CO Advice wanted! What should I pay and look for in a 1990 Casita? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #1

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1990 Casita
Colorado
Advice wanted! What should I pay and look for in a 1990 Casita?

Hi! My husband has wanted a Casita forever and there is a 1990, 16 foot for sale nearby for 2,800. We look at it today, but thought I would ask a couple of questions to you guys, the experts.

-What should I look at or ask about when we check this out? What are things that would be really expensive to replace, and what wouldn't be a big deal?

-Overall, Is this a good price? I know it depends on condition, but what would you accept for this price?

Any advice is huge! My hubby has a tendency to get really carried away and I don't want to buy something that isn't worth it.

Thanks!
Old 07-17-2014, 01:25 PM   #2

Name: Jeff
Trailer: In the market
Colorado
Hi,Lisa
First is it big enough? How is the Fiberglass on the outside and is everything working inside. When you looked at the Casita was the refrigerator running the air on and the water hooked up, if not go back and have then do this. Then you will know what works or not. This way you know what your paying for. If things are not working then offer them less and work it out from there. If you need more info Please let me know.
Hope this helps, Jeff
Old 07-17-2014, 02:20 PM   #3

Name: Steve
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
16' Casita

Lisa, if I lived closer, I would show up with 3 grand cash and tow it away assuming the roof was not caved in. You will likely need to get the axle replaced. Its welded on and a replacement will get you new brake assemblies for approx $800 installed. While you are at it, its best to upgrade the wheels to 15" and get 3 new tires load range D. Even if it needs a new battery($100) and a refrigerator($800), you will still have gotten a real deal!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Name: Shirley
Trailer: Casita patriot
Colorado
I guess I would suggest checking out the frame underneath for any obvious cracks or abuse.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 PM   #5

Name: Vanessa
Trailer: UHaul
California
Registry
Hi Lisa,

I like that you're doing your homework! I'd suggest taking a gander at Casita Trailers SOLD | Fiberglass RV's For Sale to get a good idea about what the going rates are for the make and model Casita you're looking at. I'd also factor in where it's located. A unit in California is going to ask more than one in Mississippi. Keeping all of that in mind, once you get fresh eyes on it, you'll be able to judge whether what the seller is asking is fair or if you need to negotiate further.

Good Luck and Best wishes on your Egg Hunt!

Tags
casita