Sewing in a 17' Spirit Casita - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2016, 05:46 PM   #1

Name: Janis
Trailer: obtaining information
Delaware
Sewing in a 17' Spirit Casita

How does one sew in a Casita? I'm planning on buying one in the future--I like to sew--how do you set up a sewing center in a small TT? I guess a lot of things will be stored in my pull vehicle. I will be living alone in the TT so that will be a plus. Anyone else have issues with this or can you tell me how you do it? I was thinking of sleeping on the single bed and use the large table set up for my sewing.
janisg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:37 PM   #2

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
Sewing in a 17' Spirit Casita

When the weather is nice you sew outside!
Old 01-13-2016, 06:49 PM   #3

Delaware
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves99 View Post
When the weather is nice you sew outside!

Never thought of that--but being a bit shy i like to be by myself and sew with no one noticing me. Besides, doesn't it get kinda of windy out there in the desert? (hoping to visit next year). Another thing: I'm surprised that the desert out in Arizona is so cool and downright cold at night. Never been out west; always thought it would be hot all year long in Arizona. I heard the desert gets cold at night but I didn't expect it to get that cold. That's OK as long as i have heat and/or a Little Buddy heater. Can't wait to go west.

I'm not going to worry about it--I'm pretty inventive and can figure these things out myself. I'll come up with some sort of plan.
Old 01-13-2016, 08:14 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
How does one sew in a Casita? I'm planning on buying one in the future--I like to sew--how do you set up a sewing center in a small TT? I guess a lot of things will be stored in my pull vehicle. I will be living alone in the TT so that will be a plus. Anyone else have issues with this or can you tell me how you do it? I was thinking of sleeping on the single bed and use the large table set up for my sewing.
My wife used our dining table to set her sewing machine when she used the machine. The hand sewing was done whenever she could find a seat...outside or even sitting in our auto.

The sewing machine lived in the trunk of our auto, along with my lap-top computer and tiny printer.

A very poor, out of focus photo of the 4-foot by 8-foot quilt she made in our RV while we were traveling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0328[1].jpg
Views:	12
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	91709

Bii
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Nolen View Post
My wife used our dining table to set her sewing machine when she used the machine. The hand sewing was done whenever she could find a seat...outside or even sitting in our auto.

The sewing machine lived in the trunk of our auto, along with my lap-top computer and tiny printer.

A very poor, out of focus photo of the 4-foot by 8-foot quilt she made in our RV while we were traveling.

Attachment 91709

Bii

Beautiful quilt. That's what I'll have to do--use my pull vehicle to store things in and use the dining table to sew. Hand sewing i can do anywhere. I noticed people said there is a lot of down time when camping--i never thought about that. I don't want to just sit around--that's what i do now at home. being out and about is more of an encouragement to sew or do other artistic things. i'm tired of looking at the same views here at home every day.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:28 PM   #6

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
We put campground picnic table in screen room, wife sews there. Or the campground where we winter has a sewing group and a quilting group that gather once a week in the community room and sew there. All of our campers have quilts she made, as does our bed at home, plus all kids and grandkids and some relatives, and a dozen extras at home.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 12:52 AM   #7

Delaware
I was thinking of that also, getting a screen room and doing sewing in there. And I did hear about sewing groups in certain rv parks. That would be fun to get together with other sewers. I also read on a blog that you can use the community centers tables to cut material. That would be a great help. I look forward to going to different parts of the country and buying material. Your wife really does a lot of quilting. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
I bought a smaller sewing machine to take along in our Casita SD and just kept it in the box it came in, that way I could put together a small kit of sewing supplies to have along. I kept the box in our tow vehicle and would sew while my husband fly fished. I would sew at the dining table (the small one). This past year I decided to learn English Paper Piecing - much more portable.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 10:12 AM   #9

Delaware
Sewing

Thanks Marsha for the idea. What kind of sewing machine did you buy. I have a Janome Memory Craft 3000 which I have had for years now. It doesn't take up much room. But being its only me in the trailer I'm sure I won't have any problems storing it. The embroidery machine isn't an expensive model and not one of those really big kind. So I'm sure that wouldn't be a problem either. Really the real problem is with the threads and scissors and other little things we need to sew with. I've been looking at Amazon and they have some nice plastic containers to put things in--not big ones--but small and can hold a lot. It's to bad we can't 'hang' things on the wall. I even considered getting a regular camper instead of the fiberglass version--but then thought about it and really would like a fiberclass TT. Just have to cut back on what to bring along in the sewing department--I know it can get out of hand.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:39 AM   #10

Name: David
Trailer: 2010 Escape 15A
Pennsylvania
"It's to bad we can't 'hang' things on the wall."
Hello, janisg,
I see that you joined the forum this year - welcome! I am relatively new myself, searching the forums and learning all that I can. As you explore the forums, you will see that there is a 'search' feature near the top of the computer screen, and you can look for specific keywords like 'sew' and 'sewing'. It may be helpful.

You will also find that people have found all kinds of creative ways to hang things in their fiberglass trailers, such as:
- Drapery hooks in the Casita carpet
- Suction cups (some work better than others)
- Hooks over the bathroom or closet door
- Screw hooks into doors
- Magnets on the refrigerator (such as IKEA magnetic spice storage containers)
- An IKEA magnetic strip - to hold knives (or scissors, needles or pins)

Folks certainly get creative. Best of luck to you as you look for the perfect trailer. I have my eye on one or two manufacturers - the Casita Liberty and the Scamp 19 - so that my partner and I can sleet lengthwise.

I'm retiring in April '16, and you are inspiring me to finish a quilt that I started - a 'broken star' pattern.
Best regards, David.
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:56 PM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by janisg View Post
Thanks Marsha for the idea. What kind of sewing machine did you buy.
I bought a Babylock Anna - it's a mechanical machine so I knew it could take the rigors of travel and I didn't want anything to happen to my computerized sewing machine. The Anna is also lighter and wasn't that expensive.

Organization is the key, so using storage boxes would be ideal. Good luck in your search for a FBRV.
Marsha D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #12

Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidGlen View Post
"It's to bad we can't 'hang' things on the wall."
Hello, janisg,
I see that you joined the forum this year - welcome! I am relatively new myself, searching the forums and learning all that I can. As you explore the forums, you will see that there is a 'search' feature near the top of the computer screen, and you can look for specific keywords like 'sew' and 'sewing'. It may be helpful.

You will also find that people have found all kinds of creative ways to hang things in their fiberglass trailers, such as:
- Drapery hooks in the Casita carpet
- Suction cups (some work better than others)
- Hooks over the bathroom or closet door
- Screw hooks into doors
- Magnets on the refrigerator (such as IKEA magnetic spice storage containers)
- An IKEA magnetic strip - to hold knives (or scissors, needles or pins)

Folks certainly get creative. Best of luck to you as you look for the perfect trailer. I have my eye on one or two manufacturers - the Casita Liberty and the Scamp 19 - so that my partner and I can sleet lengthwise.

I'm retiring in April '16, and you are inspiring me to finish a quilt that I started - a 'broken star' pattern.
Best regards, David.

Thanks Dave for the ideas on hanging things. I really would like to stick with a fiberglass camper instead of the stick built one. I was seriously considering a small toy hauler--but i always come back to the fiberglass ones. I like the cozy feel they have but also they seem to last longer than the others. I'll look up sew in the search. There are a lot of men quilters--i see there web sites and they make beautiful quilts. When you finish the quilt please post the picture. Who knows--maybe we will run into each other along the road. Are you going to sew on the road--will it bother your partner? Just think of the beautiful pictures you could take and make photo quilts. Did you ever hear of Nancy Zieman? She is a sewing teacher out of Wisconsin. I'm reading her biography that she wrote. It really is interesting. She's had a lot of health problems while growing up and into college. She loves to make landscape quilts. I would love to learn to do that with pictures taken throughout the United States. Think of all the beautiful places there are that can be captured on camera. I look at other peoples pictures and think how beautiful that would look like in a quilt. She has a tv show but its not on as much as it use to be but you can buy dvd's of her teaching at Nancy's Notions. I know she has one about landscape quilts. And she is such a good teacher--she takes her time and takes things step by step. I've first watched her in the 80's. i'm not a very good quilter but I will still try--mine look very homemade--very unprofessional. But I still enjoy the sewing (like to make dresses for the grandkids too). I've talked to much. But just think about the inspiration you will get while traveling. janis
p.s. at least with the scamp 19 one can sleep while the other person can get up and read or fix breakfast and not disturb the other person. But you both should physically try it out before you buy to make sure your not to cramped.

Tags
casita