Major fiberstream repairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Name: Lise
Trailer: 1984 Fiber Stream
Washington
Registry
Major fiberstream repairs

I have sent this to Victor Benz as a PM but since I don't know if he is around perhaps someone else could help or give me their input.

"Victor, my name is Lise (Lalise) and I own a 1983 Fiberstream. Last year my trailer was hit by a semi on the side and it sheared the edge of the water heater. Long story but I didn’t pursue it since the heater was old and very difficult to light so I had planned to replace it anyway.

I bought a new one that turned out to be larger than the original so I have to enlarge the opening but I don’t see a problem there since I already removed the heater that was not working and I bought electric blankets and a Mr Heater if it gets too cold for the blankets or don’t have electricity.

After I removed the water heater I noticed the wood floor was rotten through and you could see the ground underneath. I decided that I would have to remove and replace it. I also removed the battery from the aluminum box, the battery is really heavy and difficult to remove to unhook the wires for safety so I decided to purchase a black box to store the battery in. Why did you have a vent in your battery box to the outside of the trailer both on the side and the floor of the trailer and why did you have this particular box not the black ones available everywhere? Should I add more venting to my box? I was planning to either remove the aluminum box and use it to store accessories for the sewer line.

I looked at the pictures in your album and was impressed at the extent and details you displayed. I cannot dream of emulating your work because I don’t have your skill, tools or knowledge. However I am not afraid to try something new and learn. My drawbacks are a bad knee ready for a replacement; time constraint (I want to have it done so that I can go to Bandon); weather (pacific NW) rain, rain, rain and lets not forget, unanticipated problems i.e. I was only replacing the water heater.

I have removed the water tank, pump, and the alternator box and I also dismantled the frame for the benches and plan to use the parts for templates. It will not look as good as your finished product but I am hoping that it will be solid and functional as I use the area as a king size bed when I am not alone or a twin bed with both mattresses stacked on the fwd side with mini benches when alone.

Right now I am working at removing the 2 pieces of plywood at the fwd end of the trailer, not an easy task with a bad knee, and will subsequently replace them and fiberglass over them, I will lay up either linoleum or try Allure over some aluminum covered insulation, the stuff they use to insulate home water heater with of perhaps instead lay some sheets of styrofoam. What type of fiberglass did you use, I purchased some 1.5 oz mat. Did you do 1 layer or more?

I liked how you framed the floor around the tank and battery box with fiberglass wrapped pieces of wood to anchor them solid.

Did you make the luggage door or did you buy it?

Thank you for posting all the pictures and I hope you can help with some of my questions or other insights."
lalise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
"sometimes when you are up to your neck with alligators you forget that your initial goal was to drain the swamp" good luck
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"sometimes when you are up to your neck with alligators you forget that your initial goal was to drain the swamp" good luck
I didn't forget, just didn't know about the alligators that's what happen when the water in the pool is murky. By the way, this is the Pacific Northwest and no alligators just salmons.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalise View Post
... perhaps someone else could help or give me their input.

I decided to purchase a black box to store the battery in. Why did you have a vent in your battery box to the outside of the trailer both on the side and the floor of the trailer and why did you have this particular box not the black ones available everywhere? Should I add more venting to my box?
The black battery boxes that are "available everywhere" are meant to be mounted outside the living space, such as on the Tongue or the Rear Bumper. The aluminum battery boxes that Fiber Stream mounts inside the living space are vented through louvers in the access door. Casita (and Oliver) also uses such a battery box with a ventilated outside access door.

Victor's battery box is not accessible from outside the trailer, and since it is mounted inside the living space, he has one that is designed to be vented, like a refrigerator or furnace with 2 vents, with both an air intake (floor) and an air exhaust (side).
Old 06-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Thank you Frederick, first where does one find one like his and can I just make the holes to vent the black box outside? I may have to hook it up to the tongue if I have enough cable lengths. The metal box was too small, it was almost impossible to pull the battery out and I want to install a kill switch and there is just no room.
I am now removing the plywood on the forward end of the trailer and will go get the replacement boards tomorrow. I had to cut around the bolts with a vibrating tool so I have to figure out how to remove the rusted bolts so that I can replace them. My husband is in Taiwan so I am by myself.
While removing the carpet in the closet tonight, I just discovered that the aft end is also rotted. I am not removing the bathroom floor so I will just get some of the stuff that ends rot in the closet and will leave the bathroom floor for the next owner to deal with. Have you looked at your floors under the carpet yet? I just didn't expect this, oh well, a learning experience. Is it summer yet in your neck of the wood, it is cold and wet here. I think I am getting tired of the no summer we have been getting lately. It didn't bother me when I was working but it is bothering me now that I am a retired arthritic old broad.

Thanks
Old 06-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Hi Lise, I did send you a PM. With respect to the old bolts, the only way to get them off is to cut them off, grinder or dremel tool with a cutting wheel.

Your comment on carpet is exactly why I didn't go that way. Lino is much easier to clean and does not retain water. My Fiber Stream did not have a carpeted floor when I bought it.

Vic
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #7

Name: kathy
Trailer: fiber stream
California
looking for help repairing ceiling in a fiber stream. anybody have any suggestions?
kathyhart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberstream