Carrying water - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #21

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Thanks everyone, Thom when you camp with no electricity how long do your batteries hold, I know it depends a lot on how much you use but I am kind of wondering how hard it is to go a weekend with just battery. Carol thanks for that info, I guess I figured it had to really be flushed over and over to use it. Oh I have sooooo much to learn.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #22

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Lightbulb

Hi Pat, thx for the question(s)!
Well... Cari and my _style_ of camping is a bit rustic for some.
We look at our two rigs Van+TT as tents with wheels

Our rigs have no real _systems_ on board to hog up battery juice.
No Propane. We cook with a chef/restaurant quality 12,000 BUT Butane portable stove. A canister (~$1.75) lasts us from three to four days of cooking/heating water. Winter camping at State Parks we utilize the induction plate.

No AC. Our camping takes place primarily from spring thaw to fall freeze in mild temps (55 to 75). So we are able to keep comfortable without AC or Heat. (During winter camping we go to State Parks with electric and bring the ceramic heater.

All that to say...we use our battery bank (2x55ah Optima AGMs) to run the MaxxFan and charge all our tech-toyz...so...the bank can easily go 10 days draw-down to the ~55% area of bank.

When we ordered our Parkliner Chandler was actually suprised that someone out there would build a trailer just about the way he would...without all the _stuff_.

It's not for everyone, but we enjoy the simplicity of it.
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM   #23

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Thanks Thom, well I have to say I ordered my Parkliner with just about everything. I am too old to start this new endeavor without being comfortable in every way…..Thanks for all the info
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 02:49 PM   #24

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Hi Pat. You should have lots of fun adventures with all the _stuff_ onboard to add to your comfort! And we still pinch ourselves out in the middle of nowhere as we sit inside our little fiberglass egg cozy and safe from the elements looking out the dinette windows and a typical Pacific Northwest forest.

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #25

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Pat, I boondock without connections every time I go camping(well one campground I have gone to 3 times this summer had "very limited" electricity...enough to run my fridge on. I always travel with the full 15 gallon tank, the 6 gallon water heater and 1 or 2 7 gallon water jugs I carry in the forward bathroom. I have real good tasting well water at home and not ready to add any water that I am not sure about. I mainly do 3-5 day trips and that carries me along quite well.

I do have a 100 watt solar panel mounted on my roof and am planning on adding a folding portable one cause I do often end up camping in the tree's. I also do have a yamaha ef2400is generator for air conditioning (fortunatly i didn't need it this summer!) How long the batteries last depends on your energy consumption.

Use all led lights... not using the furnace and you should be good for a few days. The vent fan does use a fair amount of juice on high so keep that in mind if you really need to run it during the day. Add a voltmeter to keep track of battery levels. Soalr is helpful for keeping the batteries topped off but cloudy days or camping under the tree's your not going to get much of a return to your batteries. That is why I want to add a folding panel that I can move around to get it in the sun.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 12:27 AM   #26

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Camping

We carry two gallon jugs of water and don't use the trailer water at all. Many food stores have Glacier or other brand of filtered water and for 25¢ a gallon, using the trailer water system just isn't worth the hassle. For the port-a-potty, we use an old quart detergent plastic bottle which does a better job of rinsing the bowl than the built-in flusher. Plus we can dump the unused water out and not worry about freezing the water tank on the PP. We dump the PP every morning.

If the weather is above freezing and you do hook up your water to shore utilities, be sure to run the water before hooking up. Some people keep a jar with bleach in it to sanitize the faucet. Don't forget that animals like water, too and may have just licked the faucet.Filling my half gallon jug at one park, a couple of insects were sheltering in the faucet opening and if I had just hooked it up to Homelet... Not to mention that many water faucets are just about the right height for a dog to lift his leg against. Also get a water pressure regulator. Luckily, we were sitting outside Homelet when we heard water running. Park water supply pressure varies greatly. Hooking up to water in the winter is not a good idea because your hose will freeze.

There are two excellent articles in this blog dealing with winter:

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/winter_camping.html

The first one is on winterizing and the second on winter camping.

Don't forget that heating the inside of your camper to keep things thawed will not work when driving to your destination. Your camper and tanks will be exposed to 50-60mph winds on the highway, and if the temperature is below freezing, well.

As for hot water for instant coffee, tea, etc, We heat a teakettle and then pour it into a Stanley 2 Quart thermos bottle which keeps it hot all day. We do this at home, too. Use a hot mitt or glove to protect your hand from the steam coming back out the mouth of the bottle.

Just a few hints from our experience. Welcome to FGRV. You are going to make many happy memories.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner