Tour a 13' Scamp Deluxe or Standard - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Referrals: Molded Fiberglass Trailers
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-10-2017, 08:49 AM   #1

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Tour a 13' Scamp Deluxe or Standard

Hello

We are located in Charleston SC and I was wondering if anyone out there owned a 13' Scamp in our area. We are trying to decide if the 13 would be adequate for our needs.
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks

Mike
altitudewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 13 ft Scamp
Looking at Scamp trailers

Hi Mike,
Scamp has a referral program. If you call them up, you can ask them for the names and numbers of Scamp owners near you who are willing to show you their Scamp trailer. Last I knew, if you wind up buying a new Scamp trailer as a result, they send a check for $50 to the person whose trailer you looked at.

Further, If you own a Scamp trailer, and someone looks at your trailer (not initiated by Scamp) and as a result that person buys a new Scamp trailer, the person showing their Scamp gets a check for $200.

On a personal note, I originally bought a new 13' Scamp mainly based on my tow vehicle's limited towing capacity. I wound up getting a larger tow vehicle because I didn't feel comfortable towing the 13' with my little 4 cyl vehicle. Don't believe what you hear about what you can and cannot tow with a particular vehicle. Do a little research first. We love our little (2010) 13' Scamp, but if we had it to do over again, we would have a 16" Scamp, or 16' or 17' Casita.
We'd love to trade up to these larger trailers.
Hope this helps !
Larry
Larry Singer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #3

Name: Mike
Trailer: Scamp
South Carolina
Thank you Larry! I actually just spoke with Jim at Scamp and he gave me the number of a couple of local folks. I appreciate your insight on the tow vehicle as well. We are in the same boat as we currently have a 2014 Outback which we really like and do not want to replace it only for towing a trailer.

Thanks again.
altitudewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:28 AM   #4

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Mike,

Are you thinking about new or used?

Scamp13s built after the factory fire in 2006 have 2" of additional interior height (6'3" versus 6'1").

Deluxe Scamp's will have a 54" wide bed. Standard (molded fiberglass) Scamps often have a 44" wide bed but, around 2013, Scamp did start offering the 54" bed as an option in the Scamp13.

Those two things can make a difference in how a 13 foot Scamp feels.

Good luck! [emoji4]

Ray
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:34 PM   #5

Name: Peg
Trailer: 1995 Scamp
Wy & Az
13' or 16'?

I have a 13' Scamp, older, which I love. I decided to take the winter off and hang at an RV park so figured that I probably should have a bathroom. I bought a 17' Casita. I have been in it now for three months and I have to say it has spoiled me. I think your biggest consideration will be if you think you need a bathroom. Getting a 13' w a bathroom makes it pretty tight and it's nice to have a place to sit other than your bed. My Scamp felt almost as big as the Casita if you didn't count the bathroom space. Walking into the Scamp with the couch t the right, made it feel very open. When I get back home in April, I will have to decide which one to keep. That decision will probably be based on if I decide to leave for the winter again. Another big factor is the weight. I had to switch cars to pull the Casita. My Scamp weighs 1,000lbs...the Casita 2,400lbs. Unloaded. I bought a Chevy traverse that pulls 5,200 lbs. just to be safe. Your Outback only pulls 2700lbs so I think a 17' Casita would be out. Most people don't want to pull the 16 footers with under 3500lbs. If you don't care about a bathroom (I take a portapotty )and you're not over 6' tall, the Scamp is a great pull behind.
pegski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:54 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
With an Outback, a 16'er is out, too. The reason is tongue weight. Outbacks are limited to 200 pounds on the hitch. If you stick to the recommended minimum 10% tongue weight ratio, you can only tow a 2000 pound trailer. That means a 13'er. Performance reports I've read from Outback owners pulling 13'ers usually say something like "adequate, slow on hills."

I agree that a bathroom makes a big difference in how a 13'er feels. It means you'll be converting the dinette pretty much every day unless the weather is such that you can spend most of your time outside. But it works for some people very well.

Try to see all the options in person before you decide- standard and deluxe, with and without bath.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp