Weight of Trillium Jubilee??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Anne
Trailer: 2004 Scamp
Mass
Registry
Weight of Trillium Jubilee???

Hello Fiberglass Fans,

I am having a dilemma and wondering if anyone knows how to find out the answer. How much does a Trillium Jubilee 1980, weigh? I have conflicting information and could use your expertise
Thanks in advance for any help!
Anne MP
Anne MP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:45 AM   #2

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
It really depends on what's been added/not included on your trailer. Here's a post of a 77 Jubilee that was 1900 lbs.
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...s-33401-2.html

Here's another one listed at 2000 lbs. (scroll down to post 10)

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...han-64379.html

The only way to know for sure is to go to the landfill or a truck station where they have scales and measure your total weight of tow vehicle and trailer and then park the trailer and reweigh the tow vehicle. Simple math after that. Hope this helps.

stef

You might find more answers if you use the search feature on this site. There is the 'search' button just below and a little left of where it says Wecome (to you) at the top of the screen. The secret to good results is using the bottom search bar below where it says Search Site / Google. If you use the upper search bar - it's useless. I just typed in trillium jubilee weight and came up with a lot of results. It will require some reading. Good luck.
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:32 AM   #3

Mass
Registry
Thanks for help on Trillium weight!

Hi Stef,
I will do that. I am learning, naively, to always go deeper with the details when purchasing a trailer. The PO was basically accurate in the weight, but I did not understand that the dry weight does not include two propane tanks, the brake system, Fridge, etc... which brings it up a lot.
When I had it weighed yesterday, it came in at 2200lbs. Thats with personal items, a "temperpedic-ish" foam bed, dishes, pots/pans and way too many books. Minus my current weight (which if I do lose weight, that will go towards saving my engine! ) that puts me up towards the recommended tow weight by Subaru (I have an Outback), of 2700lbs.
Since last night, I have considered taking out the 3-way fridge and adding a small electric-only fridge.
My real dilemma is how close to the recommended tow weight do I want to get because I am afraid of blowing my engine. I wonder if you have any thoughts on that.
I am calling Subuaru to discuss.

again, thanks for your thought, I will research other threads too,
Anne
Old 06-30-2015, 01:00 PM   #4

Name: stefan
Trailer: 76 Trillium 1300
Waterloo, Ontario
If your trailer weighs 2200 lbs and your Subaru can tow 2700 lbs - you are good to go. Towing weight is exactly that - the maximum weight you are safely allowed to tow behind the vehicle. The GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) is the weight of your vehicle (tow vehicle) all loaded up. This number is stated on the VECCI label (usually inside/on the drivers door channel)

Don't add another 500lbs to the trailer and you should be fine. Keep in mind that maximum numbers are usually just that - don't try to walk the fine line of having your trailer weigh in at 2600 lbs. Keep some of the weight in your tow vehicle. Just don't exceed the GVWR of your Subaru. In most cases, if your trailer is loaded correctly, the trailer will add 10% - 15% of the trailer total weight to the tongue of the Subaru which is part of your GVWR of the Subaru. In your case trailer is 2200 (10% is 220 lbs and 15% is 330 lbs) so your trailer should be adding 330 lbs to your Subaru (worst case scenario with trailer loaded properly)

I am not an absolute expert on this subject. You may want to repost your question in the towing section. Advice from Subaru is awesome, and from other members here who have towed with Subaru's - there seems to be many. I would suggest good working brakes on the trailer are an absolute must.

As far as pushing limits I have given you my best advice even though I am planning on towing a Trillium 1300 with a 4 cyl. Rav4. I don't want to reopen a major discussion on what is safe for towing and lawyer talk and whatever.

There is an excellent spreadsheet link in the towing section about what others have done. Link here :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...6oSPkw/pubhtml

Good luck.
I think you're ok. Just my opinion.

Stef
stefman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #5

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Outback towing maximums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne MP View Post
Hi Stef,
I will do that. I am learning, naively, to always go deeper with the details when purchasing a trailer. The PO was basically accurate in the weight, but I did not understand that the dry weight does not include two propane tanks, the brake system, Fridge, etc... which brings it up a lot.
When I had it weighed yesterday, it came in at 2200lbs. Thats with personal items, a "temperpedic-ish" foam bed, dishes, pots/pans and way too many books. Minus my current weight (which if I do lose weight, that will go towards saving my engine! ) that puts me up towards the recommended tow weight by Subaru (I have an Outback), of 2700lbs.
Since last night, I have considered taking out the 3-way fridge and adding a small electric-only fridge.
My real dilemma is how close to the recommended tow weight do I want to get because I am afraid of blowing my engine. I wonder if you have any thoughts on that.
I am calling Subuaru to discuss.

again, thanks for your thought, I will research other threads too,
Anne
Good to read the fine print in your manual. I have a 2011 Outback with 4 cyl and CVT. 2700 lbs max and max of 200 lbs tongue weight,.....but, in hot weather with long climbs (104 F and 5 miles plus) the max weight is cut in half to 1350 lbs).
I am trying to stay conservative on my trailer but 1350 is hard to meet.
Don
Sacramento
Soon to be an HC1 owner.
Dbybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:15 PM   #6

Mass
Registry
Thanks Donald. Good to know! As you already know, the 2014 Outback is rated the same, 2700/200. I didn't know about heat and hill halving (love the "h" apparently) the tow capacity. Scary. Have you thought at all about a transmission cooler? I have been wondering about that having heard that its heat that kills the engine... Calling Subaru tomorrow and have it on my list of questions. I'll let you know what I find out.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:59 PM   #7

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Weight of Trillium Jubilee???

The troublesome number is the 200 pound hitch weight limit. Most towing guidelines for travel trailers recommend at least 10% of total trailer weight on the hitch. Less than that can result in a dangerous tendency to sway. So, for your 2200 pound trailer, you should have 220 pounds on the tongue for optimal stability. That's already over the limit. Putting cargo in the vehicle instead of the trailer won't help because it will likely be in the rear cargo area. As I understand from many discussions here, Subaru is concerned that too much weight on the rear suspension will cause problems with the electronic AWD system.

I'll be interested to hear what Subaru says, but it really looks like you're going to have to pack very lightly.

BTW, my opinion is that swapping a working 2- or 3-way fridge for an electric one is a bad idea- for camping flexibility as well as resale value. A lot of very nice camping places don't have electricity. You might be able to get away with only one propane tank to save weight, but then you'd have to make sure you don't end up too light on the tongue.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:29 PM   #8

Mass
Registry
Thanks Jon. Have decided to unload all my "stuff" and have the trailer weighed again.
Then will essentially weigh what gets put back in very carefully. Have seen people use their home scale by getting on it with an item and getting the weight, and then off and weigh again. Really wanting this trailer means working with it over the long haul and discerning over time what can be done to lighten up... like going from two tanks to one, no extra gear, etc...
If the 3-way fridge does come out, would keep it and have it for next owner if they want it all original. When camping off grid, those 5-day coolers have worked great, have much more capacity and then the propane can be used for cooking and for heat if needed. Just thoughts for now...' Thanks for your perspective cuz taking it out would be a ding on it being resold... heaven forbid!
Like everything else, it seems that living with something for a while and seeing how it is actually used, will give the truest direction.

Now the neighbors are wondering if there is a new "settlement" happening in our driveway... seem to be having our own Egg-Fest.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Ditch one of the propane tanks and you'll shave about 30#, the only time i have ever used more than 1 tank in 2 weeks, was when using the furnace because temps were around 35*
Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:57 PM   #10

Mass
Registry
Thanks Joe,
And have you ever heard of people replacing the trailer frame itself and getting an aluminum one. Wondering how much that would help drop the weight. I am sure its very expensive... and can only happen in the future, but its a thought.

Anne
Old 07-06-2015, 08:57 AM   #11

Name: Bee
Trailer: Trillium Jubilee
PE
Registry
Weight of a jubilee

Hi Anne,
My Jubilee spec sheet states it weighs 2000lbs....not sure with or without tanks daft, but I'm guessing without! Mine is a 1980 Jubilee.

Queen Bee
Bee in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trillium, weight