ParkLiner Options - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Post ParkLiner Options

I'm trying to decide which options I want and could use some input.

Following is a list of options I got from Cameron. A few I'm not interested in, but I'll include them anyway for discussion. I believe this is the most current option list and supersedes the one on the web site.
  • Dual Burner Range - I want. No question.
  • Refrigerator - I want. Cameron said it didn't have a freezer compartment. Anyone know why? I didn't think to ask. Anyone have an option for a freezer?
  • Cover/Food Tray for Range - Cheap enough where I guess it is worth having. Anyone have one?
  • Tile behind galley - Too expensive for my taste.
  • Fold out galley extension - Should be handy for cooking, so I'm getting it.
  • Magic table/couch - Yes. Allows conversion from table to queen bed.
  • Bunk - Not interested.
  • Corner Shelf/chaise - Yes, gives me chaise.
  • Flush toilet - Yes
  • Stainless steel sink - yes
  • Furnace - yes
  • Hot water heater - LP only or LP/120 VAC? I don't know which to get. Ideas? LP/120 VAC is $225 more.
  • Air Conditioner - is the one they provide powerful enough for the South?
  • Screen door - yes
  • Dual Batteries - Yes. I'm going with dual batteries and dual propane tanks because it is not a straightforward upgrade to add a 2nd battery or tank later. If you order just 1, the plate they sit on isn't large enough to add a 2nd.
  • Dual propane tanks - yes, see above
  • Outside faucet - I think having a hose for an outside shower or for washing feet would be handy
  • Styled aluminum wheels - No
  • Keyed Deadbolt Entry Lock - Could use some input.
  • Additional 12 VDC receptacle - I don't see this listed as standard feature, so is this additional or only?
  • Additional 120 VAC receptacle - Are the standard receptacles singles or doubles? Do you have a need for additional receptacle?
  • Maxx Air Fan - Yes.
  • Flooring Upgrade - why might I want or need this?
So my main questions are:
  • Which water heater - Sometimes I will have electricity and sometimes not.
  • Is there a good option for small freezer?
  • Is A/C powerful enough for summer in the South?
  • Should I get the deadbolt installed by PL?
  • Do you find a need for additional 12VDC and 120VAC receptacles?
  • Reason for floor upgrade?
I've never had an RV, so I could use your experience. I think 1 or 2 months is probably how long a trip will be.

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
I've never had an RV, so I could use your experience. I think 1 or 2 months is probably how long a trip will be.

Thanks
Dont have a PL but will give you my take/experience with another brand and what I might do.

Water heater - if you can afford it I would go with the Electric/propane option. Have a propane only and find I will if only staying in a spot for a day or two especially if pulling in late in the day I can not be bothered to go outside and light the hot water tank - just boil water on the stove for dishes as needed. If I was connected to electrical and paying the tab at RV park for it and if I only had to hit a switch to make hot water happen I think I would really like that option. ;-)

Freezer - I have one and like it. Its really small though so not great for much of anything other than a couple of freezer packs that I use in the main fridge compartment when traveling (dont travel with the fridge on). I do though sacrifice the freezer packs from time to time to accommodate a small container of ice cream Its an option that I could probable live without but one I rather like and would look for one in my next trailer for sure.

Deadbolt - YES - the simple lock handles are not the greatest on any of the trailers. Although as its been pointed out most of our trailers are pretty easily broken into if someone really wants to so the dead bolt may simple be in reality for our on psychological well being.

Additional 12VDC and 120VAC - Can I get by with one 12v plug ? Yes would 2 be better - Perhaps. It depends a great deal on what you will be using it for. I use mine for charging up cell and camera batteries and my ipad only when dry docking as well as my battery monitor. I only have two inside 120 plugs - located at the end of each kitchen counters and find thats enough for things such as a toaster and coffee makers etc when plugged into power. Have another located elsewhere for the TV and DVD player. I did add an outside one though and very happy I did that as it does come in handy for many things.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:14 PM   #3
k8t

Name: Katie
Trailer: ParkLiner 2013
California
We're pretty happy with the options we included.

We didn't feel any need for a freezer but being able to have a an ice pack and a pint of ice cream on board would be great! We satisfied our cravings with ice cream cones from local shops. The fridge itself stayed very dependably cold once we got the hang of the settings

The galley extension came in very handy during meal prep. We didn't use it all the time but really enjoyed having the option.

The magic table/couch is very versatile. We love it! It gives the option of a full table, half table, or no table in a nice conversation area. And the queen bed as well. Worth every penny!

Outside faucet is so wonderful to have if you have dogs or do any beach camping. Keeps most of the sand outside the trailer.

Keyed deadbolt lock is nice and we liked the idea of having it available from day 1 so we wouldn't have to install it later ourselves. We felt very secure and it feels quite sturdy.

Additional outlets was another debate right up until the end and then we didn't get them. Turns out we're fine. The layout of the existing outlets provided is very good. They are all double outlets. We were both telecommuting from the trailer using laptops and local wifi when we stopped. The outlet arrangement was fine. No 12v but our power chargers are regular 120 anyway so didn't need the 12v. Others use the 12v for assorted meters and gadgets. We haven't gotten there yet.

We went with the electric and propane water heater for same reasons Carol mentioned.

We have the flooring upgrade and it's a very nice looking laminate. We have no regrets but I think I'd be just as happy with the vinyl that it comes with.

Happy shopping!
k8t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8t View Post
No 12v but our power chargers are regular 120 anyway so didn't need the 12v.
I bit off topic but K8t an enquiring mind wants to know if your trailer has a built in inverter that allows you to use the 120 plugs for your laptops when the trailer isnt connected to power? if so what type is it?
Old 10-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #5
k8t

California
Good question

I don't know the brand but it is described as a:
45 Amp power converter w/120VAC/12VDC, breakers & fuses respectively.

We used the laptops at night when we were plugged in at KOA type campgrounds. Now I'm trying to think back if we used them at all when we were not hooked up to electricity. I don't think we did.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
I bit off topic but K8t an enquiring mind wants to know if your trailer has a built in inverter that allows you to use the 120 plugs for your laptops when the trailer isnt connected to power? if so what type is it?
Unless something was added, there is not an inverter built into the PL. The Power Converter is a standard PD-4045. One would need a separate (portable or other type) inverter to generate 120VAC from the batteries.
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
k8t

California
Now I'm confused!!!
Do we need a 12v outlet if we have a converter? Can we plug in a laptop and charge up while working even if not plugged into a local electricity source?

I'm pretty electrically challenged so please don't use me as a reference for this kind of thing. I can relay what's in print in front of me but please don't ask me to interpret.

Edit: Just saw your post Scott. I'll have to check our paperwork to see what we actually have. Can't do that until we get the trailer back from our RV guy.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:34 PM   #8

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrscottyg View Post
Unless something was added, there is not an inverter built into the PL. The Power Converter is a standard PD-4045. One would need a separate (portable or other type) inverter to generate 120VAC from the batteries.
Thanks Scott, I am looking at my options for replacing my converter and thought perhaps PL had put in a product I hadnt considered. So safe to assume that k8t is like the rest of us with a standard converters and needs a small inverter plugged into a 12v plug in order to be able to tap into the trailers battery power to run a laptop, when the trailer not plugged in.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #9

Name: asdf
Trailer: asdf
Alabama
K8t, no the converter only functions when plugged in. It charges the batteries and powers AC sockets, again only when plugged in. So when off the grid you will need 12V to run an inverter, or wire in a dedicated inverter which powers AC sockets. Read up on Sine vs simulated Sine. Sine is expensive but will power anything, simulated is cheap but there are a handful of things which object to the squarish waveform.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Quote:
So my main questions are:
Thanks
We wish the gas/electric water heater option was available when we ordered ours, for all the reasons Carol cited. Can be a pain to light in the dark, rain or strong wind. Otherwise, it heats quickly and once the water is up to temperature it rarely comes on unless you're using a lot of hot water. The pilot light is enough to maintain temperature and we have never had it blow out once it was lit. We do not travel with it lit. I wish we knew about the Maxx Air fan as well. The Fantastic is okay for up to a light sprinkle but not for serious rain. Outside faucet and counter extension were not available either when we ordered our PL. I plan on building a cutting board/cover to go over the stove for extra food prep space otherwise, we rely on the side dinette. We did not opt for the bathroom sink as we didn't want to lose the closet space. Besides, the kitchen sink is close enough that the shower-head will reach to it.

We have found that when running the refrigerator on propane, even on the lowest setting, the unit acts like a freezer when the ambient temperature drops into the low 40s or below. It will turn a can of soda into slush and freeze the juice and coffee creamer solid. Not so finicky on electric. We run it on DC when traveling and AC if the campground has electric.

The A/C is not a real powerhouse, but then most people confuse air conditioning with refrigeration. It got us through a couple of 87 degree, 99% humidity days in southern PA in early September. Having dry air was a lifesaver. After sunset, we switched over to the Fantastic and were comfortable.

The deadbolt is a must. With just the lever latch locked, we can wiggle the door enough to make it pop open. Not so when the deadbolt is engaged.

We had a double 12v receptacle installed in the cabinet over the stove and use it for the battery monitor. 12v receptacles are not standard equipment. The two duplex outlets in the interior have been adequate for our needs so far. We have not had occasion to use the exterior AC outlet.

We are pleased with the standard sheet vinyl flooring. Cleans easily and should be easy to replace someday if it becomes damaged or worn.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Now I'm confused!!!
Do we need a 12v outlet if we have a converter? Can we plug in a laptop and charge up while working even if not plugged into a local electricity source?

I'm pretty electrically challenged so please don't use me as a reference for this kind of thing. I can relay what's in print in front of me but please don't ask me to interpret.

Edit: Just saw your post Scott. I'll have to check our paperwork to see what we actually have. Can't do that until we get the trailer back from our RV guy.
No worry k8t, if Scott is correct in regards to the converter in your trailer and reading other info on the PL I suspect he is then your 110 power outlets will not work when you are not connected to power at a campground. Unless you have had an inverter installed. Your 12v lights and pumps will all work off course either way. Those who have a standard converter and no built in inverter simply plug in a small inverter into the 12v jack to power up items that are not dedicated 12v appliances.
Old 10-17-2013, 01:55 PM   #12

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian M. in NY View Post
Outside faucet and counter extension were not available either when we ordered our PL. .
In regards to the outside faucet I can say that is one item I would probable not spend much if any money adding. Had one on a camper that rarely got used. I used a water splitter instead and had a short hose attached to it for cleaning off the dog & shoes off when needed. Still carry/use that when if needed. When dry camping I use a simple solar shower bag for rinsing items off outside. To me the outside water faucet is just one more water connection that could leak down the road and one more thing to have to remember to winterize....
Old 10-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #13
k8t

California
Thanks John and Carol! That makes a lot of sense.

Now I really wish we'd gone ahead and had at least one 12v outlet installed. We're not retired yet so we still often take some of our work with us when we head out of town, and several of our favorite places do not have electrical hook-ups.

I think we'll need to look into having one installed at some point. In fact I think I'll go back and research some previous posts. There was a discussion about installing 12v outlets within the last few months.

I don't want to hijack Huck's thread here so will ask additional questions about this in a new thread.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
I don't want to hijack Huck's thread here so will ask additional questions about this in a new thread.
good news is Huck now knows why he wants a 12v plug
Old 10-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #15

Name: Scott
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner
Georgia
Quote:
[*] Which water heater - Sometimes I will have electricity and sometimes not.[*]Is there a good option for small freezer?[*]Is A/C powerful enough for summer in the South? [*]Should I get the deadbolt installed by PL? [*]Do you find a need for additional 12VDC and 120VAC receptacles? [*]Reason for floor upgrade?
Water Heater - Carol is exactly right. If you're plugged in, do all your heating and cooling with electricity, period.

The A/C does pretty well. There aren't any other options that will fit into the space provided.

We don't have the deadbolt, but I think the door hardware has changed since our unit was built.

The standard 3 dual outlet receptacles are more than adequate for us. I couldn't imagine having more than six devices plugged in at the same time. If we did, we would just use a surge protector strip with a half dozen outlets. We don't have any 12v outlets. This hasn't been an issue for us as most of our camping is with hookups.

We opted for a different floor for aesthetics. The pebble design as standard was not our favorite. I drop shipped some vinyl sheet flooring (natural maple hardwood pattern) from a local flooring outlet and PL put that in for us. I did not consider this an upgrade, just an option that wasn't advertised when we ordered.

Good luck!
mrscottyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
k8t

California
Huck-just another FYI about galley work space...

My husband mentioned to Chandler that he was considering building a cutting board that could nest flatly into the kitchen sink, as another way to add work space to the galley. Good news is that, according to Chandler, there's one already commercially available at places like Campworld that fit the exact dimensions of the Parkliner sink. Sounds like a pretty standard item available for rv's. We look forward to looking into that!
Old 10-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #17

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Deadbolt and larger fridge! If your at all handy you can add 12 volt socket. The big dinette I keep down for the queen sized bed. For $5 at goodwill I got a serving tray I use to go over the stove for more counter space. Sink in the bathroom is a waste...the kitchen us 2 steps away.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:33 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My Escape has a Suburban water heater ( propane only ). I don't have to go outside to light it. I flip a switch inside.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #19

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
My Escape has a Suburban water heater ( propane only ). I don't have to go outside to light it. I flip a switch inside.
Glenn, I saw that on another Escape recently and wondered is that an option that can be added or only newer Suburban water heater option - I have an Atwood but its only a few years old .... couldnt find anything on line about it... perhaps not .
Old 10-17-2013, 02:46 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
My trailer is 2008. It was in the trailer, as is.
Escape does offer the gas/electric version as an option.

I still wouldn't pay extra for the dual fuel myself. Mostly, I camp without hookups and in any case, I only turn it on for half an hour prior to needing hot water and usually don't turn it on again after that. The water in the tank stays hot for a long time.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner