install, clean and maintain.

The original material was no thicker than 1/8's inch over regular fiberglass insulation so I don't think I need to go thicker than 1/8's inch myself, and we are planning on using rigid 1/2inch insulation boards so that would reduce the amount of available give and bend if the material is pushed on as the insulation would sit pretty flush with the stringers and support wood.

What do you think about this...
4 ft. x 8 ft. White .090 FRP Wall Board-MFTF12IXA480009600 - The Home Depot

Looks easy to cut, clean, maintain and install.

Do you think it would have condensation problems though? We are in the Pacific Northwest and it's quite "damp" up here".

What would you use?
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
The 1/2" of insulation should take care of the condensation. FRP would be an excellent replacement for wood paneling.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #3

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
Good choice!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #4

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Good choice!
Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
The 1/2" of insulation should take care of the condensation. FRP would be an excellent replacement for wood paneling.
I thought so too but I searched it on this forum (and other areas online) and came up with next to nothing trying to find someone else that had successfully used the material for this application... wasn't sure if I was missing some really obvious reason as to why it wouldn't be a good idea.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:42 AM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I plan on using FRP over foam if I can't salvage the Ensolite on the roof of my Trillium 1300 that I call Humpty Dumpty.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
I have made a new wall for my new front bath using FRP from Lowe's laminated with 1/2" blue foam and 1/8" ply on the closet side. The resulting laminated wall is pretty stiff and light.
I plan to use FRP for all of the new walls I am building for the bath setup.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 10:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

I have used FRP from Home Depot in the "Ceramic Tile" pattern as the floor surface in my Compact Jr. restoration. The standard in-stock off-the-shelf stuff is twice as heavy as sheet vinyl flooring and very stiff. As the Ventura walls are flat, the stiffness may not be a problem, But I would look for FRP that is paper thin due to the weight.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:54 AM   #9

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
.030" aluminum for the inside walls. A guy that bought my sisters FG trailer did that. It looked good. Easy to wash. An airstream on the inside, FG on the out side.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
I think it would work well. I was a little worried about the weight but at 20 lbs / panel that wouldn't be too bad. You will probably need about 5-6 panels. When you have the panels off , rewire your marker lights and maybe some new LED taillights and make sure you have good mount points for your cabinets (now is the time). Watch for rotten wood stringers and check the roof stringers for cracks and reinforce them ( I screwed some arched 3/4" aluminum tubing to the sides of them) . A bit of planning now will save you a lot of grief in the future( I forgot to run power for my stereo to the above bed cabinet). Ventura's are pretty easy to redo with those nice straight walls and they go together pretty quick
Good Luck and post pictures of the rebuild
Dave
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #11

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
The only issue to me would be the Stark white color. I like white but not all bright white. You may want to take a piece of scrap and hit it with a heat gun and see if it conforms to a shape you might need to bend to. This could be advantages if you need to shape it for some difficult spots. With the panel edge trimmings for this stuff it should make it easier to get a professional look.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 01:22 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
stuff does come in a variety of colors but I do agree, all white would be pretty bright, maybe white ceiling and tan walls. But Its up to the owner as to what he wants for the interior. As to bending the stuff, the ventura has no real curves in it at all, just some weird angles to deal with. Keep the original panels if possible to use as templates for cutting the new panels.
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:14 PM   #13

British Columbia
Yeah I was worried about the weight too but the panels seem to only be about 1-2 pounds heavier than a panel of that "wood" paneling it originally was manufactured with.

We had taken a look at some other available colors but white was cheaper and was not a special order, so with wood vinyl flooring, wood stained cabinets and a darkish fabric to cover the seats at the front and back and curtains it shouldn't look to "white padded room" hopefully.

I think I had gotten the idea to reinforce the stringers with 3/4" aluminum tubing from one of your other threads, David - that one is def on the to-do list!
Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I used FRP on the ceiling of the Compact Jr 5 years ago. It still looks new.
Old 03-25-2015, 07:04 PM   #15

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Trostel View Post
I used FRP on the ceiling of the Compact Jr 5 years ago. It still looks new.
Would you consider doing it on the walls, Tom?
Old 03-25-2015, 07:09 PM   #16

British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T H View Post
.030" aluminum for the inside walls. A guy that bought my sisters FG trailer did that. It looked good. Easy to wash. An airstream on the inside, FG on the out side.
That would looks pretty slick but just thinking about the amount of windex my wife would use to keep every smudge and fingerprint off
Old 03-25-2015, 08:26 PM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Yes, as long as I could get it to conform to the curves. I notice FRP on the walls of public restrooms, so you know it's tough.

Tags
ventura