1st fiberglass RV a Mity-Lite - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 01:46 AM   #1

Name: kevin
Trailer: Miti-Lite
Washington
1st fiberglass RV a Mity-Lite

So after many years I finally got myself a composite RV. And did I get myself into a heap of, well, fun I guess I should say. Fun at least for us masochistic people who just can not find enough to do with the quite finite allotted time and money to spare each week. I spent way to much money on a gutted rolling shell, a shell mind you with impact damage, sidewall joint sag (the door will not close proper at all) and the one bit of wood in the thing (the floor) is rotted out. It has no parts to its name, I'm at this point surprised it even still has a door and roof ( it dose still have the windows ), did I mention that there is no title or vin? ......and yes, I just HAD to have it. You know how it is when you see something and you know in that very moment that u have to have it, that it is no one else s but yours? They say u can't choose who/what you fall in love with. lucky me.
This thing is like the love child of a VW Westphalia bus and a Scamp and I had to have it. some one needed to save it and bring it back to life. why not me?
So now what I really need to do is to find someone who has one in tact that will let me come see what all I am missing and how it is put together. My biggest concern is getting the lift top canvas and how to install it properly. I found some pics online on these trailers but not much. pretty much all I found comes from this web site. And a great site it is too. So, thanks for having me and I look forward to being part of the fiberglass RV community.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:40 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Kevin, to FiberglassRV, we're glad you're here

I've seen a Miti-Lite in peson, NEATO! Perfect shape for those needing to put in the garage. Sorry I can't help with your question regarding the top.

pictures?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Kevin, check out google images and click on the 100+ slide

https://www.google.com/search?safe=o...gdii=_&imgrc=_

Charlie Y

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:07 AM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Welcome, as Donna said we love pictures please!
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin57 View Post
So after many years I finally got myself a composite RV. And did I get myself into a heap of, well, fun .

Welcome! Congrats, cute lil trailers. And yes, pictures please! Picture request are kinda a given around here.............
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #6

Washington
Thanks Charlie. Thanks everyone. I will try and figure out how to post pics and will do so today.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Kevin

Great looking trailer, I can understand why you HAD to HAVE it

For the canvas section I would visit your local tent and awning manufacturer, just about every city has at least one. Talk to them about what you need and they will tell you exactly what they need to make it. They may want to take the measurements themselves or they may have you measure or maybe even make a template ... talk with them. I have has our local shop make several times for me and they came up with some real innovative solutions (not trailer or camping related)

Here is just one example location:
Washington Tent & Awning - Seattle Awning, Tacoma Awning
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #8

Washington
pics

this should be pics of trailer
Attached Thumbnails
just got home.jpg   just hitting the road.jpg  

1st pics of 1st project 065.jpg   1st pics of 1st project 055.jpg  

Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 PM   #9

Washington
Thanks Ian, Ill give them a call and see what they say.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #10

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
It's a hard-sided tent.

With minimal work you could be camping soon.
Think of it as a hard-sided tent, put together camping gear as you would for a tent and go have fun. It would be nice to be able to pop-the-top, but not essential.
Welcome to FGRV and good luck with your build.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 11:13 PM   #11

Washington
I like the way you think Lora. Thank you
Old 02-03-2014, 07:15 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
until you get everything you need, keep the lid down and camp like they do in teardrops.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 08:20 PM   #13

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
That's an awsomely sweet trailer!! It is a blank slate, you can truly make it your own.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 09:25 PM   #14

Washington
Thanks Pam. I am very excited to be working on it but is so hard and am very limited with shop in the 20's Fahrenheit almost all week Now I'm REALLY ready for Spring..... or a heater for my shop, but Spring sounds more affordable.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:01 AM   #15

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
Awesome project Kevin. I love to buy gutted campers and make them my own.

Question tho I notice a lot of people sell and buy campers with no title or VIN numbers, is that not a problem when you go to the DMV to register it. I would never buy anything with out a title. I saw a show not that long ago where a guy bought a camper with no title and then when the DMV did the search it was found that was a stolen trailer and the police took it and the guy was out the cash he paid for it.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:36 PM   #16

Washington
It's always a financial and emotional risk. That's why it's always best not to. But this was a strait up emotional purchase for me. It was too cool and rare to pass up and at the right time in my life. I felt peace about the purchase. I did make sure I could not find a vin on it before buying it. If I could have then I would have ran a vin search on one of the many online vin search sites before buying it. But with out a vin there is no way to identify it stolen. So from there you go.....Well, I pray it was not stolen. (Because no one wants to own something that was stolen ) If God forbid it was stolen I hope they had insurance. And I give myself condolence that I was willing to pay so much for it and that I am going to save it and give it life again and make it better then new.
From there, I take it to the State Patrol and they do an inspection on it and issue me a new vin with a three year grace period at which time I get my Title. And this happens every day. To find out it was stolen is more of the exception then the rule. You always hear about the plane going down but not the thousands of flights each day. But it is always a risk and never an ideal situation if nothing else because the extra trouble. But for me this time I felt this trailer was worth it.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:04 AM   #17

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
I know all too well the felling of emotion when buying something. I bought my second Boler that way but did have a lot of phone calls and emails back and forth with the previous owner and his local DMV office before I drove 1/2 way across Canada to pick it up.

Love the pics of your camper. And wish you good luck with getting a title. We all need to do our part in keeping these campers on the road.

Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin57 View Post
It's always a financial and emotional risk. That's why it's always best not to. But this was a strait up emotional purchase for me. It was too cool and rare to pass up and at the right time in my life. I felt peace about the purchase. I did make sure I could not find a vin on it before buying it. If I could have then I would have ran a vin search on one of the many online vin search sites before buying it. But with out a vin there is no way to identify it stolen. So from there you go.....Well, I pray it was not stolen. (Because no one wants to own something that was stolen ) If God forbid it was stolen I hope they had insurance. And I give myself condolence that I was willing to pay so much for it and that I am going to save it and give it life again and make it better then new.
From there, I take it to the State Patrol and they do an inspection on it and issue me a new vin with a three year grace period at which time I get my Title. And this happens every day. To find out it was stolen is more of the exception then the rule. You always hear about the plane going down but not the thousands of flights each day. But it is always a risk and never an ideal situation if nothing else because the extra trouble. But for me this time I felt this trailer was worth it.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #18

Washington
Thanks Rick.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:37 PM   #19

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Colorado
Hey Kevin, Tomorrow is the two-year anniversary of your first post on FGRV regarding your love-at-first-sight Mity Lite (Take Five?) "project" camper, and it's almost been two years since your last post about it. How's it going? Been camping in it yet? Regardless, I hope you are still lovin' it! Dale
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:16 AM   #20

Washington
Thanks for checking in!! Yah Ive turned a little trailer into a big project and it has not been the priority I wish it could be. Unfortunately It still has a way to go so I have not yet used it. But I def still love it and I'm keeping an eye out for one for sale or in someone's backyard that might sell. One that is complete so I can just go enjoy until I can finish this one.

Tags
miti-lite