Got our new PARKLINER!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-22-2014, 10:15 AM   #1

Name: Gretchen
Trailer: Coachman Freedom Express
Tennessee
Got our new PARKLINER!!!

Arrived late Friday afternoon to the Gibsonville factory. There she was! They were just putting on the last bits. We are very pleased with the quality. Slept very well in it. Cushions make a nice firm bed. Chandler did some really nice custom work on it for us. We asked for a deeper golden stain, kinda retro looking, the wood all looks so warm. I don't care for the million shades of beige that are on so many things. . . BORING. They also installed a lovely green mottled linoleum we had sent there. Again, hate the beige. Chandler went above adding a nice touch by also putting the flooring in the fridge panel, yay, more color! I put on some pretty green glass knobs. Sewed some custom shades with green trim, and got the green cushions! Pictures soon to follow!

Chandler also stayed an extra hour with us trying to help us get our lights to work, apparently we have an elec prob on our end, trailer worked just fine.

So, even if they are not so great at answering phone/emails, they do make a GREAT camper and we are so glad to have one. And very helpful in person.

I have a small truck, Chevy Colorado 5 cyl, got very good gas mileage 15 mpg about. But had some wobbling. Perhaps too much tongue weight for my truck? Its having a weight distribution hitch installed today. Maybe a bit over kill, but I hated the wobble and want to feel super safe. Most likely bigger trucks would have no prob.

Weird question, but since there is no outside storage and you can't fit sewer hose connections in the hose storage tube...where do you store one? In a box in the back of the truck I guess.

Am going to build a shelf 1/2 way down from the area to the left of the bath. Think I will suspend it. Any ideas?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post

I have a small truck, Chevy Colorado 5 cyl, got very good gas mileage 15 mpg about. But had some wobbling. Perhaps too much tongue weight for my truck? Its having a weight distribution hitch installed today. Maybe a bit over kill, but I hated the wobble and want to feel super safe. Most likely bigger trucks would have no prob.

YEA!!! Glad to hear you got your dream trailer. Please post pictures as it sounds like you have made some great chooses to make it your own personal trailer.

The wobble you mention is more common to Not Enough weight on the hitch vs to much weight on the hitch as you suggest. Is the trailer level when connects to the truck? If not it should be and if you can't get it level having it slightly down on the hitch is better than slightly up at the front. When up on the hitch a lot of the trailer weight moves to the back of the trailer which will cause wobble. Just as not loading the trailer up so that the weight inside is balanced well. To many items in the rear of the trailer vs over the axle of slightly ahead of the axle will also result in a wobble. A WDH is a good idea if you are worried you have to much weight on the hitch but you really should try and figure out what caused the wobble and fix that before relying on a WDH to keep you out a trouble. A WDH will not stop a good wobble or as some here like to call it the tail wagging the dog that can lead to big scary moments when towing.

BTW in case anyone hasn't shown you how to stop sway correctly there is a lever on your brake controller that is for that purpose. Use it to apply brakes only to the trailer which will bring the trailer back in controller much better than applying the brakes on the tug & trailer at the same time will! Using the brakes on the tug while the trailer is swaying is not a good idea! Can lead to bigger trouble.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #3

Name: Tammie
Trailer: ParkLiner
Alabama
Don't ya love it!
The more color, the better. I'm a quilter and can't help it, I just don't believe in beige. And the green glass knobs- oooh, sparkly!
Your suspended shelf sounds good, especially if you're using that bunk. We keep the dinette up, so that space is just storage for us. With or without the shelf, you might be interested in Rubbermaid's All Access organizer, a bin with a clear plastic door on the front, and a snap-on lid on top. Came in a pretty color, too We've stacked two of 'em there, and with a cushion in front, they make a great backrest for the dinette. They've stayed in place during travel, too.
Congratulations and enjoy!
Tammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:19 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Great timing to get your trailer. You must be doing the happy dance. Did you trying bumping up the tire pressure on the rear tires on the truck? Adding pressure will help with the load on them. Read the tire for max pressure.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:26 PM   #5

Tennessee
Thanks Tammie. Quilting is SO much fun. I was thinking of doing 2 8 x 12 mini quilts for those speaker areas, MORE COLOR!! I have just gotten fascinated with Batiks, so lovely. Thanks for the storage tips. Can't wait to get Fern all loaded up!
Old 04-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #6

Tennessee
No Steve, I didn't try that. Its got the WD hitch now, so kay sarah. I have carried heavy loads of rocks before and fish tailed which scared the bejeebers out of me. So, I'll do whatever it takes to be stable. Thanks
Old 04-22-2014, 03:30 PM   #7

Tennessee
THanks Carol. There is so much to learn here. This is our 3rd camper but so different from the others, I feel like a newbie again. Sounds like you have been doing this for awhile. As soon as I get her all tidy...making the bed in there isn't easy, I'll post some pictures. It is a fun thing, am feeling very blessed.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM   #8
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Great news

Pictures please!
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #9

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Congratulations! And let's see some pictures. ..love pictures

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Name: Pat
Trailer: Parkliner
Michigan
Sounds beautiful, can't wait to see pictures. I wanted to see the inside of one but I'm thinking it isn't really necessary. Gretchen, I will be really interested to hear what you do with the sewage hose.
Pat in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM   #11

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Gretchen,
We are so pleased for you! Congratulations. Sounds like you are well on your way to customizing things to suit you to a T.

Re: the 'ol stinky slinky, we keep the PL supplied one in its tube on the front of the rig. We use it when camping at state parks and using dump stations. If we're going somewhere with full hook-ups we have our longer hose and various fittings in a plastic tote that we stow in the bed of the Tacoma. We were thinking of some kind of attachment to the bumper but the tote turned out to be both practical and cheap, so we took that route.

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:34 PM   #12

Name: Thom
Trailer: Chevy AWD Van Conversion
Astoria Oregon
Registry
Hi Gretchen & congrats on the new arrival.

All the decore mods sound nice and as you say "colorful".
On the next-to-shower/berth area shelf idea...Cari & I are doing something similar yet instead of suspending the shelf will use 1/2" x 1" pine supports along the walls and then a chunk of marine ply for shelving. We will most likely use the whole front area as additional storage/pantry area (the first season we simply had a Rubbermaid bin there).

Happy Trails,
Thom
Archive: Parkliner #35 build thread
accrete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #13

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Good for you Gretchen! I'm doing drudge work on ours today - waxing it! Got about 70% of the roof done, and the whole right side. Working on it when the sun goes behind a cloud. By the way, make sure you have an 8' stepladder when you have a ParkLiner!

I'm so pleased that you're so pleased. ParkLiner does make a great egg, no question about it!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #14

Tennessee
New Parkliner pictures

Just a few pics, sorry a little messy, hard to make the bed in there. Still some more to do. Install undermount radio. We had a great weekend in it!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN1683.jpg   DSCN1678.jpg  

DSCN1679.jpg   DSCN1680.jpg  

Old 04-28-2014, 01:25 PM   #15

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Just a few pics, sorry a little messy, hard to make the bed in there. Still some more to do. Install undermount radio. We had a great weekend in it!
Wow! You folks sleeping sideways, or just threw the pillows over there to throw me off?!?

Gee, yours came with a guitar? I need to talk to someone in charge!

Sure looks like you folks are having fun. We're off for our first trip Saturday May 17, heading south to NC, can't wait. Just got a new plate for 006 today!

Where are you mounting the radio Gretchen? Better yet, shoot some pics when you're done.

Enjoy!

Frank
2012 ParkLiner #006
2013 4wd 4 door F150 3.5L Ecoboost with 9200# tow package
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 01:48 PM   #16

Name: Philip
Trailer: Escape 13 /Hyundai Santa Fe
British Columbia
Registry
It's a beauty! . Congrats.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:34 PM   #17

Tennessee
Are we sleeping sideways?? Felt fine to us. But, now that you mention it....

Am thinking radio near the tv so we can hear it outside without turning it up TOO loud.

The guitar was one of the options, didn't you see it? ;-)
Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #18

Tennessee
only thing about a shelf there, it will be in the way of the lower space under it which is great for clothes. hmmmmm....can 't decide just yet
Old 04-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #19

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Looks wonderful, so bright and cozy.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #20

Trailer: Tote N Tarry
If it's not already taken, you might want to get KERMIT on your personalized license plate for your new home.
Attached Images

Filbert V. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
parkliner