Ideal tow vehicle for towing Scamp 19 - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #61

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Off topic, but since we've beat this one to death, it probably doesn't matter...

Would someone explain the practice of inserting several rows of dashes before starting a post? I've observed it before but don't have a clue...
---------------------------------------------------------------
Jon, you may be referring to some of my posts, esp since your post was just below mine. I do it because sometimes it is hard on some sites to tell the post from the reply. I'm on some sites where you can put your reply before or after your reference to the last post. And on some, you can insert your replies to various questions or statements right into the (recopied) last post. Hard to tell which is which. On this fbRV site, most people hit the quote button so the quote is in a box, all separate and easy to tell when the reply starts. I also tend to use more indenting, spacing and full spelling and grammar, rather than , " Wat rv r u driving. ".
As I type this, there is my line of dashes separating our posts , but no box appears with the quote. (yet? ) DavidG in Fresno, Sonora
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:30 PM   #62

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
As I type this, there is my line of dashes separating our posts , but no box appears with the quote. (yet? ) DavidG in Fresno, Sonora
If you look at the text you are quoting when replying it uses BBcode that is common on many forums, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBCode

The start of the quote says QUOTE followed by =username;postnumber all in square brackets,
the end of the quote says /QUOTE in square brackets.
not using the username and post number will give you a straight quote box.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #63

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Also on the SOI forum that many of our Scampers frequent, the whole thing behaves very differently. It is a matter of getting used to it and sometimes takes a little bit of figuring. No big deal.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #64

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just wondering... as you say, no big deal.

I believe the quote boxes serve an important function- they allow the reader to look back at the full context of the quoted material. Statements sometimes get taken out of context and distorted.

Back to regular programming... how silly to think a discussion of tow vehicles is ever done!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #65

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
I believe the quote boxes serve an important function- they allow the reader to look back at the full context of the quoted material. Statements sometimes get taken out of context and distorted. Actually, there is nothing sacred about the quote box. It can be edited to say whatever you want. And attributed to the OP.
And that, is a misquote.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:50 PM   #66

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
And that, is a misquote.
It is, but when I click on the arrow, your misquote is exposed. Not so otherwise.

Quoting someone, in full or in part, without using the quote box is like quoting a source in a paper without a citation. It deprives the reader of the means to verify its accuracy and context.

And that is not a misquote.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #67

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I always use the quote box, but I will edit it to the part I'm addressing. I find posts without the quote box can be quite confusing.

Tags
scamp