Scamp roof A/C can cause a leak. - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2016, 09:18 PM   #21

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp
Hidden source of a leak

Another "hidden" leak spot to add here. I have a 2003 16' Scamp. Found a rotten spot underneath on curbside rear. On the outside of the Scamp, there's a 110v external 2 socket recep. Flat recep. cover on curved surface of unit. Yep, recep. seal deteriorated and water coming in and puddling on floor behind internal water storage tank. Totally out of sight !!! Would never have known if I'd not inspected carefully from underneath.
Check it out.
jhornsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 09:07 AM   #22

Name: Corky
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16ft.
Illinois
Yes campers leak. The June 2016 Trailer Life page 52 has a article on roof leaking and a repair that should stop it. The Co. is in Fl.. I feel this system would stop screw leaks in the fiber glass maybe.
Courtland PieperCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:16 PM   #23

Name: amy
Trailer: scamp 13
ME
Thank you so much for this post Gordon. I have a year older Scamp than you but the same AC.

How did you take off the turning switches? I am trying to take off the under cover to tighten the bolts but can't take the switch off...
Do I just pull REALLY hard? I'm afraid I would bust something. There's also a lever that you go up and down do I just yank that off also?

Mine was screwed with 4 screws and the 2 bolt instead of 2 that you mentioned so mine is more prone to leakage I suppose

I just came across this post and when I did a trial run months ago I had a little bit of leakage but I am assuming it's condensation because it is not leaking while rain. I'm covering the tongue and 3 tires but not covering the Scamp itself for now.
amy in maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:57 PM   #24

ME
Ok, I went out and it was dangling from 1 switch and the other was on the floor so I yanked it all off lol!!

The front bolts were soooo loose. I tighten it to make it snug.
I only have the feet torque wrench do I need to buy an inch torque?
Would this snug be adequate enough?

Can't believe it was that loose and nothing leaked if I was a little late it may have leaked all over the place

Now I'm scared to screw the screws back in I think I'm going to just put 2 screws in and the 2 bolts just like you so there's 50% chance of drilling it through the fiberglass...

Also, you said your screws were an inch long, mine were 3/4, I wonder if Scamp changed their screws at some point, or they didn't have it nearby and just used the inch screws on yours?? If that's the case I'm thinking that's why some people's Scamps go through and have leaks and some people's don't?

Should I go and get 1/2 inch screws and screw it in instead though? Hmmm...
Old 07-01-2018, 11:09 AM   #25

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I guess since most every Scamp has the screws in the ceiling and dont leak, that is an OK way to do it IF YOU ARE CAREFUL. But I have to admit, I like the way I glassed in some wood in the ceiling and screwed into the wood instead of the fiberglass. Of course the VanAir vent in the bathroom still has many screws in the fiberglass ceiling, but they are the area there sealed with Butyl.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 11:46 AM   #26

ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
I guess since most every Scamp has the screws in the ceiling and dont leak, that is an OK way to do it IF YOU ARE CAREFUL. But I have to admit, I like the way I glassed in some wood in the ceiling and screwed into the wood instead of the fiberglass. Of course the VanAir vent in the bathroom still has many screws in the fiberglass ceiling, but they are the area there sealed with Butyl.
I would if I was going to keep the AC but I'm still aiming to swap it out to the fan

Although a RV mechanic told me to fill the AC hole and cut out another hole in the front and put the fan there! So it'll be more efficient. I get it, the 2 fans will be too closed to each other but Yeah...NO
Old 05-20-2020, 07:03 PM   #27

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Our first trip out with our 16. Ran into heavy rain near Billings. Parked for the night and noticed some drips from the ac. Popped open the air filter and found dampness at one of the screws that is aft. Insulation is wet, looks like water got in between the layers. I’ll study this in detail when we return home.
Attached Thumbnails
56F32FAC-AD1B-4B99-9A2D-5E72071C31D9.jpg  
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:26 PM   #28

North Carolina
If you are lucky the bolts are just a little loose and the seal is not sealing. I would snug up the bolts and see if that cures it. If it does not, be advised that it was hard as heck for me to see any evidence of the air distribution box screws going through the shell under the A/C, until I lifted the A/C off the roof a little.
For anyone else.. the bolt(s) are in the metal cross frame in the above photo.. the air box screw in the photo is in the corner of the white plastic.
Old 05-20-2020, 08:47 PM   #29

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
I read your original post explaining your fix. I’ll start with re-torquing the bolts but I suspect I’ve got the same issue you had. Fortunately I own some Bondo fiberglass resin, so glassing in some small wood blocks isn’t too big a deal for me. I am a bit disappointed by some of the corners they cut, but overall I’m happy with the decision we made. And I’m very grateful for all of you have posted your solutions on line in forums like this.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 06:45 PM   #30

North Carolina
While this is not a common leak here is another case of exactly the same thing:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...air-96635.html

Tags
scamp