82 Burro 13' - purchase in the works - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2018, 12:25 AM   #1

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
82 Burro 13' - purchase in the works

Check's in the mail.

Long distance purchase in the works. Owner has been helpful in answering any questions I had. Like most older things, it's in need of some work.
  • Exterior, I'm told, had been painted in the past and it's failing.
  • There's small fiberglass repairs needed inside.
  • Soft spot on part of the floor
  • Windows may leak
  • I'm sure the wiring could use some updating

There's some good things. I'm told the tires and bearings are a couple years old. I'm told the frame is solid. Cushions, or at least the covers, are a couple years old.

There's no AC (wife really wanted) so going to look into adding a rooftop type. A heater/furnace would be useful too. I'd like to have it as off-grid capable as possible. I own a sailboat I've been fixing up so I feel I'm capable to do the work the trailer needs.

My daughter is 16 months old and I think she'd like doing outdoor activities as she gets older.

Next things though, is getting it home and finding a place to store it and work on it. Going to try out uship for the delivery. Work space will take time. Looking forward to getting the wife and daughter out camping.

* Attached pictures are from the current owner.
Attached Thumbnails
00T0T_lrDvoMUj2tm_1200x900.jpg   00g0g_jbHrdxhTB0K_600x450.jpg  

00S0S_2z3TfyUjTj7_1200x900.jpg   00808_9pVeexRFTFc_1200x900.jpg  

Dan-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Congrats Dan. Don't believe the roof will take the weight of an AC unit. You'll probably have to go with a window type unit. There are threads on that on the site to check out for info.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #3

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Congrats Dan. Don't believe the roof will take the weight of an AC unit. You'll probably have to go with a window type unit. There are threads on that on the site to check out for info.
Thanks,

I've read the roof of these trailers may be limited. Part of what I'm going to research further. Will have to see things for myself to get an idea of what I'm going to do
Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
New Jersey
Food for thought regarding the A/C since rooftop is unlikely...think about a small mini-split. VERY quiet...but you have to find an appropriate place to mount condenser and indoor unit. I recessed my indoor section in a front cabinet, but that might not be an option for you.

On Boler:
www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/using-a-mini-split-a-c-heat-pump-on-your-unit-58009.html

On Scamp:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ces-79339.html

On our Escape 19:
Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Escape Trailer Owners Community
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRq...1R4nHj84Exw_iw
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:35 AM   #5

Northern VA
Split unit is a nice idea. Saw those used in many places while deployed to Afghanistan. Thanks.
Old 09-12-2018, 06:53 PM   #6

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-NS27 View Post
Split unit is a nice idea. Saw those used in many places while deployed to Afghanistan. Thanks.
Off subject, but I wanted to extend my humble thank you for your part in keeping us safe in this USofA. Believe me, your sacrifice doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. THANK YOU!

BTW, just based on the previous owner's pictures, your new adventuremobile looks to be in really great shape, considering its age. You're going to have so much fun (with the occasional blip) getting it in shape, then afterward on your adventures.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:21 PM   #7

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Since I see the comment "soft spot in floor" I'd do some reading up on floor repairs. I am not familiar with Burro's design, but repairing a floor on some brands is much harder than other brands. There also seems to be a trend, where a "small" soft spot can actually be a large area of rot.

Floor rot is one of the weaknesses of older molded FG trailers. The design has pretty much eliminated the chances of rot in the walls and roof. The floor is the one area that can fail. In addition, much of the time, they rot from the inside out, due to plumbing leaks, or leaks around windows.

Just two of the many threads on Burro floor repairs. Note, floor issues are not unique to Burro, you could do a search via google, and insert the name of just about any of the manufacturers and find threads on them.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...oor-24028.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ent-39814.html
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #8

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
Off subject, but I wanted to extend my humble thank you for your part in keeping us safe in this USofA. Believe me, your sacrifice doesn't go unnoticed or unappreciated. THANK YOU!
Thanks! It's been a rough ride but my time came to an end in April when I retired after 20yrs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
BTW, just based on the previous owner's pictures, your new adventuremobile looks to be in really great shape, considering its age. You're going to have so much fun (with the occasional blip) getting it in shape, then afterward on your adventures.
I'm looking forward to getting it fixed up as needed and making it my own. Doesn't look too bad so far. Some interesting projects on this forum that will be helpful, I'm sure. Maybe one day, I'll join in on the get-togethers.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:28 PM   #9

Northern VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty bill View Post
Since I see the comment "soft spot in floor" I'd do some reading up on floor repairs. I am not familiar with Burro's design, but repairing a floor on some brands is much harder than other brands. There also seems to be a trend, where a "small" soft spot can actually be a large area of rot.

Floor rot is one of the weaknesses of older molded FG trailers. The design has pretty much eliminated the chances of rot in the walls and roof. The floor is the one area that can fail. In addition, much of the time, they rot from the inside out, due to plumbing leaks, or leaks around windows.
I've seen the same kind of damage from wood cores on sailboats. In that respect, I'm familiar with what will be needed. I've found a couple blogs that go into full shell off floor repair. I'll just have to see how things are when I get to see it.
Old 09-14-2018, 07:52 AM   #10

Trailer: Lite House
Registry
It took me several months of nights and weekends to replace the floor in the LiteHouse. It was work but the results are worth it.
Davie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 11:10 AM   #11

Trailer: 1982 Burro
Window leaks etc.

I did not see any comments on our window leaks. What I did was make sure the window drains were free of Arizona silt. I then took out the windows and cleaned the window and were it was seated on the trailer. Then I reset them with butal puddy and used slightly larger metal screws so I could then seat them tight. Finally I used the best RV calking I could buy (not silicone) and sealed the top and sides of the window, not the bottoms. That seemed to solve my problems. Also I replaced the roof vent and sealed all the screws with the super calking. I would not trust an old roof vent. Finally I fixed a weak spot in the floor by taking out the bad section and replacing it with fiberglass. The weak spot would worry more that anything else. I have replaced the sink water pump with two pumps one for outside water and another boat pump for the inside water. The one that came with it seemed to fail every two years. Replaced the Ice box with a small propane electric frig. Took out the hanging closet and put in a set of plastic drawers. Took out the kids bunk bed system and put in a set of drawers. Took out the table system put in a memory foam matress and two plastic drawers. Rewired it with 3 more outlets including one ourside and put a small electric panel in with two 20 amp breakers. Made a lightweight awning that attaches to two eye bolts on the trailer and is held up on the other side by two poles. Replaced the floor in trailer with new flooring. Other than that it is stock.
Noel Gilbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 11:04 AM   #12

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
Congrats on your Burro purchase, Dan. I too recently purchased a 1982 Burro and am in the process of doing a restoration. Would love to share information with you as you proceed. My Burro was already placed on a new frame, new axle and wheels, and new epoxied marine plywood floor. Where I could use some help-the inside is totally gutted. I’m going to put in new bed, kitchen, wiring, floor cover, and storage. Lots of fiberglass repair too so I’m learning about that now. Previous owner had already done a lot of work but I could sure use some original measurements for counters beds, and cabinets. I will also be adding as much insulation as I can because condensation can be a problem, especially in cold weather. cdawill2@gmail.com
cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #13

Northern VA
I'll see what measurements I get from mine when I see it in a few weeks.
Old 09-23-2018, 08:00 PM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Burro
Idaho
Thanks, Dan.,
cda will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #15

Northern VA
Here's an update.
Delivered late last night and just getting a look through it today.

https://youtu.be/qAnNF4LyyAA
Old 10-21-2018, 09:05 AM   #16

Northern VA
Tucked away for now

Until I think of what/how I'm going to work on this and until I take care of other things, I have it stored away in a self storage lot.

Did some scrubbing, what I could reach anyway and it does look better but it will still need repainted at some point.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20181020_100948.jpg   IMG_20181020_100945.jpg  

Tags
burro