Winter Cover for a Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2016, 01:31 PM   #1

Name: Tom and Stephanie
Trailer: Casita 17' Freedom Deluxe
Wisconsin
Winter Cover for a Casita

I'm a newbie when it comes to fiberglass trailers; I am expecting delivery in March, 2016. My Casita will be kept on my driveway in Wisconsin when not in use. Question: Would you recommend covering it with a tarp especially in the winter months or does a good wax job suffice?
Tom Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:23 PM   #2

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
You are investing in a quality trailer that deserves good uv protection during the storage months.

Invest in a Calmark cover that is tailored for trailer. It will come with a zippered door that allows easy entry during the long northern winter. A common tarp may cause abrasion scratches.

See: calmarkcovers.com
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 02:50 PM   #3

Name: Rich
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 13D
Minnesota
You two may wish to join the group attending the Egg Harbor rally June 8-12.

See:
https://sites.google.com/site/eggsat...ttendee-s-list
Rich G. and Val F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I've used a quality wax (3M products ) and wash with Simonize Wash 'n' Wax regularly for seven years that I've owned the trailer. Last summer a stranger was surprised to find how old it was. He thought it brand new.

My problem with a trailer cover is the inconvenience of putting it on and taking it off and that I really should have some sort of cover to protect the cover.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:25 PM   #5

Wisconsin
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich G. and Val F. View Post
You two may wish to join the group attending the Egg Harbor rally June 8-12.

See:
https://sites.google.com/site/eggsat...ttendee-s-list
Thanks for the feedback...........and the rally looks to be very interesting and a great way to spend our 48th anniversary..................!
Old 01-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #6

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
It would be much better to invest in carport than in tarp covering.
Old 01-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #7

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Another recommendation for the Calmark cover if you don't have a carport.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:24 PM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I also agree with a calmark cover
My HOA would not allow a carport

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:44 AM   #9

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Casita
Connecticut
Hey Tom,
One more vote for the Calmark. I was able to find a used one by following the forums and posting a "wanted" ad in the classifieds. Sometimes someone will own a cover then build a carport so one will become available. My rule of thumb is that if our next trip is more than two weeks away, I cover it. Calmark is a quality cover expensive but worth the price and your Casita is an investment you'll want to protect. Welcome and good luck.
wwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 07:49 AM   #10

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Cantrell View Post
I'm a newbie when it comes to fiberglass trailers; I am expecting delivery in March, 2016. My Casita will be kept on my driveway in Wisconsin when not in use. Question: Would you recommend covering it with a tarp especially in the winter months or does a good wax job suffice?
I have been tracking discussions on this subject for nine or ten months now on this forum, Scamp Owners International, and two Facebook groups. The topic comes up repeatedly and there is no consensus other than a garage or carport is the best option if it can be arranged and a Calmark cover is a very good product and likely the best IF you decide to use a cover. You can review these prior discussions for yourself.

There was frequent mention of a tarp or other loose fitting cover scuffing up the finish so I would not recommend that option.

As I see it, the primary reasons to cover the trailer are to reduce chalking of the gel coat and degradation of rubber and plastic parts from UV radiation (aka sunlight). I think frequent waxing with a good quality wax can pretty much eliminate the former problem and the latter issue is more minor and should be weighed against the cost or a cover or shelter ($500 and up).

Another consideration is tree sap. I spent more money to get a tree cut down than I would have on a cover, but the tree had a huge branch over my house so I wanted it gone anyway. So it depends in part on where it will be parked.

One more consideration is that it is difficult at best for one person to put a cover on, and even if you always have help, you might not be likely to bother with it except when the trailer is in off-season, semi-permanent storage.

I cannot have a carport here, and I have been going back and forth on my decision to use or cover or not. At first I was going to buy a Calmark cover and each time I think about it I gravitate a little more toward the decision to not use a cover. Since I store the trailer in my driveway I can keep it clean and maintained.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: 13' 1973 Boler - tow/2017 Colorado Crew-Cab
Ontario
Registry
Calmark, Wax, Carport, etc. ?
We built a 'Toy Box' to house the ATV and the Boler !
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1413.jpg  
bullfrogeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:24 PM   #12

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Whatever you do, do it well. A good wax is better than a cheap cover, and a good cover is better than a cheap carport. A heated garage is best of all. But even cheap wax is better than nothing!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 03:43 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Exactly. And wax fits like a glove.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:12 PM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullfrogeh View Post
Calmark, Wax, Carport, etc. ?
We built a 'Toy Box' to house the ATV and the Boler !
And spent more on the shelter than on the trailer. A bottle of GOOD wax is about $32. And a can of Silicone spray* to protect the rubber and vinyl stuff is about $3.

Still I like the toy garage and wish I had one.
--
*Donna.. thats Silicone spray, not caulk
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 12:48 PM   #15

Wisconsin
Gordon,
Thanks for your summation and discussion. I'm leaning to a frequent wax job. A Calmark will cost me $685 with shipping. Tree sap should not be a problem. I do have a heated three car garage BUT the doors are too low AND my wood working shop would have to go or one my vehicles would have to go outside. Sooooo I think we'll go through at least one winter with the trailer waxed but uncovered and evaluate the situation.
tom

Tags
casita