What is the Entrance Door Width on a 17.5 Bigfoot and a 17 Foot Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: Skamper Pop-Up
California
What is the Entrance Door Width on a 17.5 Bigfoot and a 17 Foot Casita

Hi All,

The subject says it all.

I've been unable to find this out during my searches.

The reason is that my current slide-in Skamper pop-up has a 21" wide door, and want a wider door in whatever trailer I end up getting.

Thank you,
Paul
Paul_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
An Escape 17 has a 22 1/2" door. Limits the refrigerators that can be used...
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:47 AM   #3

California
Jon,

Thank you for your response.

Paul
Old 01-12-2016, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
99 Casita SD
21 3/4"
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:48 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Vintage Burros appear to have a wider door opening, as do the newer Lil Snoozy and Happier Camper HC1 (in addition to the rear hatch). Don't know exactly how wide, and they're not quite in the same category as the two models you're investigating.

This old thread has a little bit of data about door width.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:19 PM   #6

California
Kevin and Jon,

Thank you for the info.

Jon,

I had actually quick scanned that thread before and missed that there were a few door widths in it. So, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I think the door is around 28" wide on the Lil Snoozy, while I really like the design of it, I am concerned about it's performance in the desert (heat) and winter (same for the Casita). The 25 series Bigfoot's appears to have enough insulation to keep from cycling the furnace or air-conditioner constantly. Of course I'd have to get a generator for the air-conditioner.

Also like the Happier Camper HC1, it's main door is around 25' and of course that nice rear hatch it has. Temperature extremes performance is an unknown to me. According to their website FAQ, they are working on an off road version. I just wish it was longer.

In case you all are curious, and had already mentioned in the "Hi, I am.." forum that I do amateur astronomy. so I'm awake at night (except when I burn out from being awake all day) and sleep during the day. While in the desert in summer, I've seen the thermometer needle disappear into the housing just after sunrise. Once I was out in the Midwest at -20 F. These days (older now and have spent to much time living on the coastal strip of southern California) more realistic goal for me is to be able to handle down to 0 F. And then there is the factor that my girl friend is telling me that she will probably retire this year, and wants to go on my trips with me, which she never has up to this point, so, I would need to have more room.

As to why I'm interested in door width, my largest scope has a 14" mirror, total diameter is probably around 15.5 - 17" with some of the extra attachments. And then there is the foam that I use to support it when traveling. which is probably 2' across, currently have take the scope out of its traveler, put them in separately, and then repack. My longest scope is around 5' long. For additional protection I carry them on the couch of my camper (I never take them both at the same time, not enough room). There's many more pieces of equipment that also goes along with this hobby, but I won't go into them.

Also, getting side tracked here, while I can tow up to roughly 9000 lbs with either of my pickups, I want to stay at or below 5000 lbs so that I don't have to deal with a weight distribution hitch for over 500 lbs tongue weight. They don't work so well off road unless you disconnect them. Only one of the places I go to is a developed campground (rarely, only during the week, not on the weekend). Everything else is out in the sticks (guess I should say rocks, sand and/or cactus) with no people around or very few.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 01-12-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

Name: jack
Trailer: Bigfoot
Arizona
The entrance door opening on a 17.5 Bigfoot is 23" measured side to side on the door frame. It's 22" measured door frame to inside edge of the opened door ( the Bigfoot door opens 90 degrees, not almost 180 degrees like the Casita etc.

jack
tidewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:41 PM   #8

California
Jack,

Thanks, and I never even thought about doors that only open to 90 degrees.

Something else to consider, since I like to open the door all the way (as close to 180 as is allowed), lock it open and let the breeze through the screen door when conditions permit it.

Paul
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #9

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
You could buy an empty Snoozy shell, have 2"-3" of polyurethane foam sprayed inside, then finish the interior (or have it finished) to suit yourself.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 AM   #10

California
Mike,

Thanks.

With a interior width of 6' 6", and adding 2" of spray foam, would take it down to
6' 2". Am not sure how I'd deal with it, am pretty sure that I don't have the talent to do it and have it come out OK.....

There are options available to me, just don't know at this time which direction and compromises I want to make.

I was amazed though, that it appears that I could go to a 21' Escape and stay under my desired weight limit. And being 7' 4" wide, I'd like it better than 8'.

Paul

Tags
bigfoot, casita