2008 16' Northern Lite Trailer - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2008, 03:31 PM   #1

Trailer: Lazy Daze Motorhome
Send a message via Yahoo to Sharono
Cool

Hi,
I'm a new member, and I have really enjoyed reading postings on this forum. My husband and I are searching for a fiberglass trailer to replace our beloved but gas hungry RV. I have been doing a lot of research on the Internet, and today I discovered on Northern Lite's website that the manufacturer has a new 2008 16' trailer. I know that they manufactured trailers in 1996 and 1999 that were well-rated. Is anyone familiar with this particular model? Also, if you know of any available fiberglass trailers within driving distance of Sacramento CA, please drop me an email at:

Link to My Email

Thanks,
Sharon
Sharono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:17 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi,
I'm a new member, and I have really enjoyed reading postings on this forum. My husband and I are searching for a fiberglass trailer to replace our beloved but gas hungry RV. I have been doing a lot of research on the Internet, and today I discovered on Northern Lite's website that the manufacturer has a new 2008 16' trailer. I know that they manufactured trailers in 1996 and 1999 that were well-rated. Is anyone familiar with this particular model? Also, if you know of any available fiberglass trailers within driving distance of Sacramento CA, please drop me an email at:

Link to My Email

Thanks,
Sharon
Hi: What about a 17' Escape trailer??? Google www.escapetrailers.com. They are first rate and built just over the border in B.C. Canada. They have a special pickup arrangement for U.S. residents.
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite / Suburban
Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum.

We have one of the 2000 models of the Northern Lite 16ft. We bought it earlier this year from one of the other forum members. We love it. It's very well put together. Northern Lite is also built in B.C. in Kelona and has been producing truck campers for 20 years and they are of the highest quality and it carries over to their trailer. I researched them on the internet and found a truck campers magazine that toured the factory and was impressed with their construction methods. The main differences between the older models and the new 2008's is in the toilet and the pop-out tent. The older ones have a wet bath, the toilet stall doubles as a shower stall. The new ones just have the toilet. The front wall on the old ones also opens up to reveal a fold-out tent bed similar to a tent trailer except that the wall/hatch acts as a roof for the tent. On the new ones, the front wall is a large closet. Other than than these two things, the floor plan is the same. There are pictures of the old style here on the website in the gallery. Here's a link. Happy hunting.
Mailie and Wayne
http://album.fiberglassrv.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1001
Mailie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 05:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Hi: What about a 17' Escape trailer??? Google www.escapetrailers.com. They are first rate and built just over the border in B.C. Canada. They have a special pickup arrangement for U.S. residents.

Hi Alf,
Thanks for your suggestion. We were able to see an Escape in our area through a referral from the factory. We were very impressed by them. We like the fact that they have windows in front and back which makes them seem much more open. They are definitely on our short list. Are you happy with your Escape 5th wheel?
Sharon
Old 06-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi Sharon, welcome to the forum.

We have one of the 2000 models of the Northern Lite 16ft. We bought it earlier this year from one of the other forum members. We love it. It's very well put together. Northern Lite is also built in B.C. in Kelona and has been producing truck campers for 20 years and they are of the highest quality and it carries over to their trailer. I researched them on the internet and found a truck campers magazine that toured the factory and was impressed with their construction methods. The main differences between the older models and the new 2008's is in the toilet and the pop-out tent. The older ones have a wet bath, the toilet stall doubles as a shower stall. The new ones just have the toilet. The front wall on the old ones also opens up to reveal a fold-out tent bed similar to a tent trailer except that the wall/hatch acts as a roof for the tent. On the new ones, the front wall is a large closet. Other than than these two things, the floor plan is the same. There are pictures of the old style here on the website in the gallery. Here's a link. Happy hunting.
Mailie and Wayne
http://album.fiberglassrv.com/main.php?g2_itemId=1001
Hi Mailie,
Thanks for replying to my post and letting me know that you love your Northern Lite. I enjoyed seeing the gallery pictures of the older model Northern Lite. Have you found that you have enough storage in your rig? I wonder how much space is in the 2008 model's back closet? The doors look rather small.
Sharon
Old 06-21-2008, 07:29 PM   #6

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
A couple of months ago I toured the factory and I was impressed with the quality of the construction.My personal feeling was that if I was going to have a Northern Lite trailer I would talk to the manufacturer to see if they would put one of their wet toilets from their truck campers in a trailer. One could then have a shower as well as toilet. Since it is a small, operation , I would think they might be open to that. If I remember there is lots of overhead cabinets and the 2008 trailers have a large closet in the front rather than the acess to the slide out like the older ones.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask if any of their dealers in your area have a trailer that you could look at. When we toured the factory there were two in the back lot.
Kent I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #7

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Hi Alf,
Thanks for your suggestion. We were able to see an Escape in our area through a referral from the factory. We were very impressed by them. We like the fact that they have windows in front and back which makes them seem much more open. They are definitely on our short list. Are you happy with your Escape 5th wheel?
Sharon
Hi: Sharon... Happy is an understatement!!! Thrilled is more like it!!! On our first trip/night some people saw us arrive and were out their door in a flash to take a look. Her comment was "look how light and airy it is in here". We are getting great fuel mileage( similar to what we got towing our Boler) towing this trailer and that seems to be paramount these days!!! It is so easy to hook up and unhook and set up is a breeze. We still have yet to unfurl the awning and will learn to set up the screen room when we get to Bolerama in July. So much camping so little time!!!
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 12:58 PM   #8

Quote:
A couple of months ago I toured the factory and I was impressed with the quality of the construction.My personal feeling was that if I was going to have a Northern Lite trailer I would talk to the manufacturer to see if they would put one of their wet toilets from their truck campers in a trailer. One could then have a shower as well as toilet. Since it is a small, operation , I would think they might be open to that. If I remember there is lots of overhead cabinets and the 2008 trailers have a large closet in the front rather than the acess to the slide out like the older ones.

I would contact the manufacturer and ask if any of their dealers in your area have a trailer that you could look at. When we toured the factory there were two in the back lot.
Hi Kent,
Yes, approaching the manufacturer re installing a wet bath is a good idea.
Thanks,
Sharon

Old 06-24-2008, 12:29 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Northern Lite (The TARDIS)
Quote:
Hi Mailie,
Thanks for replying to my post and letting me know that you love your Northern Lite. I enjoyed seeing the gallery pictures of the older model Northern Lite. Have you found that you have enough storage in your rig? I wonder how much space is in the 2008 model's back closet? The doors look rather small.
Sharon
Hi Sharon,

This is Mailie's husband, Wayne. Storage is a bit tight in our Northern Lite but we are learning to pack light as we are downsizing from a 22 ft stick-built trailer. I would imagine that without the tip-out bunk in the front, the forward closet would give you plenty of storage.

Wayne & Mailie.
Wayne D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 10:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Hi Sharon,

This is Mailie's husband, Wayne. Storage is a bit tight in our Northern Lite but we are learning to pack light as we are downsizing from a 22 ft stick-built trailer. I would imagine that without the tip-out bunk in the front, the forward closet would give you plenty of storage.

Wayne & Mailie.

Hi Wayne,
Thanks for answering the storage question. I think we will have to get used to travelling much more lightly too, since we are moving to a fiberglass trailer from a 22' RV, but I'm ready for the challenge.
Sharon
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 PM   #11

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Hi Alf,
Sharon
Hi Sharon. Everyone who has an Escape 5er seems to love 'em. The quality of workmanship, the thought that went into the layout, everything . . . is superb. I bought a lightly-used, almost-new Scamp 5er a few months before Escape came out with their 5er and proceeded to heavily modify my new Scamp (a look in the Modifications, Alterations and Neat Updates topic will give you an idea of how many changes I've made) to match my wants and needs. Wouldn't you know it? When Escape published their 5er floorplans they'd already incorporated most of the floorplan changes I'm still working to finish!

That said, the Scamp 5er is another option, particularly if you travel with kids. One of the family guys who posts here has owned two Scamp 5ers because it's such a great family camper. And, like the Escape, curious people who ask to see the insides marvel at how roomy it feels inside. Either trailer can be pulled by a 4-liter V6 pickup truck, and some people haul their lighter-weight Scamp 5er's with much smaller, four-cylinder Toyota trucks. If you're interested, I commented on the pros and cons of the Escape and Scamp 5er's in another topic.

Yet another option is the 20 foot (?) Bigfoot 5th wheel. They're no longer in production so you have to buy them used and potentially do some renovation, but if the Scamp or Escape 5th wheels feel "roomy" inside the Bigfoot 5ers feel "spacious" because they're wider than either Escape or Scamp's 5ers and have squared-off corners that make full use of the length and width of the trailer, and they, too, are well-built. On the downside, they're also heavier and they're no where near as aerodynamic as the Escape or Scamp, so you need a bigger, beefier, less fuel-efficient pickup truck to pull them.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
northern lite