Genesis - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2007, 08:22 AM   #41

Trailer: 1978 Volkswagen Westfalia
It is much too heavy for me and also the outside kitchen is NOT appealing. When it is raining or cold, I do NOT want to be outside cooking.

I don't need a big cooking area inside but I do want to be able to cook inside, if I have to.

I want a shorter version with a "pop top" like the Compact Jr.

Basically, what I am after is a place to sleep, high and dry, for 4 people, a port-a-potty storage area, storage and small kitchen. I also want at least a queen size bed that I can easily make up (like the Westfalia layout). The bed stays made up except for when the "couch" is set up. When it is time to go to bed, the "couch" goes down and I just put the fitted sheet around the corners and climb in.
Jan Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 08:44 AM   #42

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp (Egg Salad Annie)
Registry
Remembering how many people live in So Cal and camp , an outside cooking area is a good idea especially considering that most camp in almost ideal conditions. My brother has a vintage Tear drop and loves the outdood cooking. He even has the original Canvas.
There are a lot of very cool ideas designed into this product. I wish them the best
Taylor the Sailor
Taylor Kissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #43

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Steve,
I like the design, even though it may not be for everyone. The outside kitchen is a plus if one camps in dry weather. With all the drought the Southwest is experiencing and will continue to have, looks like dry camping will be here for a long time.

Curious, you list the dry weight of the trailer and the weight the tires are capable of handling. Listed also is the size of the fresh water tank, a 35 galloner. Fill that tank with fresh water, then is there any reserve weight capacity for anything else? It looks to me as if the tank were topped offf, weights would be close to or over the top, not only for the trailer tires but the tow vehicle also. There is also the added weight of propane. Our minivan is rated at a max of 3500 lbs for towing, which seems to be a common figure. So, what will the added pounds figure to be? Don
Donald Stahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #44

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Donald, It appears to me that pointing out the drawbacks of this camper is not the political correct (PC) thing to do. Others have pointed out things then retracted them due to some kind of (PC) pressure. We should be able to have honest and open discussions here.

Art Van Delay pointed out, It is far to heavy and far to expensive for such a small camper so lets let the facts speak for themselves.

You can purchase a larger new Scamp (13 to 19ft) for the same price or less, the Scamp 19ft 5er is listed at 2000 pounds and you can load it up 3500 pounds. It comes with most of the things you want including a shower, toilet and you cook inside and it sleeps 4 to 6 people and the smaller Scamps surely must cost less

Regardless of if this new camper is your cup of tea or not, let me ask one question:

1. Would you invest money by purchasing stock in this company?

If you think there is a niche market for this new camper that will earn you income then the answer is yes.

If you think you could lose your investment then the answer is no.

It is that simple.

The marketability of this camper will determine it’s future.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:13 PM   #45

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Donald, I have already expressed similar concerns in this thread, although I note the following:
  • with full freshwater and propane tanks there is still capacity - that's the Cargo Carrying Capacity shown according to current industry standards on the spec sheet
  • the current tires are sized to allow reaching the full Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (barely)
  • Steve has already responded that higher-capacity tires are being considered (thanks, Steve)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 01:18 PM   #46

The outside galley configuration is unlike a conventional travel trailer. That's the point... it suits a different style of camping, as the teardrop people already know.

I know people who have tent trailers and pull them with pickup trucks on family camping trips. Although the tent trailers have fully functional kitchens, they fill up the trucks with gear and do all of their cooking and dishwashing outside on tables because they want to be outside - the inside kitchen is a waste.

The tent trailer makers know that this is common, and many provide inside/outside stoves, when can easily be moved to where you want to use them. For these people, an outside galley that doesn't require setup (just open the hatch) is great.

Although the social event known as "tailgating" is foreign to me, I hear it's big in some areas. I'll bet this rig is the ultimate tailgate party support tool.

By the way, I did not see the originals of the "censored" posts, but I have read the responses, and I see no "political" pressure. Common decency and courtesy, of course, would be nice.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:19 PM   #47

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
At the risk of sounding somewhat critical and I hope I don't come through as such, because I believe this camper is going to find its nitch in the market but, its not molded fiberglass but rather made up of molded fiberglass panels. Am I seeing this right????
Old 03-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #48

Darwin,
Politically correct?? I asked about the weight, thought it was a pretty fair question. I did not realize that anyone would think it an incorrect statement. Now, is there some way in which a question could be asked regarding this which would suit you? Incidentally, I have no interest in investing or in not investing in the future of this company, it matters not. What interest I have was confined solely to the questions I asked. Those questions have now been answered.
Old 03-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #49

Name: Jack
Trailer: Scampless in Oregon
Oregon
"By the way, I did not see the originals of the "censored" posts, but I have read the responses, and I see no "political" pressure. Common decency and courtesy, of course, would be nice."

Well, being "PC" is not much of a concern for me! I removed my post because of the fact that I felt like I was being too critical of someone's creation.... suffice to say that there was not one feature of the Genisis that appealed to me!

There certainly was no pressure on me..... I just felt like I was being a bit harsh.
jack smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #50

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Sorry Donald, I apologize because I was not taking a shot at you.

I read what Mr. VanDelay said, the posts that were removed, the cartoon only face post and what the manufacture stated about his product and made the assumption that being critical of the camper was frowned on.

I personally have no interest in the camper and predict that it will not flourish in the market place when compared to the other units in the same price range.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 09:12 PM   #51

Darwin,
No bad feelings here, I assure you. There is an old saying - if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. Whenever someone introduces anything new, questions about it's merits will be asked. Those same questions, unasked, will always be answered in the marketplace. Were I posting of a new procuct or invention, I would welcome all inquiries, perhaps saving me considerable grief down the road. Now if, as you say, some posts were deleted, that is most unfortunate. Freedom of speech may be a thing of the past, but strict adherance to some fancied 'politically correct' statement shoud never be the cause for censorship. I also apologize to you for perhaps over-reacting somewhat. Don
Old 03-04-2007, 10:44 AM   #52

Trailer: Boler Honey
This is in response to the idea of being able to put the trailer in the garage. There is one other option, borrowed from my 1961 Aritstocrat lo-liner sticky tin trailer. It had optional "garage wheels." These were apparently smaller steel wheels that lowered the height enough to put the trailer in the garage. Like many trailers, including many fiberglass trailers, the floor of the Lo-liner was set lower in the middle of the trailer for headroom at the stove, closet, etc, and higher by the bed and dinette. I don't have the garage wheels, nor do I store my trailer in the garage, but it certainly seemed an innovative idea Of course it required you to change wheels, but then that might not be such a big deal as compared to renting a storage space, and it would certainly make it easy to check your bearings often!
lwehrly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:00 AM   #53

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
This is in response to the idea of being able to put the trailer in the garage. There is one other option, borrowed from my 1961 Aritstocrat lo-liner sticky tin trailer. It had optional "garage wheels." These were apparently smaller steel wheels that lowered the height enough to put the trailer in the garage.
This is a reasonable idea for off-season storage of the trailer, but not practical for someone like me who wants to be able to hop in to the car, hitch up the trailer, and go, on Friday after work.

However, the "Pop-down" is not a bad idea- what about, instead of a pop-top, the trailer had a pop-bottom, that was lowered to the ground (or close) when the trailer is parked, to allow head-room, but raised to allow safe travel? It would not have the problem of leaking that overhead canvas does on pop-tops. Biggest problem would be a decent and easy to use and not terribly expensive mechanism to lower the floor when the trailer is parked. But since the part that would need to be lowered is just the floor- none of the furniture or appliances would need to be lower- it could be very simple.

I know this is pretty off-topic, but when you have the ear of someone who builds a new design, its worth mentioning!

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 11:38 AM   #54

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
Sorry to take so long responding - also sorry for the confusion regarding the 'pop-top'. What I meant was something very similar to the Compacts and Hunters. I can post a photo of a modern example if people want.

Anyway - there's nothing new under the sun of course...

The "pop-down" idea (floor lowers while you're camping) has been done by some people building teardrops. I know it was done commercially at least once. I believe the trailer I'm thinking of was called a "Metzendorf" - but it had a something like 4x4 area in front of the door lower down when camped.

Another option would be to lower the entire trailer for garaging then raising it up again for the road. There's a place called "Fish House Supply" that sells frames for building your own trailers. The trailer frame drops down to ground level for fishing - but the same system could be very minorly modified to just drop the body down REAL low instead to easily roll into a garage. Here they are: drop-frame-trailers

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007, 02:15 PM   #55

Quote:
...its not molded fiberglass but rather made up of molded fiberglass panels. Am I seeing this right?
Essentially all moulded fiberglass trailers are made up of more than one moulded piece - the most common number is just two "halves", plus doors and other minor stuff. As long as the pieces are joined into a a self-supporting body (not just paneling on a structural wall or roof frame), it's still a moulded fiberglass structure.

As I understand the Genesis, it is fundamentally a two-piece design, with top and bottom shells meeting near mid-height, which is the most common design for our trailers. The unusual features are
  • the bottom shell (or "tub") defines the inside surface, rather than the outside
  • the top shell is added after the interior is fitted, complete with framed and paneled walls
  • the frame includes structures which extend up to the horizontal joint line
Hopefully Steve will get a chance to correct whatever I have misunderstood.
Old 03-04-2007, 04:25 PM   #56
Commercial Member

Trailer: Genesis
Quote:
As I understand the Genesis, it is fundamentally a two-piece design, with top and bottom shells meeting near mid-height, which is the most common design for our trailers. The unusual features are
  • the bottom shell (or "tub") defines the inside surface, rather than the outside
  • the top shell is added after the interior is fitted, complete with framed and paneled walls
  • the frame includes structures which extend up to the horizontal joint line
Hopefully Steve will get a chance to correct whatever I have misunderstood.
I could not have explained it any better.

Steve
Steve Wishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #57

Trailer: 17 ft Escape
When storing my old boler in the garage all I needed to do was let half the air out of the tires before pushing it through the door. then once inside I would inflate them again..... cheaper than "garage tires"

As to our new Escape....well, it will have to stay outside :-)

ps. I liked the ability to add the options we wanted on our trailer. Yes, the price goes up but I prefer that to paying for options I don't want. Just a thought.

jen
Jen'nBarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #58

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe / Infiniti SUV
This is by no means a comment on this nice new addition to the fiberglass market.

I just wanted to remind anyone (particularly a newbie) who sees these 3000 lb. or 3500 lb. tow-weight figures about the tow vehicle's true capacity at altitude.

Engines are theoretically de-rated by approximately 4% for each 1000 ft. increase above sea level. That means little if you are towing in flatlands or perhaps occasionally to several thousand feet above sea level. But, if you ever intend to spend much time in the mountains, it becomes a factor.

As a "for-instance", our home is at 7300'. When we went to look for a new TV to pull the Casita 17', the vehicle I really preferred was rated at 3500 lb. (At sea level.) Although the dealer knew he was going to lose a customer, he was honest (unusual for this particular dealership ) in recommending we not buy that vehicle. He knew that owners around here typically tow at 6000' to 10000' to get to the primo camping areas.

We purchased a 5000 lb. rated TV from another manufacturer and have never looked back---except we have one friend in our local G.S. Chapter who bought the vehicle that I first wanted---tows a trailer that's maybe 200 lbs. heavier than ours, and he's always complaining about going slow and shifting down so much! So, particularly watch the tow capacity of your TV if you're coming up to the high places.

That being said, we look forward to camping next to a bunch of these new trailers some day soon. We, here, all admire the entrepreneurial efforts of guys like this, confident that they will evolve their product to fit the market.
George Cathcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 03:15 PM   #59

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Steve talked quite a bit with my wife and I at the California RV show in Pomona. We went to look at the different micro lites out there and figured the show was the place to do it. We were looking at going with a T@b or iCamp before the show leaning toward the iCamp. Well we looked at the T@b and at 6'1" I was not thrilled with how short it is and just a porta potty assembled in the USA using many European parts. Then we looked at the iCamp nice setup roomy for what it has inside but just a tad too short it is closest dealer is 500 miles away built in China, Then the Genesis WoW I can stand up in this trailer and the way it is set up as well as the outside galley we are sold as soon as possible we will be buying one, this is the trailer for us! MADE IN THE USA We have a Frontier to pull it with so no problem. The clamshell T@b is the one we were leaning towards in that line. The Genesis is a great trailer if you have not seen it go take a close look the pictures do not do this trailer any justice you need to see it.
Great work Steve!
Quote:
Hello-
My name is Steve Wishek, and I would like to share with you a new fiberglass trailer which we have just this month introduced. The name of the trailer is Genesis. The company is American Sport Trailer. If you would like to see us, you can find us at http://www.americansporttrailer.com.

Attachment 6573

As a new manufacturer we appreciate the opportunity to post to this forum, and we look forward to your comments.
Thanks!
Steve
Rod C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 04:57 PM   #60

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Steve talked quite a bit with my wife and I at the California RV show in Pomona. We went to look at the different micro lites out there and figured the show was the place to do it. We were looking at going with a T@b or iCamp before the show leaning toward the iCamp. Well we looked at the T@b and at 6'1" I was not thrilled with how short it is and just a porta potty assembled in the USA using many European parts. Then we looked at the iCamp nice setup roomy for what it has inside but just a tad too short it is closest dealer is 500 miles away built in China, Then the Genesis WoW I can stand up in this trailer and the way it is set up as well as the outside galley we are sold as soon as possible we will be buying one, this is the trailer for us! MADE IN THE USA We have a Frontier to pull it with so no problem. The clamshell T@b is the one we were leaning towards in that line. The Genesis is a great trailer if you have not seen it go take a close look the pictures do not do this trailer any justice you need to see it.
Great work Steve!
Agree completely Rod C. The Genesis was quite a pleasant surprise for us.

We rushed through the show so fast that the iCamp was missed. Didn't know they existed.
Steve R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
genesis