Andersen 3380 'No-Sway' WDH & Parkliner? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 10:39 AM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Andersen 3380 'No-Sway' WDH & Parkliner?

I need to get a hitch ordered today or tomorrow at latest. I am picking up my Parkliner in a couple of weeks, and a hitch would be a big help! My tow vehicle will be a '96 Chevy Blazer.

Deryk mentioned the Anderson 3380 hitch in an earlier post. Money is an issue, but if an extra $200 means less white knuckling, then it is worth the extra $200.

My questions:
- Is this a good pick? If not, what do you recommend?
- Do I have to buy a separate wiring kit? If so, what do you recommend?

ETA: Just got off the phone with Tom from Parkliner. He says according to Chandler, I don't need weight distribution or sway bars. Any comments?

Thanks
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:12 PM   #2

Name: Ken
Trailer: 2015 Scamp 16' deluxe 2008 FJ Cruiser
Pennsylvania
Hitch

How far do you need to tow to get it home? you could wait and see. I have a Andersen hitch and love it for my 16' Scamp. I drove my trailer home from Backas to Pa. I noticed sway on the way. Andersen ships fast it doesn't come with wireing. For all my trailer needs I buy from etrailer.com. Do you have a brake controller?
Ken
Ken in Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I would wait until you tow it some more to get a feel. W/D or sway control is not always needed. They normally are used to fix a problem that may not exist. Besides, an Andersen runs closer to $500 new.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
How far do you need to tow to get it home? you could wait and see. I have a Andersen hitch and love it for my 16' Scamp. I drove my trailer home from Backas to Pa. I noticed sway on the way. Andersen ships fast it doesn't come with wireing. For all my trailer needs I buy from etrailer.com. Do you have a brake controller?
Ken
No, need a brake controller too. I understand why I need these things, just don't have a clue how to select a hitch, wiring, and brake controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I would wait until you tow it some more to get a feel. W/D or sway control is not always needed. They normally are used to fix a problem that may not exist. Besides, an Andersen runs closer to $500 new.
I don't have a hitch now, so I have to buy something to tow the trailer back home. What I'm worried about is buying a $200 hitch and then deciding I need to replace it.

I'm having some work done on the Blazer next Monday and my mechanic will install hitch, wiring, and brake controller (and transmission cooler) if I have them available.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:48 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I was looking to tow my 17' Escape with a '94 Ford Explorer. But, I would have had to have a proper hitch, wiring and brake controller installed. Bought a new RAV4 because I didn't want to invest in the Explorer ( low mileage, always serviced ). Gave the Explorer to my daughter. Two weeks later the head gasket blew.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #6

Pennsylvania
Huck
Do you have the hitch on the car If you do all you need is the ball mount with the right size ball. This can be had for 25 bucks. The wiring will need to be 7 pin for brakes w a controller. The Andersen can come latter and you are only out 25 dollars. You will still need the other items mentioned.
Ken
Old 01-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #7

Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken in Pa View Post
Huck
Do you have the hitch on the car If you do all you need is the ball mount with the right size ball. This can be had for 25 bucks. The wiring will need to be 7 pin for brakes w a controller. The Andersen can come latter and you are only out 25 dollars. You will still need the other items mentioned.
Ken
No hitch. That's why I need to make a decision before I can pick up the trailer.
Old 01-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #8

Pennsylvania
Trust me etrailer.com can guide you in what you need these are some smart cookies to talk to. Just call and ask you can buy latter.
Ken
Old 01-21-2014, 03:18 PM   #9

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
There's no need to make a decision per W/D prior to putting a hitch on a 1996 Blazer. Nearly all the bolt-on 2'' hitch receivers at this Etrailer page, for example, would allow the use of a W/D system, which systems are actually made up of the components one slides into the receiver.

Not sure which 1996 Blazer you have, but tow capacity can be as high as 5500 lbs. Assuming an allowable 10% tongue weight of 550 pounds, the Parkliner shouldn't even squat the rear end, let alone necessitate the "redistribution" of weight from that point to other axles.

If I were in your shoes, I'd buy/install one of those hitches and show up for the trailer with a twenty dollar drawbar (ballmount) with whatever "drop" is appropriate for your Blazer to tow the Parkliner level.

This especially due to the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
ETA: Just got off the phone with Tom from Parkliner. He says according to Chandler, I don't need weight distribution or sway bars. Any comments?

Thanks
Per the above:

I'd give some weight to this opinion, which may in fact be an advisory against the use of weight distribution on the Parkliner. Some folks don't realize that a W/D hitch transfers weight not just to the front of the tug, but back onto the trailer axles as well. Some trailer frames aren't suited to take that extra stress. Trillium, for example specifically warns against the use of W/D for that reason.

Again, I recommend an ordinary ball hitch for the pickup/drive home at least. Take the trip home easy if you're new at this...get a feel for how she tows. You can always add a more complex system later if you decide it's necessary to do so; and onto the hitch receiver you've already purchased. Nothin' wasted except whatever you spend on the drawbar/ballmount.
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:52 PM   #10

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
I am no towing expert, but I totally agree with Francesca. Your tow vehicle is up to the task, the manufacturer says you don't need a WDH, and they can be added later, if you do need it. The required 2" receiver that needs to be installed on your Blazer works equally well with or without a WDH. The only part that you would have to replace is the $25 ball and drawbar.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #11
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Huck... realize the tow rating has little to nothing to do with how well a vehicle will handle a trailer.

The older Blazer has a short 107" wheelbase, sits high (high center of gravity) and has low tech suspension. If Parkliner allows a WDH I would be looking at one for sure. It will add to the safety and ease of towing.

The Adrsn is a new and controversial. I would look at time tested WDH's like Reese, Easy Lift, or Equalizer. Easy Lift is designed to be gentle on the TV and trailer.

If you are new to the towing fray suggest consulting with a towing professional. Getting the connection details right the 1st time sure saves a lot of probable headaches and expense down the road.

Good luck with your towing venture.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:04 PM   #12

Registry
P.S.

I just looked at the Anderson 3380 and...YIKES- whatever type hitch you decide you need, do not buy this one!

According to this link, that puppy is spec'd for trailers up to 14,000 pounds and 1400 pounds of tongue weight. That is way, wa-a-a-a-y too big/much for a Parkliner. An oversized W/D can cause more problems than it "solves".

If you decide you must have W/D, please select one in the proper weight range...here's one guide to selecting W/D hitch
Old 01-21-2014, 04:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huck View Post
No, need a brake controller too. I understand why I need these things, just don't have a clue how to select a hitch, wiring, and brake controller
The Tekonsha P2 Brake Controller always seems to win the most popular contest when the topic comes up here and on other forums. Its worked great for me for the past 6 years and wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Huck;438191

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Truth is no one can say that for sure one way or another. A great many here including myself have towed thousands of miles without a WD and a lot don't tow with a Sway bar either and many that do use a sway bar only do so as an added safety item - for that one off situation -which is how it should be. If you need to tow with a sway bar to keep it all inline then something isn't right about your total set up.

Until you hook up the trailer and pull it no one can say that you "have to have" a WD or if you can get away without one. As been suggested the design of your tug may mean you will have a much better tow using a WD but again until you try it you dont really know that for a fact. Just be sure you keep the nose of the trailer level or slightly down when you first pull it to avoid the wag caused by nose up.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:34 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca Knowles View Post
P.S.

I just looked at the Anderson 3380 and...YIKES- whatever type hitch you decide you need, do not buy this one!

According to this link, that puppy is spec'd for trailers up to 14,000 pounds and 1400 pounds of tongue weight. That is way, wa-a-a-a-y too big/much for a Parkliner. An oversized W/D can cause more problems than it "solves".

If you decide you must have W/D, please select one in the proper weight range...here's one guide to selecting the right W/D hitch.
Un-yikes yourself a bit, Francesca. The Andersen weighs just 70 lbs and is so adjustable, it will work with an itty bitty 13'er. It uses chains instead of bars for weight distribution. For a light trailer with little tongue weight, one just does not tighten the chains much. So it doesn't put much stress on things. And actually there are comments on rv.net which lead me to conclude that the Andersen really won't take all the sag out when you get much beyond 800-900 lbs tongue weight, so the mfr rating may be overstated somewhat.

I have an Andersen and used it last summer with my trailer (350 to 400 lb tongue weight, depending). I don't feel I need it for sway control, because my rig is very stable (despite 106" wheelbase on tug). But it smoothed out the ride, took away much of the jiggle, for my DW's sake. It is a good choice for the small trailer owner IMO.

But I do agree that the Blazer/Parkliner combo should be fine without weight distribution/sway control hitches, provided that the owner maintains a decent amount of tongue weight on the hitch. For a 2000 lb trailer, that would mean around 200 lbs or more.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM   #16

Virginia
Part of my problem is a very bad experience the one time I did tow. The u-haul trailer threw 2 wheels of my bronco over the guard rail during rush hour. I thought the guy at u-haul knew what he was doing and he didn't.

I was going about 45 mph in a 55 when the trailer started fishtailing. Wrong hitch for the Bronco. The trailer swung my car back and forth from one lane to the other and finally off the road into the ditch.
Old 01-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #17

Registry
Are you sure about the cause of the fishtail, Huck?

I ask because especially at such a low speed, the only thing that could be "wrong" about a hitch might be that it's too high, resulting in lightening tongue weight.

Most such events are caused by too much of load total behind the axle and not enough on the tongue. Here's a Youtube video demonstrating the very dramatic difference caused by improper loading:

Old 01-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #18

Virginia
Quote:
Are you sure about the cause of the fishtail, Huck?

I ask because especially at such a low speed, the only thing that could be "wrong" about a hitch might be that it's too high, resulting in lightening tongue weight.

Most such events are caused by too much of load total behind the axle and not enough on the tongue. Here's a Youtube video demonstrating the very dramatic difference caused by improper loading:
It was a combination. The ball should have been under the bumper and he installed a hitch that had the ball above the bumper, so the trailer was at an incline. Plus, he never gave me any instructions on how to load the trailer and I loaded too much weight toward the back of the trailer. (I spent my college summers working for a moving company, so I knew how to get a lot of furniture into a small space.) Now I realize I had way too much weight at the back of the trailer.

The result was I had poor traction and once it started fishtailing, I just went along for the ride. First I tried just easing off the gas. Still fishtailing. Then I tried tapping the brakes, but that made it worse. Finally I gave it some gas to see if I could pull out of it, but I just didn't have enough traction.

If any of you have driven the Dulles toll road at rush hour, you can realize how lucky I was just to end up straddling the guard rail and not taking out 5 or 10 cars
Old 01-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #19

Registry
Were you using a hitch ball installed right on the bumper, or one installed into a receiver tube? I ask because ballmounts that slide into a receiver-type hitch come in various drops/rises. Certainly one would expect U-haul to insert the appropriate one for the trailer you were renting-? I'm also surprised that you didn't get loading instructions...it's been a long time since I rented a U-Haul but if memory serves they not only gave me a booklet with loading instructions, there were stickers on the trailer itself per same.

I presume U-Haul got an earful- glad you weren't hurt!

Tough way to learn about loading, but at least you're gettin' started with Parkliner towing with a firm idea of how important it is.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:08 PM   #20

Virginia
Quote:
Were you using a hitch ball installed right on the bumper, or one installed into a receiver tube?
hitch ball installed right on the bumper. This was about 25 years ago and I was dealing with a small u-haul shop. I know there was a max weight on the trailer, but I don't remember any other guidelines.

Quote:
Tough way to learn about loading, but at least you're gettin' started with Parkliner towing with a firm idea of how important it is.
That's why I'm probably being a little overly cautious.

Tags
parkliner