78 Triple E Surfside electrical charging upgrade " HELP " - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 10:09 PM   #1

Name: Dustin
Trailer: Triple e surfside
BC
Registry
Lightbulb 78 Triple E Surfside electrical charging upgrade " HELP "

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and looking for some insight on upgrading the electrical charging system in my 78 Surfside which has and still is going through an overhaul. I have the original 110/12v converter/charger wired up still and I have upgraded all wiring already, but I think I should upgrade the converter/charger to a newer model. Any suggestions ? Maybe a kit I could purchase and install ? ( the original converter/charger still works but I have yet to test it on a full week camping trip) Thanks !
Dwalk_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Converter/chargers are pretty simple minded devices. If it works, it works. I would not mess with it myself. As long as there is no corrosion?
TomE11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 10:59 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Basics.

The converter charger come into play when the trailer is plugged into a 120VAC connection. It's purpose to power the 12 VDC system while connected to shore power. The secondary thing the converter does is charge the battery, which is used when NOT connected to shore power.

The biggest concern for older converters is "over charging" the battery. Over charging boils the fluid out the battery thus destroying the battery. It's not a problem as long as you keep filling the battery with distilled water and don't let it get low enough to expose the plates.

I have eliminated any problems with a converter by eliminating the converter. When at home I keep a Battery Minder connected which keeps the battery fully charged and does a desulfating operation at intervals. When camping for more that 4 days I have a 65 watt solar panel that charges the battery. The battery gets charged another way, when under tow the tow vehicle keeps the battery charged.

I hope this helps in some way.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:00 PM   #4

Name: Brent
Trailer: Surfside
Manitoba
The original one could be 12VAC not 12VDC, so check the output. I replaced mine with a new 30A unit that includes space for 120V circuit breakers as well as 12VDC fuses, and includes a 3-stage converter/charger for the battery, so there's a float mode for keeping the battery charged on shore power without overcharging.
toderash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #5

Name: Garry
Trailer: Surf Side
Alberta
Registry
Tried the cheap chargers, forget it. Bought one of these and no problems with 12vdc charging or any 12vdc item.

https://www.amazon.ca/PowerMax-PM4-4...ower+Converter
The_Kramers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical, surfside