Rock guard or similar . - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2017, 01:56 PM   #21

Name: Dana
Trailer: Boler 1300
California
I was thinking hauling mine to the spray in bed liner place, taping it off and spray it on....
DanaSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 03:03 PM   #22

Name: Francois
Trailer: Bigfoot
British Columbia
Registry
GlassSleeper...

as long as you're getting a box made....maybe change the design to one that will cover the whole front....a bigger box or "wings" extending on either side (wider back panel)....just another thought
Franswa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:00 PM   #23

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
Thumbs up

Thank you so much for including photos, MAP56 - I think that looks great! Is it difficult to clean? Do you find that it is holding up well to rocks and washing the trailer after road trips? Thanks again for sharing your experiences. Nice trailer, BTW!

Thank you all for your responses. I am going to go with roll-on or gun sprayed protectant, as the canned spray-ons (even of the same brand) don't have as high a durability rating from users, according to the online reviews. Still unsure if I will go with off-white, gray or black. The photos have been helpful and they all look really nice!

Nice thinking Franswa, but the custom box is so damned expensive as it is that I don't dare ask the fabricator to do anything more... or he'll add on another several hundred to it and it is already way over what I had budgeted for! Plus, I have seen some images where the diamond plate wings are welded to the sides of the tongue and it looks a bit odd to me... not quite the sleek look that having diamond plate right on the front wall gives (of course, what about a Bigfoot is sleek anyway, right... she looks like a rolling Twinkie). I was planning to purchase an off-the-shelf pre-made diamond plate tongue box and spent days looking at everything that was available, but with the unusual angle of the Bigfoot trailer front wall and the position of that front light over the propane storage area, none of them would have worked well for the intended use of storing two 6V batteries, 1-2 propane bottles and chock blocks. Would that I were a welder, but alas, I am not.
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 06:51 PM   #24

Name: Mike
Alberta
rock guard

Ti is easy to clean spray 9 presure wash bugs be gone . this is a rental my companay is retro ranch rv .i do this on all my rentals this one is 7 years on the road. we also lowered the tank mount to add 2 30 lbs tanks .one cliant jackife the trailer damageing the front they put a hole the size of the hot water door in the front . I removed the hot water heater did the glass work then box liner .7 years later you cant tell . thanks for asking
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 08:38 PM   #25

Name: mensie
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP 56 View Post
I used raptor bed liner it is clear an tintable .did the front of my bigfoot form te belt line to the bottom,and went around the conner 6",and also the cover on the lp bottles.looks good and good paint match.just sand the jelcoat with 80 grit mask and spray .drys in about 2 hr.
map56 where did you by that stuff?
mensie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 09:27 PM   #26

Alberta
rock guard

It is a diy bed liner i think it is about $180.00 cdn Carlson body shop supplies Edmonton I do restoration and repairs . and this summer rentals .
Attached Thumbnails
20171030_212009.jpg  
Old 10-30-2017, 11:33 PM   #27

Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Deluxe B19 19 ft / 2007 Nissan Frontier V6 NISMO 4x4
I am impressed with your repair and renovations skills, Map 56! I am going to order just the same product that you used. Seems well worth the resilience. Of course, trust the Canadians to do things the right way! Love the idea of retro RV rentals... good for you! It's recycling, restoring and making income all in one!
V'sGlassSleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 04:54 AM   #28

Alberta
rock guard

Un related but i made the camper from an oilfeld building from Redwater AB the chalange was to make it out of recycled material .the onlt part is the counter top the rest is from many prodjects .the cabnets is wood fro shiping crates. i lovet it it is good for - 40 r 40 floor r 12 walls and roof .it stayes in the truck year round .
Attached Thumbnails
20170327_101003_001.jpg   20160909_172447.jpg  

20160909_172508.jpg  
Old 10-31-2017, 06:02 AM   #29

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
What I don't like about the bedliner concept is putting a rough surface texture on the visible areas. It will collect dirt, be harder to wash clean and also be somewhat of a drag in the windstream instead of a slippery surface. Looking at the composition of most of those product I noted that many of them are high solids polyurethane paint but with texture media added to it so that cargo loads in the trucks don't slip around so easily.

The same type of paint without the grit is being sold and used for the better quality garage floor paint, for industrial coatings and the two part marine boat paints. The keywords for your search are "high solids polyurethane"

The only reason to put grit into this type of coating is for its skid resistance. Since you do not need and actually should not want to have a non skid grit applied to your trailers vertical surface why would you want to use those gritty truck bed liner versions of this product? Maybe to look "cool" like the DIY guys who coat their vans with it because they can't afford a shop applied paint jog? I guess it is a kind of fashion statement to do that. But what matters for impact resistance and scratch resistance is the actual high solids polyurethane formula and not those bits of grit.

For your further reading on the subject in case you don't understand what I am saying about it...

Here is a description of it from Sherwin Williams: https://protective.sherwin-williams....3Aproduct-6890

Here is Sherwin Williams marine paint version of it:
https://protective.sherwin-williams....3Aproduct-6938

A description of it from the garage floor coatings:
A Comparison and Difference Between Epoxy and Polyurethane Floor Coating

I am not going to bother quoting the same information about high solids polyurethane coatings from the truck bed liner sites as you will have already seen them.

Forget the grit and just shop for the best quality and best prices in the colors of your preference. Because the same class of paint formula is actually being used for different purposes. It is the high solids polyurethane that matters, not the texture media they put into it. They only add that stuff for its anti-skid properties.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boler