77 surfside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 06:26 AM   #1

Name: Paul
Trailer: surfside
Manitoba
77 surfside

Hello

I found this site trying to figure out how to fix a loose hinge in my surfside. Like someone had mentioned on here, it was attached to a piece of wood on the inside that had rotten. I cut an access hole, scraped out the wood and replaced the hardware with some nuts and bolts and big washers. Worked like a charm.

We took our camper on our first trip last weekend with no major issues. The door popped off and we had to ratchet strap it closed. And the windows were pretty floppy in the wind so I duct taped them down. other than that it went pretty smoothly.

There were some initial issues earlier in the month, the electrical harnass I bought didn't seem to be wired properly, and also there was a huge clunking sound when we first towed it. I have temporary magnetic lights on the bumper and got an anti rattle attachment for the hitch. I'll poke around on here and figure out the wiring when I have the time.

its been quite the learning experience having never towed anything before. ( we bought the camper before we had a vehicle to tow it!) but it was a great experience and we are looking forward to using it as much as we can.

we plan on doing some mods/renos in the future and i'll have to post some pictures when it starts coming together.

glad I found this place, thanks for the help so far!

Paul
77surfside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 AM   #2

Name: Jennifer
Trailer: 1979 Scamp 13'
Colorado
Registry
welcome!
Zennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 01:08 PM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
We love pictures. Is is a front gaucho, or a front kitchen model?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:09 PM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Surfside
Ontario
Registry
Great egg. I also had to repair door hinges on my surf side. I found that injecting some fibre glass resin in the holes where old hing was worked good to reinforce the area as wood also rotten on mine. I purchased some gate hinges from Lowes and Bob,s your uncle - good to go.

A great trailer enjoy the ride. Glad to hear you are already camping. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV

1978 Surf Side TM-14
2013 Hyundai Tusonhttps://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/images/smilies/cool.gif
Bushman-esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:12 PM   #5

Name: Robert
Trailer: Surf-Side
Manitoba
Lots of good advice and ideas here. Did you read about the Manitoba Rally coming up shortly? It is the first on the events list to the right of these posts. It is a great opportunity to see trailers and discuss challenges and what to do to make camping comfortable.
Bob in Mb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:36 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: 14ft Surfside Triple e
ON
Hi Paul,

We just purchased a 78 Surfside Triple E - 14ft and had a similar incident with the door. Your story was very familiar....we had to tie up the door and a used bungee cords to hold the windows in place. I made a quick trip to Canadian Tire and was able to do a quick repair. I am in the process of coming up with a more permanent solution. I have posted a few pics of the hinges in another thread. Once I make the repairs I will let you know how it all works out. It was a bit unsettling to have the door come off the hinge.

Cheers
Dave
Dave P. Ontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 07:06 AM   #7

Name: Paul
Trailer: surfside
Manitoba
Its got the bunk bed that turns into a seat by the front.

I wasnt able to attend the camper rally, maybe next year ill be able to plan for it better.

Ill check your post about the hinge repair. My door is still sagging a bit so i still gotta tweak it. Ill post pix in your other thread.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Fiberglass RV mobile app
77surfside is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
surfside